On the whole, another lovely meal. Sea bass with prawns main course particularly good (could have done with more saute potatoes); my wife requested a salad instead of the fondant potato with her tuna main course, yet what she actually got was a small garnish on the side of the plate.
Desserts were exceptional. We ordered an assiette of desserts, which was essentially a tasting plate of about 5 or 6 desserts, each and every one of them, exquisite. We also ordered the popular 'gold bar' with peanut butter ice cream, again, delicious.
Wine: the bottles of sancerre and then a NZ malbec, was as good as I have ever had.
The letdown for me were the oysters, which I always have as a starter and was looking forward to. They were the smallest and most disappointing I can remember eating, and they seemed to be lacking in flavour. Two of the 6 were the size of a 50p piece, I'm surprised they even made it to the pass, let alone be served. And rather than the usual platter with the oysters served on ice, they were on a plate with 2 shot glasses, one of which was a disappointing shallot vinegar, the other one I have no idea what it was, I couldn't tell by tasting it. Very disappointing, but not something I would have complained about when we were being treated by friends.
Still a lovely evening; great company, great food overall, lovely restaurant, great service, attentive staff etc. In spite of my disappointment with the oysters, it remains my (joint) restaurant of choice in the area, along with 'the halfway', at Kintbury.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crab and Boar is an award-winning country inn specialising in fresh seafood and game with an enviable reputation both locally and nationally. Our 14 bedrooms have been designed with your comfort in mind and include luxurious bed linen, flat screen TVs, Tea & Coffee making facilities and free Wi-Fi. Some rooms feature an outdoor hot tub. The Crab and Boar is the place where you can relax in a warm and eclectic atmosphere, and where we bring you the best seafood and game to your table. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, LateRooms and Odigeo so you can book your The Crab & Boar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crab At Chieveley Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Chieveley
- The Crab & Boar Chieveley, Berkshire