“Can't believe what I read from another reviewer about Stermer Hall” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sturmer Hall

You added Sturmer Hall to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Church Walk, Sturmer CB9 7XD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Sturmer B&B and Inns
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Can't believe what I read from another reviewer about Stermer Hall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

"Call the hotel inspector" That is a total insult to this lovely hotel! Fantastic spotlessly clean rooms with loads of quality touches... Lovely friendly staff and the food was great as was the entertainment in the lovely lakeside pavilion.. Will definitely be visiting again very soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Firstly, never believe what you see or read on a website. When you are at Sturmer Hall you are definitely not “at home” as stated on the Hotel page. You are in a 145 pound/per night room that has a small “King size” (low to the ground with no foundation below the mattress), uncomfortable bed, no windows, no fan or air conditioning, no security (if you don’t want to suffocate you have to leave your doors open), no room safe, no telephone, no luggage rack, no bar fridge or ice machine, no hotel reception, no one to help with your luggage, no hotel information folder or service listing or even emergency procedures. The list goes on and on! If you are really unlucky, you also encounter the most rude and unprofessional hotel owner. That is, if you have the audacity to criticize the lack of any of the basic amenities listed above. An owner/hotelier who states that he will have the authorities remove you from the premises because he really doesn’t care if you want to stay there or not. This was the worst example of customer service and lack of consideration that I have seen in my forty five years of traveling the world. Both my wife and I have stayed in many British hotels that certainly have made us feel like valued guests and not annoying “Americans” as we were called by the owner (note: I was born in Haverhill and now live in Canada with my Canadian wife). If you are American you probably wouldn’t be allowed in the gates!
Since I was born only a few miles away 67 years ago, I had planned a return to my childhood and teenage haunts after 45 years. This was a chance to share some special moments with my wife in an ideal setting as a base for our 5 days of re-discovery. This was supposed to be a romantic 5 day stay at what is advertised as” the perfect place to relax”. After an overnight flight from Toronto, Canada and a 3 hour drive from the airport we were ultimately faced with finding alternate accommodation for the remaining 4 days of our visit back to the place where some of my fondest memories were conceived. Needless to say we now have a very poor memory of this establishment and its owner. For the remaining weeks around England we encountered only professional hoteliers with a willingness to make us feel welcomed and our custom valued.
We concluded after this horrendous ordeal that if you are at a wedding or other event it is obviously convenient to stay instead of driving home providing you are willing to spend this kind of money. However, if you are looking to choose a hotel with a high standard of service and professionalism, this is definitely not the place to be. I feel sorry for the staff that has to endure such tyrannical management. The only good thing I can say about Sturmer Hall is that one young lady who appeared to work there all day and night was extremely pleasant to us.
By far the most pleasant feeling though was re-locating to a hotel that provided all of the services listed above including an 80 inch square king-size bed and accommodating staff for considerably less money. Goodbye Sturmer, I’m trying to forget that part of my vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I would have over-looked this hotel if I hadn't been invited to a friend's birthday gathering and what a shame that would have been. Fantastic friendly service and large rooms (in the house) in lovely surroundings. I was impressed by the wine selection and quality of the food for a group booking. Definitely a place to consider for a special occasion.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 104 which was large and spacious
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night last summer and have been wanting to go back since. We stay in a lot of hotels all over the place - we travel alot - but this remains one of favourite places.

We stayed in a room within the out building which was lovely! it was very clean and peacefull. Although the furnishings etc were well up to standards. The room was cleaned whilst we were out and I am particularly messy.... what I really liked was that all my clothes had been picked up from the piles I had dumped them in (all over the room not just the floor) and had been nealty folded - as I said, we have stayed in a lot of places and never have we had this happen. Room attendendants seem to just clean around my mess. I guess some people might find this invasive but I really loved it.

I agree with the review that there was no temprature controll and the only option would be to open the double doors - but given the surroundings this wouldnt bother me, we literally didnt see a single person for the entirety of our stay - we were shown our room when arrived and that was it.

We hope to come back in 2013

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My feelings on Sturmer Hall are mixed because as the venue for my brother's wedding it was wonderful but for somewhere, far from London, that was offering me accomodation for £125 a night as a "bargain" price, it was not really worth the money.

I don't think it is unreasonable when you are paying £125 a night for a room, to expect the shower to not be feeble and be able to cope with more settings than extrememly hot or freezing cold. There were also weird brown marks on the bathroom ceiling. There is also no form of temperature control in the bedroom- there are no windows or air con, so when it gets hot and stuffy at night, you either have to risk opening the french doors to the world (I was accomodated in one of the several ground floor rooms in the outhouse buildings) or suffer in the heat. Having seen the accomodation of some of the other wedding guests at the Days Inn down the road, which was almost of a third of the price, I was struck with envy at the size of the giant double beds. The double in my room at Sturmer Hall was tiny by comparison. Getting to Sturmer Hall is also unecessarily difficult as there is no signposting and the long drive is littered with potholes.

That said, Sturmer Hall has the cosy feel of an aristocrat's ye olde country residence with wood panelling, a roaring fireplace, and old books everwhere. Faults aside with my room, it was lovely and spacious with a giant flatscreen TV and simple but attractive decor. Maybe the rooms in the house lack the faults of the outhouse rooms. In the sunshine the buildings with surrounding countryside and lake and pond looked picturesque (barring the fact you get a view of Haverhill which is not an attractive town at all). I was also impressed at how helpful the staff were, serving breakfast especially early for me on one day and the food was also delicious.

The wedding reception in the marquee by the lake was very fun, with good food and an impressive band (the comedians who appear to be an immovable part of wedding package do let the rest of the entertainment down though).

So yes, a great wedding venue, but if you are a guest perhaps stay at the Days Inn up the road.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Lovely homely atmosphere log fire burning in the hall..we were made very welcome,by the owner Daniel and his great team.breakfast was lovely..and i must all the staff were available to help with any questions we would definitely go again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Absolutely amazing time, top class hotel with a difference, Daniiel the owner made us so welcome, we stayed for over a week in beautiful rooms, a roaring fire in the lounge and great food. Caring staff that became friends, I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: 202 was a lovely room beautiful view and spacious bath, 207 was quieter, but all the rooms are quiet...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sturmer Hall? Share your experiences!