“Get away from it all amongst breath-taking beauty” 5 of 5 stars

Winter Haven Inn
Clarence Town, DC 30633, Long Island   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Long Island
Mooresville
“Get away from it all amongst breath-taking beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Winter Haven is a complex of sixteen cottage type units. All very private and very clean, comfortable, roomy and modern. The view is astounding from the large porches and it is very quiet. There is a private pool and jacuzzi facing the beach. The Knowles family will make you think you are at a best friends home with all the attention you can want when you want it. The adjacent Rowdy Boys restaurant has some of the best local cuisine in the islands at reasonable prices and serves meals all day. There are cars available for rent so you can explore many pink sugar sand beaches where you may see another person if you are lucky. If you like spas and all-inclusives stay away. If you want peace and tranquility in a prardise setting, email Muriel and catch a daily flight from Nassau to Deadman's Cay. Bathing suit and shorts will be all you need.

Room Tip: any. Ocean fron the best
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Stonington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you are looking for a place that typifies life in the family islands of the Bahamas this is the place to stay, clean, bright and very friendly. As with the family islands though, don't expect much. At the current time there are 8 rooms in two buildings, two up, two down and it seems another building, not as close to the water is in the works. Nice pool and jacuzzi but a very limited beach on the property. Clarence Town itself is pretty laid back, a lovely old church, the marina and the packing house.... if you're coming here for the action, stay in Nassau. The big attraction is the laid back attitude and the beautiful water.

A note to put some thing into perspective. The hotel and restaurant were built by the Knowells(sp?) family to meet a real area need. Mom and dad (Chlo and Bert) had built up a successful heavy construction firm. The sons, the "rowdy boys" currently run the firm and their families help in the hotel operations. The "boys" in themselves are impressive masses humanity, rough gems, not polished. But as a whole friendly is the operative word, we were there the weekend of Chlo's 70th birthday party and all were invited to the celebration, foold and liquor flowed until two in the morning, for some... and at 8AM thing were back to usual with the entire family pitching in to the clean up.

A great place to see the real Bahamas.

Room Tip: The top floors have the views, rooms 3,4,7, and 8. 5 is on the first floor by the pool. If you'r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for a week in January 2013. The rooms were really big and clean, the bed was comfortable and i agree with the other positive comments. The best part of the stay, aside from the whirlpool on the pool deck overlooking the ocean, was the hospitality of everyone at the place. You are treated like family. Chloe even fried up a fish I caught! The food at their restaurant Rowdy Boys was fantastic, too. Chloe's son even promised to make conch salad for us, and it was great. When I go back, this is where i will stay for sure.

Room Tip: I was in room 4, i think, on the second floor of the two story bldg., and it was a great room. Slid...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I just stayed here for three days and was delighted with the accommodation, view, great friendly service and helpfulness of all the staff.
If you go to Long Island, stay here!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at Winter Haven and the hospitality and accommodating atmosphere only gets better. The food is unquestionably the finest on the south end of the island and my fiancee says Chloe's coleslaw is the best in the world...period. I personally love her cracked conch, fritters, lobster and snapper and can eat it until the cows come home. Muriel does a fabulous job of working up the best accommodations possible and is in constant email touch with your needs. This helped, as I proposed to my girl during our stay on the island. And no one can ever say enough about Bernard, Ben and Bert. Especially Bernard, he is a true fixer if you need to get something done on the island. We will definitely be back next year and hopefully do a little deep sea fishing with Ben.

Room Tip: The best room is definitely the ocean top floor left. Very comfortable beds. If I had one complain...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We just got back from a week on Long Island, we stayed at Winter Haven Inn and rented our vehicle from them.
The room was large, clean and comfortable. We had a beautiful view from the back deck, we actually left our door open each night to bring in the ocean breeze and hear the waves. We never needed the A/C.
The meals were very good. I have a gluten allergy and I was worried about there being nothing but fried foods. I asked about the conch and she made it for me with corn starch, it was really light and crispy and my husband liked it better then his. We ate at the Rowdy boys every morning for breakfast, it was a lot of fun as everyone is friendly and people all chat about their days and their adventures. The coffee was very good. I also have a dairy allergy and they brought in almond milk for me so that I could have my coffee each day.

The vehicle was pretty typical of what you get on a remote island. It was a 2000 Chevy Tracker, it had rust, and it had been around the block a few thousand times, but it was reliable. We took that thing all over the island, we had it in four wheel drive on some really remote roads and it never lets us down.

When we arrived I saw they were building new rooms and was worried that we would be disturbed by construction sounds, but they were great and they didn't start up until later morning. Eventually they will have 10 more rooms added.

The whole staff is wonderful and friendly. We had a great experience.

Room Tip: We had room 5, it was upstairs and away from the pool. You get good views and it's quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I can't let that last review stand. We booked 8 nights at Winter Haven starting 11/22. I was worried after reading this review in the airport on our way to Long Island. After 7 nights with no problems and having met the entire family that runs Winter Haven I asked about the event described in Stay Away review. According to Chlo the person that called the reviewer a jew was not in fact a Rowdy Boy or member of the family but rather a fishermen sitting at the bar who was mad that someone would try to negotiate a car rate. I do not believe Chlo could tell a lie if she tried and I definitely believe her.

I also rented a car through winter haven without a problem. It was ready for me at Winter Haven when I arrived and I just dropped it off at the airport when finished. The rate was a little higher but hey it isn't like you are in the USA and just about everything costs a little more on Islands. They aren't making a lot of money off of rentals.

I am not a reviewer I just signed up to respond to maxw84. Winter Haven Inn is a very nice place overlooking the Atlantic with a great pool overlooking the Atlantic. The rooms were simple clean with working AC. The room was overlooking the Atlantic which is a treat as the sound of the waves put us to sleep each night. We were picked up from the airport by Bernard which we did not expect but very happy about it as we didn't see any taxis. Bertis and Bernard were also very helpful and nice to us during our stay. Chlo noticed that my girlfriend had cut her foot on the beach and brought bandages and tape to take care of her foot. What other Inn would take care of their guest this well. They made us feel like family.

The food at rowdy boys was very good. The menu is posted on their site we had most breakfasts at Rowdy Boys but also several dinners and snacks. I was hooked on the lobster and the conch fritters.

The only bummer of the trip was that their hot tub was damaged in the Hurricane and it is a waiting repair. Everything else was fine.

Winter Haven Inn and Rowdy Boy's restaurant exceeded my expectations. I would stay there again and I would recommend Winter Haven to friends and family.

Thank you Bertis, Bernard, and Chlo for making our trip so great. See you next time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Winter Haven Inn? Share your experiences!