“Always a pleasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Long Island
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have been going to Long Island since I was very young, and the Stella Maris Resort has always treated me like family. Whether I was a guest at the resort itself, or simply visiting the restaurant and bar, I have always been greeted like family. When the stove broke on a property I was staying in not owned by the Resort and I showed up desperate and unfed, the staff at Stella Maris made sure I had something to eat and the phone number of the island electrician who arrived early the next morning and fixed the problem
The past three years I have had the pleasure of visiting the resort during Christmas/ New Year and every time I am newly amazed at the fun loving and inclusive atmosphere that the owners create. All of their parties include local people, music and food, a refreshing difference with some other establishments on the island. Even as a young teen, my parents had no qualms about letting me stay late at resort parties or go explore relatively unsupervised because of the positive, safe environment in Stella Maris. Island time is a reality in Stella Maris, as elsewhere on Long Island, but it never impeded my daily activities, and was much more refreshing than it was a hinderance. I look forward to making it back to Long Island this coming year, at least once, if not more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of visits to Stella Maris with your family. One of my favorite trips was in my 20's with Mom, Dad, Grandma, and all my siblings (5 of us). A wonderful holiday filled with sun, sea and sand - and over 30 years ago! We, like you, came to think of Long Island as our 'island home' and the people as our extended family.

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Crystal River, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for a week at the resort. The rooms are very clean. The food at the restaurant is very tasty. The very friendly staff treated me like family. The views from the room were stunning. The place is remote but offers various beaches to visit. The staff is very knowledgeable about the area and suggested places to visit on days that I wan't bonefishing. I would highly recommend this resort, especailly if you need to get away from it all.

Room Tip: Call Jill and she will set you up with the type of accomodations you are looking for.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
So nice you hear you enjoyed your visit to Stella Maris and Long Island's lovely beaches. Indeed, Jill and all of our staff are happy to help guests select the best room or cottage for their stay. Whether an ocean view room, or one of our cottages, or a three-bedroom villa with a private pool; Stella Maris has accommodations to suit our guests' requirements.
Hope you caught 'plenty bonefish', and that you return soon.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent the New Year's holiday at the Stella Maris Resort for the second year in a row and had yet another fabulous experience. We had two beautiful rooms which were spotless and well appointed. The resort is small enough to be cozy but large enough to offer a wide range of activities. It is family owned and operated which makes all the difference. The food is delicious and well priced and events are scheduled almost nightly. The New Year's Eve party was a blast with a huge buffet, a live band and games. It was a great opportunity to meet folks from all over the world as well as some fascinating locals. We will be back again next year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I love the holidays at Stella Maris; the food, the fun, the people all add to the marvelous mix of the celebration of the season. I remember one New Year's Eve, an impromptu costume party themed 'Under the Sea'. Guests were charged with creating themed costumes from 'whatever was at hand'. The inspired creativity made for a memorable evening.
Hope to have you back again for the next holiday season, or whenever the spirit moves you.
Warm wishes,
Buford, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just read a review from a couple on their honeymoon who stayed at Stella Maris while we were there. In fact they stayed in the cottage next to us. Let me give you my take on the resort.
We too had a one bed room cottage and we loved the view. We have the advantage of privacy, lots of room and a BEAUTIFUL view that I am attaching a picture of.
It is a minute walk to the ocean and another minute to the bar and beach. Please! If you can. do that..... Part of the charm of the resort is walking places and enjoying the sights, smells and ocean breezes.
It has always been the resort policy to have no keys because the island is so safe. The resort provides a safe free of charge and we leave our passports and extra money their. We have been going 15 years and have never had the first thing stolen of even disturbed. Once we threw away a watch that no longer worked and we were flagges down at the airport to have it returned to us. Once I left a pair of cheap reading glasses behind and they were wrapped carefully in a napkin and kept until my return visit. The people at the resort are an honest, proud group of people and would be offended to know that honesty was in question.
There was a problem with the water heater. Rather than post in on TripAdvisor, we went to one of the owner managers and the problem was addressed.
Is KMM aware that cars entering the Bahamas carry up to an 85% duty in addition to the cost. The people on the island don't make alot of money - even the businesses - have to be resourceful and thrifty, We don't expect the same kind of car we get in the US be we aren't in the US. We go to experience something different and do our best to fit in with the people there and not be spoiled American tourists.
We think there are more than enough activities. We make our own fun exploring the island, the people and the beaches. This is not a Sandals resort where you have fake treasure hunts. We have priced the only other decent resort on the island and Stella Maris is at least 30% less for and all inclusive package and well worth every penny.
Drinking water - no where on the island is tap water potable. The resort will provide all the FREE drinking water you want. So sorry you have to carry it to your room!!!!!
Finally the management and staff - how dare you call them rude and liars!!!!! We have been going 15 years and have always and consistently been treated honestly and with respect.
Stella Maris is NOT the place for spoiled American tourists. It is a place for TRAVELLERS who want to experience something different that the place they come from. If I wanted everything like it was in America, i would have stayed in America. This couple needs to go to Disney World where all the fun is fake. We love those moments when we discver a new beach, see a sting ray in the bay, watch an osprey catch a fish, sit with a native on her fron porch as she plaits straw, or talk to local fisherman.
If this couple had opened up to the experience instead of being so critical, they would have discovered the REAL Bahamas and made friendships that lasted a life time. Shame on you for wasting the experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Stella Maris is such a special place. Delighted to hear that it is favorite of yours as well. I made my first visit in the mid 70's as a 20-something tourist travelling with my parents in a single engine aircraft all the way from Wisconsin. Over the years it has become a favorite of my siblings, nieces, nephews, and our extended family and friends as well.
Thank you for your praise of our management and staff. Hope to meet up with you on Long Island one day soon.
Belgrade, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We chose Stella Maris for our honeymoon and were disappointed in the resort itself as well as the staff. We loved Long Island and look forward to returning someday but will never set foot at Stella Maris again. Here are the reasons why:
• We booked a one bedroom cottage and we very disappointed in the lack of an ocean view. Their website specifically states “brilliant ocean views” as one of the descriptions of the cottage. The only time we could see a sliver of ocean from the cottage was to stand at the sliding door and either look far left or far right. The views from any of the other three cottages did not appear to have great ocean views either. We had booked a hotel room first and I wished we had kept that reservation as the top floor hotel rooms seemed liked they actually had ocean views. You are actually a bit of a walk from the ocean too as most of the resort is up the hill from the beach. The quality of the cottage itself was nice and I expect it has been remodeled sometime in the past few years.
• No door locks / keys. If we had something that needed to be locked up we could bring it to the front desk but our cottage remained unlocked at all times.
• Lack of hot water for showers. Of the seven nights we stayed, we had four decent showers; the other days were ice cold. We mentioned this to two of the resort managers and their response was “try and shower at a different time” as we shared a water heater with other cottages (maybe the hotel as well, we aren’t sure). We showered before dinner each night and one day tried to get hot water from 4:30 to 6:30 and were unsuccessful. We were not going to arrange our daily activities just to try & get a warmer shower. This may not be a big deal in warmer months but we were there in January when it cooled off a bit in the evenings.
• Car rental: we reserved a car for a specific day and went the front desk to get the keys at 8am and were told there were no cars available. I specifically asked the front desk if there was another place we could rent a car from and the response was “No, you would have to go way south for another car rental”. When we finally got a rental the next day, we drove less than 10 minutes before we came across another car rental and less than 30 minutes there were two other places. The front desk flat out lied to us. The quality of their cars is also a little scary and the price we were given at the front desk was higher than what was written in their pamphlet. We found Omar’s cars is the same price and none of their cars look like they may leave you stranded somewhere on the island. I would recommend only renting from Omar’s if you are staying on the north end of the island.
• Activities poorly organized and cannot be done right from the resort. You have to leave the resort to go kayaking, snorkeling or to even get to a nice beach. Sandy white beaches are not at Stella Maris as the Atlantic side is very rocky. They have a beach but we didn’t end up spending much time there and went to another resort’s beach instead where we had easy access for snorkeling, fishing.
• Scuba Diving experience: Neither my husband or I had ever scuba dived before and were looking forward to taking a lesson at the resort and then have our first dive. We were told our lesson would start at 9 am. The instructor did not show up until 10:30 am which meant our lesson was cut incredibly short as we had to meet the diving boat at a certain time. We were also stuck sitting there waiting as no one at the resort had any idea when the instructor would arrive. When we went to the equipment room to get flippers & masks they didn’t have enough masks available for us so we had to run back to our room and get our masks we had brought for snorkeling. No idea what we would have done if we hadn’t brought our own equipment. The lesson left a lot to be desired and I would suggest anyone that needs time to get comfortable with the equipment prior to going on a open water dive book a lesson through another resort or learn before you go.
• There is no drinking water in the rooms. You have to fill your own bottles at a faucet near the restaurant and that water has a yellow tint and an odd taste although is safe to drink. I would go to the grocery store & stock up on gallon jugs of clean water for $2.
• Ask to see your meal receipts and bar tabs at each meal and sign off on them so your signature is on each bill that’s charged to your room. You will get a copy of all of your bills at the end of your stay and it would be a great way to make sure your bill is accurate. Also beware of special events (cave party or other meals) and ask about the price of the meal if you are budget conscious. We were very surprised to see our New Year’s Eve meal was $80 a person not including drinks! Our fault that we didn’t ask, so beware.
• Sand flies: The resort was infested with these tiny bugs. We noticed other areas of the island had them but Stella Maris had swarms of them.
• The food was good for lunch & dinner but breakfast is way over priced for what you get.
• One person in particular at the front desk was rude to us every time we spoke to her. (No surprise, she was also the same person that lied to us about other rental car options). The overall friendliness or willingness of the staff to go out of their way to help us was lacking. Exceptions were Anastasia, Queen and Sue who actually treated us like paying guests.
Overall, if you decide to stay here, we recommend renting a car each day so you can get to other parts of the island with ease. It may be less expensive than other places on the island but we wished we had spent a little more money to stay at the nicer resort and have a better overall experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review your Long Island honeymoon stay with us. Long Island is, as you noted, a beautiful island to explore. As an 'off the beaten path' destination, there are distinct differences between us and more 'main stream' locations, that we find challenging: like sand flies in low lying areas following a rain or a dusk, and temperamental water heaters; and others that we have come to cherish like our abundant fresh water drinking well, and no need of room keys.
We regret the issue you had with a room key that might have been remedied during your stay. Although rarely requested, room keys are available. Most guests opt to use the front desk safe if they wish to secure any items.
We are sorry about the mix up with your rental car. Even though the New Year holiday is a particularly busy time, every effort is made to to accommodate requests for cars. We make arrangement with local rentals to have cars available, as requested by our guests.
Your comments on the resort course and gear issues have been shared with our new water sports operator.
Thank you for your compliments on the condition of our cottages and to our staff member Anastasia, Queen and Sue.
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

having first visited Stella Maris in the 80's and getting to know the two developers, Jorge and Peter, we still think about them very time we visit. the resort has only gotten better over the 25 years and a dozen visits. From the time you get off the plane to your departure, the staff and other guests are friendly and helpful. I've never found another resort where the guests are as friendly and willing to share their experiences with everyone. this time, instead of staying in the hotel proper, we rented a three bedroom cottage just down the hill from the hotel. it was great and very close to all the resort has to offer. clean and well-cared for, it provided the opportunity to prepare our own meals on several occasions when we were too tired from our outings to dress and go to the restaurant. however, when we did go to the restaurant, the food and service were superb. Do not miss excursions to Dean's Blue Hole, the Columbus monument and the "Cave BBQ. all in all a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: selecting one of the rental cottages on the beach gives the best of both worlds, all the resort amen...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
It's always great to hear from from friends who have visited Stella Maris over the years. Now in our second generation of owner/managers, we continue to strive to bring to our long time, and our first time guests a truly welcoming Bahamas Out Island experience.
Joerg and Peter were delighted to be remembered and pass on their heartfelt thanks for your compliments to the resort and staff.
Wishing you and your family the best of the season. We look forward to seeing you in 2013
- Elizabeth
winamac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stella Maris is a wonderful place to vacation. You are treated wonderfully and the food is fantastic. This is our second time at Stella Maris and Long Island. The people are so friendly and the water is so clear and we even had a great time during Hurricaine Sandy!! Would recommend anyone to vacation there. Hope to go back again! Pat Shorter

Room Tip: Any room is great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
So very happy to have the family with us for a second visit. So glad that 'Sandy' didn't dampen your Stella Maris holiday! Thank you for your patience and compliments to our wonderful people and beautiful island. Hope to see you all again soon.
Sunny regards from all of us at Stella Maris Resort. - Elizabeth

Been to Stella Maris Resort Club? Share your experiences!