“A little research turns beautiful beach into wonderful adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas

Save Saved
You added Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas to your Saves list
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Po Box L.I 30-117 | Galliot Cay, Long Island, Long Island   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Beach Lover's Package
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Long Island
BelAir
“A little research turns beautiful beach into wonderful adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We did our research before we arrived so we already knew many of the places we wanted to explore on our own (not as a tour) and the staff worked with us to make it happen. Depending on your energy and fitness level there are many options. We chose to take advantage of the free use of bikes and spent several days exploring/ snorkeling/ shelling and collecting sea glass on our own. We also teamed up with another couple staying at CSM and shared a day renting a car and traveling to the blue hole and eating at Max's among our stops.

The BEACH-as advertised it breath taking and well cared for...we saw them rake it free of seaweed each morning at dawn. Never a piece of trash in sight.

The FOOD- we stayed a week and loved every meal! We picked the breakfast /dinner option and were stuffed by the large portions. Most dinners were more then I could eat in one sitting and they were willing to wrap up my leftovers and reheat them for me the next day for lunch. I did this most days and still gained 3 pounds! While the food was delicious by the end of the week I would have welcomed a few more options.

PICNIC LUNCH-We did take advantage of the picnic lunch one day when we planned a long bike adventure and it was perfect. Two sandwiches /two drinks/two large slices of banana bread/ fruit and a chocolate bar. They packed it in a cooler (with napkins and ice) and it fit perfectly in the front of the basket on the bike. The entire lunch was less then $20 and well worth it!

The BAR and Food STAFF- were outgoing and extremely accommodating while still professional once we encouraged conversation. We felt like we were leaving friends by the end of the week. Especially Maxine and Neil.

The DESK STAFF- very polite, I think they don't want to seem intrusive...but we found them to be very warm and friendly once we initiated conversation. They greeted us with smiles each morning and asked what they could do to help us with our many excursions.

The SNORKELING -there is not a lot to see right off the beach...just beautiful sand and a few shells. But if you go to the south end of the beach ( a very long walk or 10 minute bike ride or 20 minute paddle by kayak) the underwater sea life is plentiful and free. We saw beautiful purple sea fans and bright colored fish just feet from the shore where the sand ends and Rocky Point .

We did a few CSM sponsored day trips but equally enjoyed exploring on our own with the direction and advise from people who live local or repeat vacationers.

Room Tip: # 14 or 15 bungalow both have full glass front sliders that allow you a beautiful view of the water...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BrookCSM, General Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Beth B,

Greetings from Paradise!

Thank you for the detailed and glowing review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It was great to meet you and your husband in January and wonderful to see you both being so active and adventurous. We hope to see you next year with your kids!

All the best!

Brook and Ewa Castelsky
Resort Managers

394 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you're looking for a beautiful beach with hardly a soul on it, you've come to the right place.
Depending on your particular timing, you may find that there is no one on this beautiful beach.
Even when the resort is full, (which it wasn't when we were there before the Christmas rush), it would appear to be relatively empty.
The bungalows are on the beach so it's wonderful stepping out your front door to the beach.
You can't beat that.
A few concerns though: Nowhere did we read about the sandflies. I realize that they may be seasonal or dependent on the amount of rain, but at sundown, we got tons of bites and were really itchy. (The cans of "Off" on the porch should have been our first clue, but that didn't seem to be a big deterrent to the sandflies).
Secondly, while the restaurant has a nice ambience and view, the food is mediocre and often seemed like it was pre frozen then heated. Perhaps in this remote of a place that's all you can expect.
Lastly, the one thing that bothered us was the "70's" bathroom. Taking a shower in a tub with a
curtain seemed like a comprimise. Perhaps the owners should consider a renovation to their bathrooms with stand up shower stalls and new counters, fixtures etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear need-a-view,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. You are definitely right about the beach, it is one of a kind!

I am sorry to hear that you did not get informed about sand flies. Sand flies are common throughout the entire Caribbean, however they are ussually only a problem on still evenings after a rain fall. Fortunately, we do not receive a lot of rainfall (especially in the winter months) and the refreshing southeast breeze, commonly called "trade winds", keep the sand flies away. If the sand flies do bother you, we provide two different types of "OFF" in all the rooms as well as baby oil in the gift shop which helps deter these pests. If they are a problem at all, it is ussually at dawn and dusk for approximately 30-45 minutes.

I am disappointed to hear that you thought our food was mediocre; we endeavor to make sure that we provide the freshest of ingredients at all times. In fact, none of our food is pre-frozen. We work very closely with the local fishermen to ensure we are receive fresh lobster and fish. In addition, our kitchen makes fresh deserts, pizza dough, bread, dinner rolls, tartar sauce and conch salad to name a few.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope you consider Cape Santa Maria for your next beach vacation.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had never felt sand on a beach as soft as this - it was like talcum powder! And the water was that gorgeous clear green that I was searching for in our Caribbean vacation. We stayed in a bungalow with an adjoining room which was very nice and woke up just feet from that gorgeous beach every morning (every bungalow and villa are that close). We got to look at the beach while we ate in the open air dining room and bar. It really was so relaxing...just what we wanted. Our son enjoyed the catamarans and we used the kayaks, stand-up paddleboards and the lounge chairs. If you are looking for de-stressing, relaxing, and a slower pace, this is the place for you. There is not much outside of the resort and we unfortunately picked a Sunday to explore which meant that EVERYTHING was closed. However, there is another exquisite beach at the other end of the island (80 miles) and a herd of wild goats. All in all, if you want entertainment, nightlife, go to Nassau. The bungalows are basically bedrooms with an outdoor sitting room/lanai. We lit our candles provided by the resort every night and enjoyed our cold Kaliks with the sound of the waves. The resort offers bonefishing (Docky!), reef fishing and deep sea fishing. My husband and son went reef fishing and caught a variety of fish and the chef cooked them for us for dinner that night. The grouper in the dining room was the freshest we'd ever eaten and we enjoyed it over and over. They offer meal plans (2 meals/day or 3). The one that offers 2 a day would probably be better if you planned properly (or are in a villa which has a kitchen). We had a fantastic time, there were lots of other families from the US, Canada and Europe at the resort and it was fun getting to know some of them. We also enjoyed the staff at the desk and in the dining room. They were fun...this isn't the US and everyone isn't in a hurry so don't expect that, and you will be fine. We hope we get to go back!

Room Tip: The bungalows with the extra room seem to be more updated than the ones without. The rooms include...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear dafootes,

Thank you for the great review. It was nice meeting you and your family during Christmas this year. We enjoyed seeing your son make use of the Hobie Cat and our new paddle boards! It was a lot of fun to see so many families enjoying the beach. I am sorry to hear that you decided to tour the island on Sunday. As you say, most stores and restaurants are closed. I apologize if you were not informed of this, however, some guests enjoy taking a picnic lunch from our restaurant and then going to Dean's Blue Hole for the afternoon.

Thank you for your comments regarding the food. I thought our dining room and kitchen did really well during this busy time. I thought the dinner service went especially well.

Take care and we hope to see you again.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I took my wife and 1 year old to this place that I knew ahead of time I was going to fall for it forever

It is located in one of the best beaches I have ever seen
The bungalows are well designed with a Florida room to watch the sunset at.
The food is Great.
The service is excellent.

I am so pleased and happy to have found this place.

The mooney bravo pilot

We will be back

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear fanselmetti,

Thank you very much for the kind review. It was really nice to meet you and your wife and daughter. That was a great photo of the resort from your plane! We too are glad you found this place and hope to see you again.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

When my husband and I decided to get married at a resort on the beach, it seemed like an impossible feat, seeing as we didn't even have our passports yet.

We had such difficulty finding a country that didn't have 74 hoops to jump through before we could be legally married. Our search landed us on the Trip Advisor reviews for Cape Santa Maria. We looked over the website and the photos that other couples had posted.

After much deliberation, we decided to call the resort. We spoke with Breanda at length and she calmed our fears. We decided to book the hotel for our wedding and honeymoon.

We started communication with Ewa and Breanda to go over what our expectations were. I had a lot of fears doing the wedding this way since this was the first time we had traveled out of the country; nonetheless for such a big occasion. Ewa was fantastic at answering all of our questions and concerns for the 10 months leading up to the wedding day.

Two weeks before the wedding, Hurricane Sandy blew through the Bahamas. My husband and I were incredibly nervous that our paradise was going to have to wait. Ewa responded back quite quickly afterwards to let us know they were safe and sound. However, the flowers on the island had been destroyed. My mother and I ended up making bouquets to take with us instead.

When we finally got to the island and were getting out of the cab at the resort, we just stopped and looked at the view. The resort is right on the beach (unlike Stella Maris) and the views are breathtaking (at least for this Arizona girl)

We walked in and Breanda greeted us both with a hug. We felt welcome from the first moments we arrived. We were walked to our bungalow and shown where everything could be found. As soon as Breanda started her walk back to the main house, we changed and jumped right in the crystal clear water! The bungalow was right on the white, flour-y sand. We slept every night with the door open to hear the waves crashing on the beach.

When our big day arrived, torrential rain started at about 9am. At 1pm, with the rain not slowing down, I walked into the main house to try to work out arrangements for a backup plan. Ewa and Brooke both assured me that it never rains during a wedding. However, if need be, they had a backup plan in place.

3:45 rolled around and you guessed it; it had stopped raining. My maid of honor and I walked out, I married the man of my dreams, we cut the cake, had our first dance and several pictures with the photographer. Then it started raining again. It was almost as if it was meant to be.

The next morning, we woke up to the most incredible sight we've ever seen; crystal clear turquoise water and a double rainbow.

We made use of the kayaks several times, enjoying the scenery around the area. We also had Delbert take us out snorkeling a few times. The water was very choppy and kind of cold (Delbert mentioned that it was about 9 degrees cooler than it was prior to the hurricane blowing through) but the kind man let me use his wet suit shirt to try to stay warm.

Happy Hour is the way to go. Kelly makes amazing drinks (the Goombay smash was our favorite, then the Hurricane) and with free conch fritters to boot, its a great way to wind down before dinner. We enjoyed happy hour every night we were there.

The food at the restaurant was great. I enjoyed the pasta with sun dried tomatoes and olives a few times. My husband preferred the steak. We had the absolutely best mushroom soup we've ever had before there one night as well. The rum cakes are amazingly tasty also. We chose the meal plan (all three meals) ... the blackened chicken for lunch was very good, but I'd stay away from the pizza. It was rather doughy and not very tasty.

We did take the bikes out to Columbus Point one day. I'd suggest making sure you have water, sunscreen and a bike with decent tires on it before you go. Its a bit of a trek, (at least in a bikini in flip flops) but the view was worth it.

Of note: the sand flea bites get bothersome. I've heard that if you take baby oil and use that with your lotion, it makes it harder for them to latch on to bite you. Also, someone mentioned that the Avon Skin So Soft works the same way. We did find that alcohol on the island is quite expensive. We purchased two cases of beer, Corona and Kalik. The total was $110. We kept this in our refrigerator in the room for ourselves and our wedding guests during their stay.

Overall, the weather could have cooperated more (rained every day, sometimes most of the day) for the week we were there, but that is nothing that the resort could control. We had the wedding of our dreams and we have Cape Santa Maria to thank for it. Thank you Brooke, Ewa and Breanda for helping us plan our special day... and thank you to Kelly and all of the wonderful waitresses that helped us enjoy it.

Room Tip: Bungalows are the way to go- no frills, no tv's, right on the water and perfect for that wonderf...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BrookCSM, Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Melissa B,

Thank you for the wonderful review!

We were certainly honored to share your wedding day with you! You are right, the Bahamas is an easy destination to get married in as very little paperwork is required. The process is pretty straight forward. It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day and I am glad you found the planning to be an easy process.

I hope you have remade the caper sauce for David! I also wanted to tell you that we now make our pizza dough in-house and it is better than ever.

Wishing you and David all the best in this next chapter of your lives.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Ewa Castelsky
Resort Manager
Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We loved our stay at Cape Santa Maria! The beach is beautiful and the there are no crowds! We had the beach to ourselves and found that it was the perfect place to unwind and enjoy a Kalik! My kids ages 7 and 9 loved using the kayaks to explore the calm ocean waters. The day that we arrived, we found several dozen starfish along the shallow waters near the beach. We split our vacation (staying 4 days at Atlantis water park) and my kids definitely loved Cape Santa Maria in Long Island more!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Although my take on the meals is less than enthusiastic, this is not a reason to not come here. I agree with the vast bulk of glowing reviews; beach, cottages, service, and so on. It's not that the food is bad, its just not up to the quality of the rest of the experience of being here. Menu is very light on salads and fresh fruit. At the end of a week stay, lack of variety starts to weigh heavily. Dining room service was erratic and on an occasion or two, surly. This wouldn't keep me from coming back. I just wish management would pay more attention here, making a stay at Cape Santa Maria absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for cottage away from main building - less foot traffic in front of your veranda.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
BrookCSM, General Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear kwieder,

Thank you very much for the great review and we appreciate the feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were left with anything less than a stellar impression of the service in our dining room. We are always working to improve the service levels throughout the entire resort. Each year we hire a trainer from our Canadian operations to assist in training our staff. In fact, this year we are focusing on the service in our dining room. I sincerely hope you choose Cape Santa Maria for your next beach vacation, and I am confident you will be as impressed as many others continue to be.

I am a little surprised to hear your comments regarding the selection of salads because we receive a great deal of positive feedback in this regard. People tell us they enjoy the Pear and Blue Cheese Salad, the Long Island Lobster Salad or the Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Salad. In addition, the Crescent Beach Salad or Lobster Terriene are very popular. Of course, there is always the Classic Caesar or traditional Bahamian Conch Salad.

We hope to see you at Cape Santa Maria for your next beach vacation.

Brook Castelsky

Been to Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!