“Great Restaurant, good hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Crab & Boar

You added The Crab & Boar to your Saves list
The Crab & Boar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wantage Road, Chieveley RG20 8UE, England (Formerly The Crab at Chieveley Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant, good hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

If you want an amazing meal, fantastic service and a good night's sleep after in a clean room then this will be perfect. The place could do with a bit of a spruce up, though clean it seems a little neglected and in need of some basic maintenance. That's why I couldn't in all conscience give it 5 stars. The restaurant is beyond 5 stars but the hotel isn't. However, well worth the money and the journey, especially if you go during the week and don't pay weekend premiums! Make sure you book a table as I've been a couple of times now and it was packed both times!

Room Tip: Been in a couple of the hot tub rooms and definitely worth paying a bit more for, very relaxing, esp...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Natasha H, Front Office Manager at The Crab & Boar, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hello Janina G,

Thank you for your review!

It was lovely to read that you had such a great stay with us, especially in our restaurant. In relation to your comments about the rooms, the maintenance and decoration of the rooms is on-going, but your comments are very much appreciated and have been noted.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again in the future!

Natasha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our second overnight stay at the Crab. Last year the quality of the food compensated for the few deficiencies in the Thai styled room...plug sockets and wires hanging off wall, lack of TLC on the jacuzzi patio, broken pots etc. Breakfast very lack lustre with fish bland and over cooked. However, location, quaintness and evening food drew us back to give it another try two weeks ago.
We stayed in the La Mamounia room which shares a garden boundary and window opening onto a really busy road. Traffic noise continued late into the night and started early in the morning.
We laughed off the wonky wardrobe door and the heavy drawer that fell out of the chest of drawers as we opened it.
Had to balance the coffee table against the jacuzzi as some one had removed the steps, probably as a warning not to go in as the water was murky. Once again, plant pots broken around the jacuzzi. We wrestled with the tatty cover with which you had to stand in the jacuzzi to get to it to pull the cover over.
The evening meal food was lovely. Service incredibly slow, it took an hour, two baskets of bread and nearly a bottle of wine to take our order. Thank you for the complimentary glass of wine for the wait for the main course. The chef had burnt the fish!
Breakfast...what can I say. 9 items on the menu and only one was available as there was a problem with the gas. No apologies/ explanations, so a glass of orange juice and cup of tea and toast.
Natasha the manager was not on site....probably helicoptered off for a decent nights sleep (see previous review).
She did telephone my partner the following day and said we can stay in a jacuzzi room for the price of a standard room if we rebook. Unfortunate about the kitchen problems with the gas.
Please, whoever owns this hotel, review your business whilst you still have it. Your chefs are working their socks off but you are losing your reputation through inadequate service, (including lack of customer service from the manager) and potentially nice rooms requiring refurbishment and maintenance.

Hello mbeel,

I was very disappointed to read this review on here for The Crab at Chieveley, considering that the way we had left the phone call the day after your stay was in an amicable and pleasant way.

I did apologise for the kitchen issues that we had, both in the evening and the morning. As you were aware, due to a gas supply problem 4 out of 5 stoves were not working, and on the Friday night we still had around 70 people in the restaurant when it all failed. The front of house staff did all that they could while the kitchen was trying to use one oven to cater for all of the guests, but as you can imagine, this was no easy task. This also then extended to the morning, as our engineer had not been able to fix the problem. This therefore meant that toast and cereals were nearly the only options, but again, there was very little we could do, however I do apologise for the inconvenience that this caused.

I am not entirely sure what was meant by your comment in relation to myself not being on site due to helicoptering off somewhere? I will gladly take criticism when it is applicable. However, I do not see what I did that warranted this. If you would like to call me to discuss this, I would be more than happy to listen.

Thank you for staying with us, and I would be more than happy to arrange a return visit for you if you were looking to do so as explained in the phone call.

Tadley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Located on the Ridgeway in Berkshire this restaurant has lovely views over the rolling countryside. The welcome from the staff was warm and friendly, and the staff were keen to help in every way.

We stayed in the Banyan Tree room, which was spotlessly clean and has a large 4 poster bed with views across the countryside. The bathroom was very spacious with a deep spa bath, and separate shower. As this was a birthday treat for me my partner had arranged for truffles and a bottle of Proseco in our room, which we decided to take into the garden to enjoy the sun. The rooms have DVD players, Nespresso machines, and lots of tea and coffee plus home made biscuits.

We ate in the restaurant but there is a fish bar for less formal dining, and the food was beautifully presented, very well cooked, and full of flavour. My partner started with lobster and tarragon tortellini and I had scallops; we both had pan fried turbot with fennel croquettes, buttered spinach, scampi (langoustine) in a Pernod sauce. The wine list is comprehensive and has wine grouped into 4 styles (for both red and white), and there were at least 6 wines in each category, so there are plenty of choice but the Albarino that was recommended matched the food very well. The portions were generous but we decided to order desserts anyway (chocolate fondant for Sharon and apricot and frangipan tart for me), which were very light but fantastic.

The breakfast menu had a good choice so we enjoyed the Eggs Royale and Eggs Florentine. The jams and marmalades are made locally, and the bio yoghurts with fruit puree reinforce an attention to the quality of the food. Having spent time on business trips it's nice to have something other than cereal and a full English breakfast, but this option is available as well.

This was our first visit to The Crab but it won't be the last, and I would recommend it to anyone. Remember to book a room though because if they are all like the Banyan Tree you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Simon B,

Thank you for leaving such an outstanding review on our page!

It is always lovely to hear great comments about the business, and yours are no exception! We were very pleased to hear you had such a lovely stay with us, and I have passed your comments on to all of the staff, both in the hotel and restaurant.

Please let me know when you would like to book again for, and maybe you could try one of our hot tub rooms instead next time to compare?

Southam, Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The lovely Nicky & I decided on the spur of the moment to helicopter down to The Crab, following some very positive recommendations. The helipad is ideally situated behind the car park.
I booked the La Mamoumia room because the weather was nice and it has its own private garden with hot tub. A glass of bubbly whilst sitting in bubbles was just the thing for my old bones!
Our room has a Moroccan theme, all are quite different. We loved it. Our evening meal was utterly delicious, my Full English breakfast was the same. The staff are just terrific. For sheer value for money, we have paid double elsewhere for half the quality and service we enjoyed at The Crab. If you like fish, this, as the name suggest, is for you. I actually don't and had a really nice lamb dish. Top marks and sincere gratitude to all at The Crab. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: I think the website could add a few more images to help the choice. We had a look at another, The Ba...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello PeterHolloway,

Thank you very much for your review, and your email to us!

We have taken your comments on board and are in the process of seeing what arrangements can be made on the area where helicopters can land.

As for the room and the restaurant, we are very pleased that we made such an impression. Our hot tub rooms are very popular, for those very reasons you have given! As for the images on the website, we very much agree that there are not enough photos on the website, and hopefully in the near future this will be changed.

We look forward to welcoming you back both back here soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Amazing amazing amazing food. Lovely rooms but were a bit cold as outside and vould fo with modernising. Lovely wine. Just hard to get to the tooms when you are heavily pregnant .... But I did have a big boy in my belly :)

• Stayed July 2012
Hello Jessica,

Thank you for your review 5-star review!

It was fantastic to hear that you had such a nice stay with us. I can understand that the stairs were a little tricky when you are pregnant, but I hope it wasn't too much strain for you.

Good luck with the pregnancy, and maybe we can meet your baby boy in the future!

Twyford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I have been 5 times and will be regulars for as long as we can. The restaurant continues to produce excellent food, beautiful presentation with different menu's all the time, be it lunch or dinner. The set menu's are exceptional value for what you get! You will get 5* food including heavenly desserts and pay roughly the same as some pubs/restaurants which don't even have Rosette awards. You must try it out! The decor has been done so beautifully with lobster pots, fish nets, and lots of nautical accessories. Dress code is smart/casual and the ambience casual. The staff are very good and pleasant.
If you like seafood you must visit The Crab at Chieveley. Don't miss out on this charming country village restaurant and its delicious seafood!!

Hello Alexandra,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is always a pleasure to read comments such as these.

We hope that we can welcome you back for a 6th time! Please just let us know if you would like to reserve a table for the future.

Thatcham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I rarely stay out so as a birthday treat we decided to book a room at the Crab. We had eaten at the Crab before and enjoyed our meal the first time around and felt like we were really treating ourselves by booking a room. The room was the Soneva Fushi and is in need of an update, the wallpaper was covered in splashes of liquids and the rug was dirty looking as was the seating. The meal was ok but we were clearly forgotten about and had to ask for the dessert menu after some time. The breakfast was a total let down as there was a problem in the kitchen so they could not offer cooked breakfast, to be fair they did offer in the end bacon sausage and mushroom, but with no sauce or eggs it wasn't great. We did ask for toast and marmalade but only received toast. We certainly won't be in a hurry to go back which is a shame as we were really looking forward to it.

Hello TSJD,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We were all very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. In relation to the kitchen, we had had a major equipment failure, which did disrupt both dinner and breakfast. This therefore put a huge amount of pressure on the front-facing staff, but I do appreciate that the items you have mentioned should not have occurred at any rate.

As for the room, we are constantly updating and re-decorating the rooms, but my apologies that you found your room to be unsatisfactory. I have spoken to housekeeping in relation to the comments you have provided and we have taken steps to address those issues.

I do hope that we can welcome you back at some point in the future, if not for a stay in one of our rooms then at least for dinner, as the problems experienced in the restaurant were definitely not of our normal level of both service and food.

Please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to arrange something for you.

Natasha

Been to The Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!