What a great trip! Our SCUBA diving group from Baltimore, Maryland traveled in mid July to Long Island in the Bahamas where we stayed and dove with the wonderful folks at Stella Maris. The resort is beautiful and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. The resort staff and the dive staff are friendly and helpful. The food was excellent, even my daughter who is a very picky eater enjoyed the menu choices. Also the bag lunches that the resort packed us each day to take on the dive boat were very good and no one every got hunger.
The highlights of our dive trip were the day trip to Conception Island, the wreck dive on the Comberbach, the shark dive and diving and snorkeling in Dean's Blue Hole. The trip to Conception Island is a 3 hour boat ride each way but well worth it to dive Conception's beautiful walls. We were even greeted by a dolphin on our first dive at Conception Island. The wreck we dove was sunk on purpose as a dive sight, it is a 110' steel freighter that sits upright on a 100' deep coral shelf with lots of coral, sponge and fish life to enjoy. The shark dive was exciting and set up safely by the dive masters. It will get your adrenaline levels up and give you some good opportunities to see and photograph sharks up close. Dean’s Blue Hole was the last dive of our trip. It involves a one hour bus ride each way to the southern end of the island however, Dean's Blue Hole is one of the most beautiful views you will see in the Caribbean both above water and below. It is also a wonderful snorkeling place. Any trip to Long Island should include plans to see this incredible natural wonder.
The sailing on one of the resorts small sailboats is also must. Wish we had more time to try the kayaking, go fishing, hang out on the beach and explore more of the island but we had to have a reason to return some day. I believe everyone in our group was very pleased! It is and excellent value for the money! Thanks to all at Stella Maris for such a fun adventure!
A couple of things worth noting if you plan to vacation on Long Island. We did a find the gnats and mosquitos to be a problem in certain places at certain times of the day. The locals say they can be annoying for a few days after it rains. Take some bug spray with you just in case but don't change your mind about going to this great little island. My experience is that this is typical of many of the remote locations I have visited. Also, the diving days were rather long. We left the dock each day at 9 AM and returned each day after 3 PM with the trip to Conception Island being the longest day. Stella Maris has two boats and because we were a larger group, we were on the larger but slower dive boat. Although it was not a problem, we just wished we had more time each day after the dives to enjoy more of the amenities at the resort and tours around the island. The plus side is that the larger boat is very comfortable with lots of room to relax and enjoy the view and your day on the water. Stella Maris also has a smaller, faster boat for use with smaller dive groups so that boat ride should be faster and the dive days shorter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stella Maris Resort Club, a 2014 Certificate of Excellence recipient is located on a tranquil island, where nature abounds, where the ocean and beaches are at their best, with an unhurried pace of life and with islanders, much known for their old-fashioned hospitality and friendliness.We are an intimate out island style resort, offering a wide range of tropical accommodations, from panoramic ocean view rooms to appealing four bedroom water front villas. Food is great, as is casual evening fun. Many activities are free of charge. We can even fly you here from your international Bahamas airport hub. It's a place for anyone who seeks to get away from every-day's stress, who loves nature, who loves being at and in the water. From singles to couples, from families to small groups. And there is no better place for a romantic island wedding, barefoot or elegant, or for celebrating your anniversary! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Stella Maris Resort Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stella Maris Resort Club Hotel Long Island
- Stella Maris Hotel
- Stella Maris Resort Club Long Island, Bahamas