“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Pierre Bahamas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Long Island
Chez Pierre Bahamas
You added Chez Pierre Bahamas to your Saves list
Millers Bay, Long Island   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Long Island
Atlanta, Georgia
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We spent seven days at Chez Pierre and absolutely loved it! The location is pretty, the beach clean and deserted with shallow, pure water. You can use Pierres kayaks (for free) and we spent many hours kayaking around the coast. Pierre also provides snorkeling equipment and owns cars which you can rent at affordable prizes and made very helpful suggestions which places on the island are worth a visit.
The food is delicious!
As to Pierres personality (that some people seem to have problems to understand): Pierres ways can seem rude at times to people who do not know him and do not understand his humor. He, indeed, is not rude at all. He just likes to mess with people. We got to know him as a very warm-hearted, funny, charming person.
The only unpleasant thing about our stay were the many bug bites i caught there - but I guess spending a week in paradise must have its downsides.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I'd like to say a few good things about this place and then put some of the bad comments into context.

My opinion:
The beach Chez Pierre is on is beautiful, long and virtually deserted - my girlfriend and I had the whole beach to ourselves most of the time! The cabins are clean and right on the beach - the picture you see of one of the cabins must have been taken by somone standing in the water! The bathroom is basically a partition so yes, sometimes you might want to ask your partner to go for a walk! The food was great, mostly Italian contrary to what you might expext from the name! As a resident you don't get a choice from the menu for dinner but that makes sense given how difficult it must be to get fresh ingredients to the island.

Other People's opinion:
Bugs: We went in March so I think we missed the worst of the sandflies. The cabins are surrounded by fly paper (including under the wooden slats) so you aren't at risk of getting bitten when inside. The same goes for the restaurant.
Showers: Ok, there is no fresh water supply on this island and the showers are somewhat brackish but the sea isn't really that salty anyway so it's no big deal. We just used a little fresh water (which Pierre provides in gallon jugs) to wash our hands and faces. Someone also complained about not being provided with shampoo which is just ridiculous. You are in the middle of nowhere - if you want luxury stay in Nassau!
The road: Again, you're in the middle of nowhere and you won't even be driving your own car! It's not so hard to drive 10mph for 5-10 minutes is it?
Pierre: The man is a little odd and he can seem like he's being a bit short with you but that is just his way. Don't take offence if he seems rude, I don't think he means it! By the end of our stay (5 days) he had really warmed up and was laughing and joking with us. Pierre did everything for us including arranging a rental car, taxis and telling us where was good to go (we had uncharacteristicly done little research for this vacation!).

I would definitely go back if I ever found myself looking for a place to stay in the Bahamas again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
leland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Be prepared to renounce the frivolous. Life here is simple and pure. Excellent breakfasts and dinners (I mean excellent), lunch sandwiches available on request. Excellent, shallow beach on leeward side of island. Isolated from any other businesses (on purpose.) Residents hiked, you can fish, rent cars, but I sat and read and wrote for seven days. The big event for me was to walk a hundred yards to meals. Pierre runs this place incredibly professionally pretty much single-handed. He is out of Montreal where they know how to run restaurants. If you want shear peace, this is the place.

Room Tip: all equally on the beach, surf breaking 100 feet in front
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I recently spent 3 days at “Chez Pierre” on Long Island in the Bahamas. I was scheduled to spend 8 but ended up cutting my stay short as a result of an incident one evening.
I had bought milk that day while sightseeing and had some left over. When I went down to dinner, I brought it with me and asked Pierre if I could store the unused portion in the refrigerator overnight. My request was dismissed with the wave of a hand and a snarl. I was told to go to my table and that I would be dealt with later. I meekly complied.
The following morning at breakfast I calmly broached the subject with Pierre. He didn’t appreciate what I had to say and explained that people come to his establishment for its location and not for him, the insinuation being, I think, that this entitles him to treat guests however he sees fit. He reminded me that he was still the owner and added that if I didn’t like how I was being treated, I was free to leave.
I should point out straight off that I hail from the same country as Pierre, indeed from the same province end even city. I speak his language and share his cultural heritage. That alone, I thought, would guarantee me a measure of courtesy if not a friendly welcome.
I had read the TripAdvisor reviews before going and arrived with some trepidation. From the get-go, I made a point of speaking to him in French in the hope of establishing a good rapport. I overlooked his brusqueness the first two days telling myself that we're all different and no one is perfect, including me. But I drew the line at the milk incident.
I think there is some truth to what another reviewer said about the advantage of having an attractive female companion while at Pierre’s. Unfortunately, I’m a guy and I was traveling solo, but I’m considered fairly personable, and just for the record, guys have feelings too. As for another comment by the same reviewer to the effect that Pierre treats others the way they treat him, I beg to differ. I spent three days praising his cooking in his own language; I don't see what more I could have done except take it on the chin when I was browbeaten and pretend it never happened. That being said, he did show acts of kindness like buying whole grain cereal and herbal tea when I asked for them, but they are largely overshadowed by his general rudeness.
As for the accommodation, it consists of six eco-style cottages right on the beach but far enough apart to afford some peace and privacy. I was in cottage number 3. It was basic but more or less comfortable. The mattress could have been better even for an eco-lodge. The water is not simply brackish as one reviewer has said. It is pure seawater pumped straight from the ocean (Pierre will admit to that, but you have to ask). The path to my cottage was lined with round concrete pavers about a foot in diameter, a foot apart and 4-6 inches off the ground so that you had to step from one to the other. This may not be the best for an older person or someone with reduced mobility. The hedges on either side of the path are pretty close together with sharp protruding branches. On two occasions, I got my shoulders caught on them badly enough to draw blood. They need to be trimmed back about a foot as a safety measure, all the more so because there is almost no lighting at night. The windows in the bathroom area, including the shower, don’t close. That can be great when it’s warm, but it can feel chilly if you’re having a shower when a cold front is passing through. There is no door between the bathroom and the bedroom so that you probably have to be on pretty good terms with whomever you're sharing with.
The food, as others have pointed out, is superb, miles ahead of the usual fare in the Bahamas, usually a fresh tasty salad with homemade vinaigrette as an appetizer followed by an equally mouthwatering entree. Desert was simply ice cream on the 3 nights I was there. As good as the food is, however, it doesn’t make up for the owner’s abrasive, condescending attitude. The least one can say is that Pierre doesn’t seem cut out for customer service. When I was there, the resort was empty and I think I know why. Out of six hotels on Long Island, it’s rated last on TripAdvisor for a reason.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Chez Pierre's on Long Island was unquestionably one of the best vacations we have ever had. We spent a week experiencing great beaches, friendly and interesting people, unique things to do and Pierre's amazing cooking. You cant beat sleeping in a beachfront cottage cooled by ocean breezes and listening to the surf. We are already talking to some friends about coming back in the Nov-Dec timeframe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Kearneysville, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

For a 30th anniversary present to ourselves, my wife and I were Pierre's guests in one of his 6 beachfront cottages on Millers Bay, the week after Christmas. This was the first of what we hope to be many future visits, as our host could not have been more gracious and accommodating. Being experienced Caribbean visitors (mostly to the BVI), we had pretty much resigned ourselves to mediocre meals in paradise. But at Pierre's, we looked forward every day to the results of his culinary artistry. His fresh grouper dish on day 5 was a revelation. I came with flyrod, and sort of figured out the bonefishing pattern in the flats in front of our cottage, but would still recommend a day with the clear-sighted Locksley, if you want to actually land one of these buggers.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at Chez Pierre for a week in march. We absolutely loved the place and can only recommend it. Cabins are basic but right by the sea. The food is world class and if you want to get away from everything, Chez Pierre is the right place. Don't expect anything fancy but if you like to experience real island atmosphere, then this is the right place.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Chez Pierre Bahamas? Share your experiences!