“Great Experience--Cooking Class” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Anaconda, Montana
“Great Experience--Cooking Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at a private home on the Island, but had one of our favorite experiences at the Blue Bar Restaurant at the Pink Sands. My wife and I and our friends (another couple) took a cooking class with Chef Ed. He was a great teacher and we enjoyed preparing a delicious meal under his expert instruction. We made a seared tuna dish, ceviche, and a grouper dish with pineapple salsa. I would recommend having a few beers during class and going with a huge appetite--it ends up being a ton of food. In a week of highlights, this was a standout experience. Thanks to Ed, Latoya, and al the great staff at the Pink Sands. We can't wait for another visit.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just got back from another visit to Pink Sands. This time it was with a large group and they made all 60 of us happy (not easy to do). This is one of the best get a ways in the Bahamas and you have to remember that you are in the "out islands" of the Bahamas. Remote and a bit of a challenge to get to but worth it if you like a small quiet place to get away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Pink Sands has been on my list of places to stay for a long time. So I was thrilled when a business meeting took me there! Mark, the general manager greeted us upon arrival and was a most excellent host! Their cottages were large and very well appointed. There were 2 large master bedrooms, connected via a living room, and the whole side of the cottage was glass windows and doors with lovely views. When I travel, I want a large master and this more than exceeded my expectations! The bed was not only very comfortable, but had very nice linens and pillows. Housekeeping came in at least twice a day and always left the room immaculate. The area off the bar was transformed into a wonderful meeting room for our group and again, Mark was very attentive and accommodating no matter what the request. It was the best meeting I have ever attended! However Pink Sands is named for the incredible pink sand beaches! Always listed amongst the top beaches in the world, it is an incredibly beautiful beach, with miles of pink sand. And the waters are stunning! One of the other things I was really surprised about was just how good their food was! We ate every morning at the restaurant on the beach.. Gorgeous sunrises with coffee, one of life's greatest pleasures! The staff could not be more attentive, accommodating every request. Their grouper sandwich was the best I have ever eaten, and living in Florida, I get a lot of grouper! Same with their conch fritters... Yummy! They offer a cooking class, which many in our group took and loved... We did rent golf carts which is a must do in order to easily get around the property and picturesque town of Harbour Island. Some might be tempted to save a little and stay at Coral Sands. Don't. My co worker was there and it was a very very tiny room.. Bugs... For $400.. Not!
Pink Sands is an incredible resort with wonderful staff, accommodations and world class food! Book it today!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a beautiful island. We went to all good resturants and had a very enjoyable time. If you like the beach this place is for you. Be sure and get a golf cart because this is the only way to get around on this island. We flew out of Fort Lauderdale and I would strongly advise going out of Miami on American airlines. Very casual ....bathing suit and shorts and flip flops is all you need.The one thing is do not think because of the price the room is going to be beautiful because they are not. The bathrooms are the worst. This place has beautiful views .....but it really needs to be updated

Room Tip: The rooms on the ocean have beautiful views!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
west palm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Trip from hell is a little bit of an overreaction! I would just say that I agree with their thoughts that the rooms are overpriced. The bathrooms especially need a complete re-do. Compared with other hotels on the island and what they charge pink sands needs to reduce their prices until they are able to remodel at least the bathrooms. The positive is that they are very private and quiet. I have stayed in other hotels on the island where you can hear the people next door and they are not beach front. I disagree with the comments on the staff. They could not be more welcoming and always there to help. There was a rather large group there and I think that a few times they got overloaded but for the most part they were always friendly and pleasant and there to help when needed. Food was always good and you cannot beat the atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night 7 day trip from hell. We stayed in a villa that was over 800 a night(tax included but the cheapest room). Because of the price point and the fact that the most inexpensive room was this costly I thought we were in for an amazing trip. We decided that we would splurge and leave the kids behind for a romantic trip. I can't put into words how ripped off I feel and how sad and dissapointed I was. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. The room was bad enough with pictures missing, dirty sheets, a shower that flooded, a sink that flooded, light bulbs that were out. Look if I were paying 300 a night it be ok with it but over 800? You must be joking. Then let's talk ab the service if that's what you want to call it. I found out that everyone that works there minus a few managers are union workers.... Say no more. They literally made me feel like I was imposing if I asked for something. Lunch took over two hours to get and drinks at least 30 minutes. I'm really not kidding. I was with a large group and EVERYONE hated the place. Ive never written a review but I felt I had to to save someone else from this literally terrible experience. Had dinner at the Dunmore and it was amazing same with the rock house. If you are staying in Harbour island DO NOT STAY AT THE PINK SANDS

• Stayed January 2013
PinkSandsManagement, Manager at Pink Sands, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We are obviously very concerned and disappointed to read your review concerning your recent stay here at Pink Sands. The team here takes great pride in meeting guests expectations and delivering a personalized experience. It seems from your comments, that we failed to deliver in several areas.

I do know that we had many satisfied guests from a large wedding we had at the resort at that time, including the bride and groom, their respective families and their many friends . In fact we have received several letters of thanks and extremely complimentary messages regarding our service and their overall experience.

This of course in no detracts from your view and again I am very disappointed to now find you felt you did not receive value. I must point out that overall, given the unique nature of our resort, its' private cottages and expansive property, we rarely get complaints regarding the price of the rooms, which are well priced in our study compared to other Caribbean and Bahamian destinations.

We continue to upgrade the resort and the owners are committed to presenting a boutique resort of quality offering friendly personalized service.

I work tirelessly to ensure we deliver on all fronts, so again I apologize and say how disappointed I am that you feel this way. If you would like to contact me directly and I would like to discuss a return stay at our experience if you feel like giving us another chance.

All the best in your future travels.
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've been going to the out islands for the past 35 years. I've always wanted to stay at Pink Sands. Unfortunately I found it very disappointing and extremely overpriced. Our villa had major maintenance issues including bathroom flooding which required an entire afternoon to repair. The GM told us the villas were inspected after each stay but that seems hard to believe as the lights were broken, window shades broken, etc. when we arrived. The food was good but the first night we waited an hour at the table for the first course to be served. Villas are also very close together so there is little privacy. They try to provide frequent room service, but it becomes intrusive with at least 6 housekeeping visits scheduled and no "do not disturb" signs provided so they wake you up when you want to rest and relax in peace. Beach service is poor - they ran out of towels and walked right by us when serving drinks to others. For $750 a night plus another $180 in taxes/fees and high food prices ($160 for thanksgiving turkey dinner for two), there are a VAST number of much better and more reasonably priced alternatives. To top it off, the GM who was aware of the maintenance issues intimated he would provide some compensation for our trouble, but was nowhere to be found at checkout and nothing at all was done for us. Really disappointing overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pink Sands? Share your experiences!