“Great atmosphere and food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Zigzag
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Garland, Texas
“Great atmosphere and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This barbecue joint completely took us by surprise. Nestled in the foot hills of Mount Hood, Skyway Bar & Grill is housed in an charming building created in the 60's by an architect who collected antique windows and other building materials such as tin paneling for the ceilings; a fascinating little piece of architecture. The barbecue was delicious, and being from Texas we have high expectations for our barbecue, as were their original cocktails and unique side dishes. They create a unique barbecue sauce each week (ours was delicious) and feature local produce in their dishes. On weekend nights Skyway features live local music (and I believe Karaoke on Thursday nights), and we got to see a fantastic big band perform. The staff was very friendly and warm, and the owner came to our table to tell us about the building. Skyway is a must-do when you are in the area!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wasco, Oregon
“Stumbled upon this gem...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stumbled upon this place driving around looking for another place that my husband remembered eating at before. We drove by and the smell was almost mouth watering! It's kind of a funky little place, but the food is amazing! Everything we had - the bar-b-q sampler, the mac & cheese, the frickles, the buffalo wings - was terrific!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Terrific traditional bar-be-que with flair and a twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I love this place. The pork ribs and pulled pork are terrific. And for vegetarians, there's even bar-be-que tofu. Apart from traditional bar-be-que offerings, the menu is quite eclectic, with a range of selections including salmon, pork chops, chicken, conventional sandwiches (Reuben, e.g.). And of course, Mac 'n cheese. And a full bar to boot. The restaurant itself is a fun, high-energy place with a laid-back mountain quality. Live music adds to the fun. My only issue is that, in the winter, the cool -- sometimes cold -- mountain weather finds its way into the building, creating some unwanted drafts that require us stay bundled up as we dine. Apart from that, it is a complete and satisfying dining experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Decent food, very cool atmosphere , but the worse service I've ever had.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I've been here twice and possibly never again. The server was absolutely awful. Took a long time to bring our bill, we had to ask for it. Then she would not collect it. We were completely ignored. We tried to get her attention as she seated new folks and cleaned tables. I tried to convince my friends to just leave if they didn't want our money. I got up w the bill and credit cards and had to find our waitress to give to her. Then when waiting forever for her to return processed bill and credit cards we watched her seat more people, clean more tables, I had to get up and loudly announce for her to give us our bill. The stupid waitress had it in her apron pocket the whole time. It was the most ridiculous situation I've ever been in. Before this incident I would have happily brought out of town visitors here after a day of snowboarding mt hood. I will have to take them somewhere else. Very disappointed. I have receipt w/ her name on it and will include it later so if you do want to go for food and atmosphere make sure to avoid this pathetic waitress. And I still need to call the manager/owner about her.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Decor was unique atmosphere was as well but make sure you have their Mac & Cheese.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

BBQ was just OK. The portion we got of BBQ was lacking. Their Mac & Cheese was the bomb. I'd eat here again but think I'd do it minus the kids.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere