“HANDS DOWN THE MOST BREATHTAKING RESORT IN THE WORLD.” 5 of 5 stars

Pink Sands
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chapel St, Dunmore Town | P.O. Box 87, Harbour Island   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Harbour Island
Philadelphia
“HANDS DOWN THE MOST BREATHTAKING RESORT IN THE WORLD.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

Dear Traveler,

If you are looking for a homogenized, commercialized, cookie-cutter vacation, go elsewhere. If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind, authentic island paradise, then Pink Sands is for you.

I just returned from my wedding at Harbour Island and my second trip to the Pink Sands Resort. I can honestly say, Pink Sands is the most beautiful property in the entire world. I can say this with some conviction because I have travelled at over the world and stayed in hundreds of resorts. The Pink Sands is absolutely world class.

The cuisine, accommodations, staff, and facilities are simply first-class. The tucked-away bungalows that pepper the beach offer secluded comfort. The beach-side cottage we enjoyed had an incredible view of the ocean and a private pathway leading directly to the world famous pink sand beach. A few steps away was the Blue Bar where we dined for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; enjoying everything from crab benedict to grouper hoagies to ceviche. I've never eaten so well. For the active, there are tennis courts, a pool, fitness center, and watersports all included such as snorkeling and kayaking. But most of all you'll want to relax on the beach with your favorite beverage and watch the picturesque skies (see my photo) with someone you love. For despite all the luxury afforded to guests at the Pink Sands, the true treasure is the island itself and the breathtaking landscapes.

Pink Sands is truly one of a kind and Harbour Island is without a doubt the most beautiful in the world. I intend to spend every one of my anniversaries there!

Ryan from Philadelphia

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
GENEVA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We were in a ocean view bungalow, price 750$, the view stunning on the fantastic pink sand beach. In my opinion these bungalow are to be renovated, they are dated and old fashioned. The price of the bungalow is overrated. The reception area and the restaurants have no ambience. We went outside for dinner every night to Rock House hotel and the Landing. The staff in the hotel is very nice and friendly, the Blue Bar a very nice place for lunch with a marvellous view of the beach. Food average. Breakfast just ok, nothing special, they should offer a better one.
We enjoyed Harbour Island and hope that Pink sand Resort will do a renovation of the hotel. They are lucky to have such a fantastic locaation.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I traveled here with my boyfriend earlier this year and we were very dissapointed. I reearched this place alot and definetly expected more. We stayed at Long Cay which was an ocean view villa. The room I must say was very nice. But besides that, nothing else really. The ocean has some serious waves and Im not the best swimmer, but even a moderate swimmer I dont think could have swam in it. We did eat at the Pink Sands restaurant, which the food is just ok. Rockhouse was really good as well as Dunmore Club. Also I found it insane that they charge an extra $90 a day just for cleaning the room. Oh and the beach is rather dirty, tons of seeweed everywhere and it takes a worker about the whole day to clean it. Dont see why they dont invest in a sand cleaning machine.. All in all, I doubt Id be staying there again. If your traveling to the bahamas your best off at the Cove Atlantis. Thats first class all the way.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

We had a few nights of our honeymoon here. I'd wanted to come to the land of the pink sand since forever and had heard this was the place to stay so we booked a beach front villa room - it's a sort of semi-detached cottage, right on the sand. The room was nice but not that well kept. Looked like it needed a bit of TLC (for the price) but it was the end of the season so perhaps it had had a hard few months. The bathroom was fine but I seem to recall it had no bath, which I found odd. Could be mistaken but do check. Don't get too excited about the pool. It's ok but I suppose you're there for the beach really. And getting down to the beach from our room - you could walk straight down but literally through several feet of tangled plants - bit strange. I'm not too fussy but did seem odd they hadn't cleared it.

The beach is as perfect as you imagine, and was pretty empty when we went. I don't think I would have wanted to be there during high season but June was divine.

Harbour Island itself is beyond picture perfect. The Rock House rocks (good place to stay if you want a younger, hipper vibe) and the food is great. The Landing is lovely and great food but very small and no pool - totally different holiday if you stayed there. Driving around in a golf cart was great fun, but why they don't have electric ones I don't know. The petrol fumes and noise of the engines (like generators) is pretty grim and I can't believe it's easier to ship petrol over than charge them off electricity but what do I know.....

Loved the bars in town - great fun for getting sozzled and chatting to the locals. Romora Bay's bar is brilliant - great cocktails. And Coral Sands is lovely to eat in but pleased we were staying where we were. But less interesting interior wise and felt like more of a clone hotel. Dunmore Beach Club feels like something out of the Persuaders but divine position and the food was good. Sip Sip is fun for lunch but I wouldn't go crazy about it. The Pink Sands beach cafe place was just as good really.

It's definitely a great place and I'm sure they'll be doing upkeep on the rooms as and when but I felt they should really have done a bit more before we arrived. They weren't full and I'm sure they could have put us in a more polished room, given the price. I would definitely go back to Harbour Island but next time with a few friends and renting a villa.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

The beach on harbour island is something I cannot put into words. The color of the water and soft powder like sand is beyond incredible. The water is so blue and is the perfect temperature to spend hours in. I cannot imagine staying anywhere but directly on the beach. The Blue Bar was mine and my husband's favorite meal-we dined at nice restraunts (ah hm...the Rock House). The staff and the Pink Sands was very sweet and accomodating. Really my only complaint about the hotel itself was based on cleanliness. I do think I'm a stickler on this...but my other half is not, and he agreed as well. For the price you pay for an ocean view cottage, you want to feel comfortable showering and using the bathroom. The towels had to be ancient. Probably havn't been changed since the remodel. And all of the stainless fixtures in the bathroom, including the toilet seat, were oxidized blue and green. C'mon, $700.00 a night, and I don't want to sit on my toilet!

I had higher expections for the island as well. Dunmore town is run down and really hurting. I couldn't help but feel bad driving through on my golf cart in a dress to spend $200.00 on a so so dinner. By so so, I mean lobster that was so overcooked, it had to be cut with a steak knife and a pasta dinner that was no where near gourmet.

Despite the breathtaking views and beautiful pink sand, my hubby and I left early (without compensation) and took the ferry to another island for the rest of our vacation.

Couldn't go without adding...I think its strange that none of the past reviews added that the island graveyard sits next to the luxurious Pink Sands Resort. We couldn't help but feel disturbed each day seeing new graves being hand dug.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

The hotel itself is... cool! The rooms are mostly separate buildings so you feel you have a 'house' to yourself- We 4 stayed at the 2 closest to the Blue Bar and that was fun. The fish tacos there are excellent! The couches and pillows in the Pink Sands lobby are soooo comfortable- order a cocktail and play some pool there. The beach is PERFECT, as is the water temperature. The roosters are actually pretty and only bothered us early a couple times. There are mosquitos who are quite choosy about who they bother- MOI! But hubby not so much! (The rooms have OFF-type spray under the counter.) Riding the golf cart around the island is a blast. Rent a boat and snorkel the starfish grounds! We had lunch at a table next to a BIG celebrity at Ma Ruby's. The Rock House had an incredible sunset dinner and the bar is a favorite of many stars. Order a rumrunner there! Have "Sterling" (the tattooed dude) take you out from the marina to fish- we caught FRESH mahi mahi (dolphin fish?) and they cooked it for us 4 ways at Valentine's- served with a heavenly BLOCK of mac n cheese! Sip Sip for lunch- SHARE a lobster quesadilla... One of the best conch burgers we ever had was at the little cafe across the street from the Eleuthra airport!!! And some of the best shopping was there too! Nice way to send us home from this amazing, fun, expensive little island :-)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

My new husband and I just had the most magical experience at Pink Sands for our wedding in May. We had a group of 60 join us for our nupitals, and couldn't have been happier. The location and grounds are unparalleled, and the service/vibe was nothing less than gracious and upbeat, without taking away from the naturally casual pace of the Bahamas.

Our guests were staying at both Pink Sands and Coral Sands (managed by Pamela Brouchier, who put on a fabulous rehearsal dinner and departure brunch for us at their Beach Bar), jointly owned by Tom and Silma Sherman for the last two years. The owners quickly became part of the festivities and felt like old friends/family that had known us for years. They are incredibly lucky to employ the services of Molly Osendorf, their event planner, who could and perhaps should have joined our wedding (bridal) party. From the beginning, approximately one year prior to the event, Molly provided invaluable insight and advice for our three-day event, and could not have made the process easier. For two incredibly busy people (physician and journalist), Molly made us feel like there was nothing more to do than describe our likes and dislikes. In fact, the flowers and decor were more spectacular than anything we could have planned had we been able to agonize over details, and this was with simple directions to keep it simple and white. While we ultimately reviewed everything, had we not, we could have completely trusted this important event blindly in her hands. To boot, Molly provided as much as friendship as expertise in the days and weeks leading up to the event.

In brief, we had a spectacular welcome event at the Bimini Cottage, a breath-taking villa on a bluff, with amazing food and beverage service made possible by James and Pierre, executive chef and food/beverage director, respectively. They could not have been more talented or kind. This was matched by our wedding ceremony and cocktail hour at the Blue Bar, followed by a spectacular reception in the magical lobby of the resort. The quality of the food was outstanding on its own, let alone for a group of 60, and the party was unbeatable. DJ Daddy D was spot-on, and the Junkanoo rush (a Bahamian troupe in colorful garb playing music and dancing through the crowd for 20 minutes) completed the desired goal for an island wedding with maximum energy and cheer. It was euphoric.

(Having just caught a glimpse of our wedding photos, we feel compelled to also give a shout-out to Donna DeCosta, the photographer and Harbour Island native, whose skills and manner are top-notch. She is a fabulous photographer and is highly recommended for anyone who should choose Pink Sands for their special event.)

To be married in a far away place with such warmth and attention to detail, as well as direct involvement by the owners, is something we could not have anticipated and, quite frankly, secured this experience as the most wonderful of our adult lives. Pink Sands is it's own private paradise on a perfect little island. Our only regret is that we can't do it all over again.

• Stayed May 2009

Been to Pink Sands? Share your experiences!