“Long Island Hospitality at it's best!” 5 of 5 stars

Winter Haven Inn
Clarence Town, DC 30633, Long Island   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Long Island
Los Angeles, California
“Long Island Hospitality at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at Winter Haven and the hospitality and accommodating atmosphere only gets better. The food is unquestionably the finest on the south end of the island and my fiancee says Chloe's coleslaw is the best in the world...period. I personally love her cracked conch, fritters, lobster and snapper and can eat it until the cows come home. Muriel does a fabulous job of working up the best accommodations possible and is in constant email touch with your needs. This helped, as I proposed to my girl during our stay on the island. And no one can ever say enough about Bernard, Ben and Bert. Especially Bernard, he is a true fixer if you need to get something done on the island. We will definitely be back next year and hopefully do a little deep sea fishing with Ben.

Room Tip: The best room is definitely the ocean top floor left. Very comfortable beds. If I had one complain...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We just got back from a week on Long Island, we stayed at Winter Haven Inn and rented our vehicle from them.
The room was large, clean and comfortable. We had a beautiful view from the back deck, we actually left our door open each night to bring in the ocean breeze and hear the waves. We never needed the A/C.
The meals were very good. I have a gluten allergy and I was worried about there being nothing but fried foods. I asked about the conch and she made it for me with corn starch, it was really light and crispy and my husband liked it better then his. We ate at the Rowdy boys every morning for breakfast, it was a lot of fun as everyone is friendly and people all chat about their days and their adventures. The coffee was very good. I also have a dairy allergy and they brought in almond milk for me so that I could have my coffee each day.

The vehicle was pretty typical of what you get on a remote island. It was a 2000 Chevy Tracker, it had rust, and it had been around the block a few thousand times, but it was reliable. We took that thing all over the island, we had it in four wheel drive on some really remote roads and it never lets us down.

When we arrived I saw they were building new rooms and was worried that we would be disturbed by construction sounds, but they were great and they didn't start up until later morning. Eventually they will have 10 more rooms added.

The whole staff is wonderful and friendly. We had a great experience.

Room Tip: We had room 5, it was upstairs and away from the pool. You get good views and it's quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I can't let that last review stand. We booked 8 nights at Winter Haven starting 11/22. I was worried after reading this review in the airport on our way to Long Island. After 7 nights with no problems and having met the entire family that runs Winter Haven I asked about the event described in Stay Away review. According to Chlo the person that called the reviewer a jew was not in fact a Rowdy Boy or member of the family but rather a fishermen sitting at the bar who was mad that someone would try to negotiate a car rate. I do not believe Chlo could tell a lie if she tried and I definitely believe her.

I also rented a car through winter haven without a problem. It was ready for me at Winter Haven when I arrived and I just dropped it off at the airport when finished. The rate was a little higher but hey it isn't like you are in the USA and just about everything costs a little more on Islands. They aren't making a lot of money off of rentals.

I am not a reviewer I just signed up to respond to maxw84. Winter Haven Inn is a very nice place overlooking the Atlantic with a great pool overlooking the Atlantic. The rooms were simple clean with working AC. The room was overlooking the Atlantic which is a treat as the sound of the waves put us to sleep each night. We were picked up from the airport by Bernard which we did not expect but very happy about it as we didn't see any taxis. Bertis and Bernard were also very helpful and nice to us during our stay. Chlo noticed that my girlfriend had cut her foot on the beach and brought bandages and tape to take care of her foot. What other Inn would take care of their guest this well. They made us feel like family.

The food at rowdy boys was very good. The menu is posted on their site we had most breakfasts at Rowdy Boys but also several dinners and snacks. I was hooked on the lobster and the conch fritters.

The only bummer of the trip was that their hot tub was damaged in the Hurricane and it is a waiting repair. Everything else was fine.

Winter Haven Inn and Rowdy Boy's restaurant exceeded my expectations. I would stay there again and I would recommend Winter Haven to friends and family.

Thank you Bertis, Bernard, and Chlo for making our trip so great. See you next time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Arrived here with great expectations after reading the reviews.
Paid a premium compared to other available accommodation.
First day, I was negotiating the cost of a rental vehicle only to be called a "[...]" by one of the Rowdy boys themselves. While he had never actually met a Jew he explained it merely referred to someone who would negotiate you down to your last dollar.
I returned to my plush single room, with no TV, one working power outlet, and single towel, packed and sought out alternate accommodation down the road. I found it for half the price, a cleaner 3 room apartment, working A/C, internet connection, TV and more.
The food at Winter Haven was appalling; unless you like everything fried and fatty.
The owners were indifferent to my leaving, and I was glad to go.
Avoid this place at all cost.
If you want good food, go to Max's place : great food, grilled, tasty and made fresh.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Don't be misled by the title, the fish fingers in question are home made by Chlo, using freshly caught grouper and would put Birds Eye out of business any day

This is a small but very friendly hotel to stay at, all the staff are very helpful and friendly, they pick you up from the airport at no charge and, in our case, when my husband said he could not wait to have a cold beer they pulled up at the nearest roadside bar and obliged......

The rooms were comfortable with wonderful views and as i said the food was terrific

we were a family party ranging in age from Great Grandma at 86, to ypungest grandson at 6 and we all enjoyed our stay.

We only wish we coukl have stayed longer.

Unfortunately their next visitor was Hurricane Irene, who was not very kind to them but luckily no major damage and most importantly no human damage either

would we go again?

oh yes........

Room Tip: they are all good rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

This place has some of the best food on the island. We stopped for lunch after a trip to Gordon's Beach. I had a grouper sandwich and hubby had a burger. Lunch was very good and staff was great. The restaurant has great atmosphere and amazing views. Later in the week we ran into trouble (got stuck in sand) and I still had their ph# in my phone. I called Pete (woke him up from a nap after a long night of rake and scrape- sorry!) and he came to our rescue. To thank him we went back that night and ordered a pretty expensive meal but it was worth every penny and then some. We had a whole red snapper and it's the best seafood meal I have ever eaten. I highly recommend eating here and tell Pete (the people who got stuck in the sand at Bonacorde) that we said HI!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Winter Haven Inn had all the ammenities of a 5 star hotel without being touristy. The staff was warm and friendly, making us feel at home during our stay. The rooms were spacious and clean with a deck off the back providing a great view. Peter, the chef, prepared amazing meals for us while we caught up on the games. (they have a TV in the bar) I couldn't imagine a better place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Winter Haven Inn? Share your experiences!