“Best food in south uist!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Orasay Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lochcarnan
Orasay Inn
Lochcarnan HS8 5PD, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Lochcarnan
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Best food in south uist!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Staff great, food very reasonable priced, great special's board, all local seafood, staff very friendly. Hotel is undergoing refurb, which was explained! Family run business, massive portions given, and beautiful,view from dining room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a week will travelling to South Uist for work. Even though we arrived late, the manager ensured that the restaurant stayed open so that we could have a proper meal after our long journey. Even though the hotel looks unimposing from the outside, the rooms are spacious and well appointed, with some great views of the Hebridean countryside.

After each working day, we came back to a warm and cozy communal lounge with comfortable sofas. There was a good selection of beers and spirits on offer from the bar. We ate at the hotel every night of our stay and not once were we disappointed. The menu had a number of excellent choices and the food was truly amazing; proper top quality restaurant dishes. The cooked breakfast was also one of the best and largest that I've ever been served in a hotel.

Even though I couldn't get a decent phone signal, there was free WiFi in the communal areas of the hotel, which was fast enough to get some work done. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Orasay Inn and myself and my colleagues will be staying here throughout the duration of our project.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The welcome at the Orasay Inn was, quite simply, above and beyond what could ever have been expected - a welcome opportunity to warm up and eat on a particularly stormy day during our cycling holiday. A clear sign we were in for a good stay was the fact that the chef (on her way home) stopped to ask if she could help us as we cycled down the lane and, once we had said we were looking for some food, turned around to put something together for us! On arrival, the staff were extremely friendly and assisted us in drying our sodden clothes, including offering to tumble dry them. We stayed for lunch and the fresh food was quite simply amazing - outstanding smoked bacon soup and fish pie, with quantity matching quality. Wholeheartedly recommended for a friendly welcome and an outstanding meal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
S Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were on a touring holiday in the Outer Hebrides where we received excellent service and hospitality everywhere except here. We phoned during the afternoon to confirm and book a table for dinner, yet when we arrived, having booked 2 rooms for 3 people only one single room was available. Water was leaking onto the reception desk, the proprieter did not finish dealing with the guest ahead of us before dealing with us and was beligerent, blaming the system of on-line booking for his mistake, which he finally conceded was his mistake, but never at any point apologised. He did find us alternative accommodation at a nearby B&B which was excellent and provided by a very pleasant and welcoming lady. However when we arrived for our evening meal we were not welcomed, the proprieter was nowhere to be seen and there was no conciliatory gesture such as a drink on the house. The meal was mediocre and served in cold serving dishes and on cold plates, so quickily lost its heat. We would certainly not recommend this hotel or ever wish to return!

Room Tip: Don't bother - go elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
orasayinn, Owner at Orasay Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
It was most unfortunate what happened with this lady's reservation. The problem arose from my limited, previous experience of one particular online booking channel (not our own online service, found on our website). We had never received a multiple booking on this service and if on receipt of booking I had scrolled down and found that there was a following page, there would have been no problem. It is indeed true that the lady had telephoned and said that they would be arriving guests and would like dinner. The member of staff informed her, without checking the reservation, that unless advised to the contrary, we reserve tables for guests. I did realise, before their arrival, that there may be a problem with the reservation and made provisional arrangements at a very good, nearby B&B.
Before this party arrived for their evening meal, I received a call to pick-up some fresh seafood, so went of to collect. I was fairly sure that I would be back in time to see them. When I returned I found that they did not spend much time between arrival and departure, so I was unable to catch up with them.
On their earlier arrival I did say that a mistake had obviously, been made and when I was able to cross check their documents I found that it was on my part, for which I certainly apologised. I then confirmed the reservation at the B&B.
It is a fact of life that errors do occur and we should try to make amends. I should have tasked one of our staff to ensure that a suitable gesture was made, I do regret. not making such an arrangement
I can understand that the lady would be irked, but feel that hitting back by attacking the meal was rather naughty. My wife is the chef and during the many years of our marriage I know that one of her pet hates is cold plates and I can quite categorically state that nothing would be presented and served on cold dishes. If she was unhappy with the meal, it would have been better if she had commented when asked.
The aforementioned small amount of water, on the reception desk, was as a result of some over zealous watering of a decorative plant. The guest who arrived ahead of them was a many times returning guest who was welcomed and provided with the key to his room.
Argyll
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Went to Orasay Inn for a meal and had a an excellent experience, friendly and accomodating staff, comfortable surroundings, varied menu, very good portions, delicious seafood and choice of veg & potatoes. Very good value for money. Thank you for a scrumptious meal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

During our 8 day cycling tour this was definitely a low point. We stayed at various B&Bs & hotels on the way and this was by far the worst and certainly not the cheapest. The room was tiny & smelled strongly of cat pee, all surfaces were sticky, the TV didn't work and the walls so thin we were treated to the sound of our neighbour coughing up phlegm all night. To be fair, the breakfast was nice & the staff friendly but this does not represent good value for money and if you have a choice there are better options available. The dinner was terribly expensive for poor quality food (lots of it, but inedible - gritty mussels, puck-like scallops & prawns with the digestive tract in place - all yours for £22). I know they talk about on about 'Island' prices, but everywhere else we ate was better value and certainly better quality - and we travelled from Harris down to Barra and back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
orasayinn, Owner at Orasay Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
It is annoying when guests compare B&B prices with hotels. It should be remembered that almost all B&B's do not have to charge 20% VAT, do not pay commercial rates, have no employees (so no wages or employers contribution tax to pay) and do not provide full hotel services. We find, when checking local B&B prices, that if VAT, alone, had to be added that they would be comparable and in some cases, more expensive than ours.
We have 2 rooms which are sold to prospective guests as small (but not tiny). The en-suites are fairly spacious and there are no tom cats around (2 collies make sure of that). We have had the same, extremely reliable, housekeeper for 15 years who is puzzled about the 'sticky surfaces'. If we are told that the TV is not working, we can remedy the situation but it should be noted that it worked before and has done since. As the hotel has been extended, in the past the wall between their and the neighbouring room is constructed of timber frame and concrete block, so is certainly not thin. The Hebridean (seafood) Paella which the reviewer had is one of our more requested dishes. Two others were ordered and enjoyed that evening. The seafood comes from efficient, reliable local processors. The guest fails to mention that they were offered and turned down another choice and were not charged for the meal.
We remain confident with what we offer and we aim to please but you can't win them all.
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Lovely staff, great base, but best of all the most comfy bed I have ever slept on. Easy to find and not too far of the main road.

Been to Orasay Inn? Share your experiences!