“Paradise in all respects” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rock House

You added Rock House to your Saves list
Rock House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Hill and Bay Street, EL-27234, Harbour Island   |
Special Offer
ROOM RATE DISCOUNT
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Harbour Island
Pomona, New York
“Paradise in all respects”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My wife and I recently learned of the Rock House from one of her co-workers. Frankly neither of us had even heard of Harbor Island before this vacation. I am almost reluctant to write this review since I don't want this best kept secret to get out, but this vacation was truly paradise.

The hotel was extraordinary and exceeded every one of our expectations, and believe you me we are extremely picky New Yorkers! The staff was courteous and attentive and went above and beyond to ensure the success of our vacation. We no longer consider Don, Eric, Marva and Flo the Rock House personnel, but rather they are now our friends! The food was as good as, if not better, than some of the finest restaurants I have eaten at in New York and throughout the world. Our room as immaculate and every courtesy was provided even before we asked. And of course there is no beating the Pink Sands beach and the aqua marine waters of the Bahamas! Wow is the only word I can use to describe the experience.

The people on the island were just as friendly and my wife and I marveled at how often complete strangers waved hello or simply smiled and said "good day" without prompting; certainly not the streets of NYC.

Every aspect of this trip was impeccable and I would rate it 5 stars+ if I could. We will certainly be back and had a hard time leaving the island and our new found friends! So...stay away from my new favorite destination so I will still be able to make reservations in the future! :)

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the place, although some are larger than others.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Eric F, General Manager at Rock House, responded to this review, November 27, 2014
Hi Robert,
Thank you for staying with us at Rock House! We are delighted your first Trip Advisor review was a positive one and we appreciate you took the time to provide such lovely comments. We will ensure to share them with our entire team. We have just opened for the season and hope to see you again hopefully sometime soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your from all of us at Rock House.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Weatherford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Let me say first, we started our vacation by being shafted from Southern Air. I'm not going to waste time here on raking them over the coals. I'll do that on another TripAdvisor report. But DON'T USE THEM IF YOU CAN AVOID IT!
So Erica, set me up with a charter so we could get to our lovely hotel the night we were suppose to. She didn't have to help me, but she called me back several times and proceeded to arrange everything without hesitation.
First of all Eric and Don the owners of the hotel were always around having first hand interaction with all facets of the property. We were introduced to Eric as we arrived, he showed us our room, then later at dinner Don was there at the dining room. Making themselves present and an active part of the operations is a great part of what makes this facility a success.
We stayed in the main house, first room, The Palm room. It's tight, no where to lay your bags out. Still, we loved it. We have a great view of the ocean and are right by the government dock. The hotel has been tastefully and eloquently decorated around the local Bahama flair. Bathrooms have high end amenities as well as the refrig mini bar
Beautiful courtyard area and lovely pool area. Very quaint and well maintained.On one side of the stairway going up to the hotel there are a couple of trees that are growing out of the side of the wall. The aerial roots coming down wall are amazing. The tree has gown a 'root over rock' style of growth that is breathtaking. All I think about when I see it is how old it must be. Beautiful.
One of the best things about this hotel is it has the BEST restaurant on the island, maybe all the Bahama islands. Incredibly delicious fish and daily catches. Great selection of items on both appetizers and main courses. Just perfect.
The staff, Eric and Don are all willing to do anything they can to make your stay peaceful, smooth and relaxing.
Everything on this island is very expensive, but I have come to realize if you worry about $$ while on vacation it will ruin your entire time. So, yes it is expensive. It is also one of the best places I've ever stayed.
Thanks Eric, Don and The Rock House staff.

Room Tip: The Palm room is located in the main house so it can get pretty noisy at supper time and stays that...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at Rock House and taking the time to provide your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your experience and will ensure to share with our entire team. We hope you visit us again sometime soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from all of us at Rock House!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We've just returned from a belated anniversary trip to Harbour Island where we stayed at the Rock House. Without a doubt, this is the best service we've ever received at any hotel we've ever stayed with (they even beat The Ritz Carlton's standards) From the moment we arrived every single staff member was friendly, happy, and willing to do whatever they could to make us comfortable. It is THE BEST :)
I'll back up here to tell you more details of the trip. We flew into N. Eleuthera from Miami on American. The airport is tiny, so clearing customs and immigration takes less than 10 minutes, and that's with me having to fill out an immigration card (one per person here, not per family). There are plenty of taxi drivers waiting to take you to the dock (US$5/pp)-about a 5 minute ride. At the dock, you'll board a boat that will take you another 5 minute ride across to Harbour Island (US$7/pp). If you've got a load of luggage, get another taxi, otherwise, walk to the street from the dock, take a right, and go up the first large set on rounded (steep) stairs you see. The Rock House is right there - really no need for a taxi.
We stayed in the Parrot Room, which was towards the back of the property. The room was very clean, the closet was actually a walk in with a dresser, safe, and shelves, plus mini-fridge. The bathroom was tiled with a seamless glass shower panel (no bathtub, only shower) and very large. The bed was very comfortable and made up with sheets on top of the duvet, which I really like (because I know it's clean!) The wifi was dependable throughout the property, and the 2 internet phones in the business center was a thoughtful touch (free calls anywhere) - worked out very well for my husband who had some work to do while we were there.
The bath products are Aveda which always smell lovely. There is an umbrella and flashlight in the room, along with a cooler to take to the beach with you. By the front desk, there's a crate full of beach bags stocked with chair covers, towels, and bottles of water. They've really thought of everything!
The beach is a short walk (5 minutes!) from the hotel where they've got chairs and sun umbrellas set up for Rock House guests. The sand is truly pink, and the water is clear blue - heaven :)
Most folks get around the island via golf cart. We rented one on our last day (it was only a 4 day trip, not long enough!) to tootle around the island and do some shopping. I would suggest renting one for your entire stay if you're staying longer than 3-4 days so you can explore and go out to different restaurants.
Back at the hotel, you'd find no reason to eat anywhere else. We had 2 dinners on campus and they were both delicious. My only complaint is that the portions were enormous! We could've easily split an entree. My husband had a terrific steak on night, I had the pork tenderloin (I'm getting embarrassed to keep saying "the best", but it really was the best tenderloin I've ever had).
They do a mean pina colada at the bar too, it's, well, you know, "the best". ;)
The other guests were also charming. The friendly vibe that permeates the entire staff spills over to the guests as well, I don't think anyone could have a bad day if they tried, even in the rain :)
We ate at a few other places on the island, namely: Sip Sips (lunch), The Landing (dinner). I'll review those separately.
Normally, we don't repeat holidays since there is a great big world to see, but this place has made it's mark on us in 3 short nights and I can say with confidence that we will be back.
Thanks to all of the staff at the Rock House for making our visit so wonderful! - Ryan and Julianne

Room Tip: There doesn't seem to be a bad room at all!
Hello Ryan and Julianne

Thank you very much for your comprehensive and detail review. It is guest like you that help thousands of other travelers to help with their vacation decisions. I am amazed with all the details you remember from your trip.

But the most important fact is that we have not disappointed YOU with your decision to stay with us at the Rock House. I saw you have traveled pretty much around the world couple times. I myself love to travel and love to check what other people say about my future destinations. After seeing all the amazing places you have already been to, and all the detail reviews, we feel that much more honored that you are considering a repeat at the Rock House :)

Happy traveling

Eric Franz
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was recently reading reviews for an upcoming trip to Rome and fell in love with one hotel about which a guest wrote, "if you're able to stay here, stay here." If you're visiting the Bahamas, and able to stay in Harbour Island, do it. And if you're able to stay at Rock House, you have my emphatic endorsement; absolutely stay at Rock House. You'll be welcomed by a friendly and hospitable staff that prides itself on seamlessly integrating local flavor with luxurious accommodations that make your stay exceed all reasonable expectations. There is no area in which you're left saying, "this was good, but..." Everything is executed meticulously, which is important for a destination. Dining is fresh and creative, in a lovely and intimate atmosphere, overlooking the bay. The guest rooms are clean, comfortable, and well-maintained. Beach bags are prepared daily, well-stocked, and easily accessible. I came to Rock House because I wanted to bring a loved one to a special place and I couldn't have made a better choice. Leaving was more bitter than sweet.

Hi Samantha,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for Rock House. Hope you visit us again sometime soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from all of us at Rock House.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The team at the Rock House could not have been either friendlier or more accommodating! My wife is an early morning coffee drinker. When realizing her first cup would be later than norm if waiting until the restaurant opened, they delivered a coffee maker with high quality Italian coffee within five minutes of asking. This is just one example. Any detail which could make our stay more enjoyable was done. The amenities at the Rock House are wonderful, however the staff is the real gem!

Room Tip: Our room was directly next to the bar (Pineapple Room). It would get fairly noisy from 9-11 at night...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The food is incredible, however the ambiance is something to write about. I have been here multiple times, and every time I want to pinch myself to see if it is all real. The staff is very friendly. The bar area and poolside cabana dining are breathtaking. One of my favorite places for ambiance. I always look forward to going back. The entire island is special, but this is a must for a romantic dinner if you are traveling with a special someone. At the very least - you must visit for a cocktail.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hello Mandy
Thank you for your review and visiting our dream:)
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your time at the Rock House.
Looking forward to see you back.
Eric
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We just came back from our 4th stay at Rock House...I'm not sure I can come up
with any new words to describe how much we love this place that hasn't already
been said by me or by others who have reviewed this property...but I will try.

When my husband and I decided to get away for a few days for our 38th wedding
anniversary in June, Rock House was again our first choice. If you are looking
for a small quiet romantic place (no children under 18 allowed), with
comfortable (the best bed!) and elegant accommodations, a staff that provides 5 star (really,
10+) service, and a chef (Jenny) that creates and serves the best food, RH is
the place. Again, I can't say enough about the staff, many of whom have been
there for a long time...Eric (manager), Tremme, Fluffy, Marva, Flo and all the
others whose names I don't remember or don't know, but should be acknowledged
for providing a wonderful experience for all who stay here.

Rock House is located on the best island in the Bahamas. Rent a golf cart (a
must) and drive around the entire island to see its special people (love seeing
the children walking to and from school!), to visit the local shops or to stop
for a snack or coffee (or Kalik beer!). The beautiful pink sand beach is a 2
minute drive from Rock House (really, not kidding) where you will find Rock
House chairs and umbrellas set up ready and waiting. You will be provided with
towels and water in a beach bag, and don't forget the snorkel and fins, which RH
also provides.

Because our stay was so short this visit, we chose to eat dinner every night at RH, but you
will see other reviewers who also recommend other dinner spots. We have tried
those, too, but we always say RH is the best. Having lunch at Sip Sip is a
must! Find out where Queen Conch is located and try the fresh conch salad. Try
Arthur's Bakery for breakfast or the new coffee shop (RH will point the way),
but you will find the continental breakfast at RH perfect (with hot items
available, too, if requested).

We have stayed in the Pineapple and Palm rooms in the main house which have
great views of the harbor from the balconies. The rooms in the back of the
property provide a little more privacy, each with its own cabana. We have also
stayed in the Citrus room and this last visit, although we booked the Citrus
room again, we were upgraded to the Reef suite. Thank you, Thank you! We
enjoyed having coffee in our cabana in the morning and it was a nice retreat
when rain forced us to be under cover. All the rooms are fabulous! You will
love any of them.

For anyone reading this who typically prefers to stay in accommodations directly
on the beach (I am one of those), I can't say enough how happy you will be
choosing the Rock House instead. It is a unique, one of a kind place. The
pictures and all the reviews accurately depict what you will experience here.
You will not be disappointed.

Hello SBinflorida,

We always feel with our return guest as if friends are coming back to visit our home. It is so great to hear that after your 4th stay with us you speak so highly of us and that we have not disappointed you.
I wish you many more happy years together full of love and happiness.
Looking forward to celebrate with you the next anniversary or perhaps the big one! :)
Eric

Been to Rock House? Share your experiences!