“Romantic Escape to Runaway Hill Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Runaway Hill Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Harbour Island
Runaway Hill Club
Box EL 27031 | Dunmore Town, Harbour Island   |
Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Harbour Island
Cold Spring Harbor
“Romantic Escape to Runaway Hill Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights and 4 days in one of Runaway's exceptional villa's. Every room and villa is steps away from the most beautiful beach and view I have ever seen. The beautiful panorama is always at the center of your activities whether its sipping a Goombay Smash at the bar or sitting indoor or oudoors for breakfast lunch or dinner. The pool and deck overlooks the ocean. But why settle for the pool when you have such natural beuty at your fingertips. The beach is very wide with beautiful pink sand that is so fine that sugar is course gravel by comparison. Whether its wraaping yourself around a book, snorkeling or taking a long walk, fishing or taking a ride on the beach on horseback you just cannot get enough of the view and peaceful tranquility offered as a tonic to the fast paced 8-6 grind back home. The wonderful chef Kent takes full advantage of the local fresh seafood (dont leave without ordering a lobster roll) everything from Mahi Mahi to Stone Crab Claws and plenty for the landlubbers as well. Kent takes the ordinary and makes it extraordinary . Foodies will be delighted. Kent's wife Monique is an exceptional host and Ryan the bartender is always smiling and ready for a good laugh while he works his mixology magic at the bar. The GM Paul clearly sets the warm home away from home tone that permeates all the staff and he works very hard to make your stay very easy and relaxing. The villa rooms are large and airy with high ceilings. The floors were large travertine tile. The king sized beds were luxurious and very comfortable. The sliding door on both ends of the room created a cool breeze . The rooms are of course air conditioned but in May there was absolutely no need for forced air. The baths were large and tiled with deep rich blue glass reminiscient of the nearby ocean. The porch furniture and hammock were nice touches for begining and ending your day. As far as Harbour Island goes it is a mix of new and old world with tons of charm, narrow streets, mostly foot traffic and the occasional golf cart which it the primary way to get around the 3.5 mile long island. Runaway Hill is the perfect nest for your stay but the island is an underappreciated (thank god) treasure of the Carribean. I'm only sharing this with you because it is the best way I know how to thank the Runaway Hill for a memory that will last a lifetime.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
key west
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

What a fantastic little Inn with spectacular food, service, and a view beyond compare on the Island. The people of Harbour island are absolutely the best of any Islands. We will return here asap. Hospitality at it's BEST... Easy walk down to 3 mile Pink Beach

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

I used to bop all around the Caribbean now I'm lucky if I get away every two years. With a 5 year old son in tow, the thrill of visiting small, hard to get to islands and wonderfully weird and friendly inns I thought was a memory. The need for a direct flight from NYC had pinned me down to Aruba and the DR then it struck me straight to Nassau is about 3 hours! And since that flight is rather cheap now, I could splurge on a seaplane over to Harbour! But what then where to stay? The great beach has some nice old homes set into the hillside, one of them is Runaway Hill. Down the Pink beach they will charge you for ice, here there is an honer bar until 4:00 pm and in the morning you can shuffle out of your room and help yourself to a cup of coffee before the formalities of a regular breakfast. It's soooooo laid back and right up my ally. Runaway has a reverse osmosis well set up so the water is very drinkable.
During my families visit to Runaway the constant conversation between my wife and myself was " geez this is it! no more looking- It's back and back to Harbour and Runaway Hill.... " if you can afford the extra thrill of the tiny seaplane, the trip not only becomes very easy from NY- On the beach by 2:00pm! - but life affirming too. Runaway Hill is that home/inn you wish you had in the Carib. Talk about location, Mark Messier had a mean slap shot and a good eye for real estate. Mark's sister Jenny was our host and a kinder lady you'll rarely meat in your travels. What a great beach!... Even body surfing waves.... Pigeon Point, Tobago comes to mind, 15 years ago. Nothing is built up the houses are back into the trees, the beach is perfectly clean and the sea water had a great green color because of the abundance of coral- you would think you were much further down the chain in the Grenadines. We didn't pack one sweater, so excited were we to leave this past winter's grip. It does however get a bit chilly at night and the trade winds can freeze you after exiting the pool. I understand this past Feb it was real cold down there. So think about that.
Dining out on Harbour is as if you went out to an expensive Danny Meyer restaurant every day of the week! It does add up. The proudly most expensive is The Rock House which was described in the local guidebook as to be $100 per person. We scoffed at that; indeed our little man would share off our plates so there is now way the two of us could... The bill came in at $303. The Rock House does not cut back in the strength of the drinks! but a margarita is $20 be warned. I noticed a lot of whispy ladies slowly nursing their one drink as my wife and I went crazy. The food is oh so tasty though GET THE RUM CAKE and then Rosie came in! yes Rosie O'Donnel and my wife normally is quiet as a mouse, doesn't talk to anyone a real voyer- well after two of these margaritas she waves Rosie over - and points to some plump brightly colored cushions that were set up in an outside sitting area and says or states " you're Going to the CATBIRD seat!?" Dear Rosie must be used to being accosted by off center fans but the look she gave my wife was... ' oh your dangerous ' " Catbird... " My wife tried to explain but it was too late, Rosie and crew made a quick circle around the pool, finished their one drink and left. "It's an old fashioned saying..."
The Food is great at Runaway and Chef Kent is so cool, he has two kids so he really puts out the effort there, the chicken & fish fingers all fresh, nice little kids menu. For the big folks, Kent really has a knack- the white eye red snapper? was sublime. Other fine dining on the island, Coral Sands is better than Pink Sands although Coral Sands has bought Pink Sands. The former chefs of both Pink Sands and Coral sands have left and formed their own Italian restaurant Aqua Paza, this is a fun rest from the high priced $40 entrees all over the island-- and the more affordable food allowed us to nab a Barolo on our last night as the sun set in front of us...
Everyone zips around Harbour Island on a golf cart- the locals too! It's great fun, my 5 year old probably should not of been driving but he was. For local flavor and a fab breakfast make sure you go to Avery's a few times. The Hole In The Wall is their specialty, it's sort of a buttered up french toast-like home made bread with a hole cut out ahead of time and you cook it one side in butter and then flip and drop and egg into the hole and get the whole thing off at the right time. The coffee is really good at Avery's too. Another help yourself set up.
In summing up I have to say Harbour Island is a GREAT vacation and like everyone else, I relied heavily on TripAdvisor to make my choice. Thank you all for Runaway Hill! You only have one chance when booking a vacation, if you are the kid of person who would rather drown than wind up at Atlantis, if you value a perfect beach, comfy chairs, good food, no attitude, friendly ownership and great locals. Complete safety and interesting fellow travelers... Then Runaway Hill is for you.-Largeman

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

My husband and I recently spent four nights at Runaway Hill. By the time we left, we were already planning our next visit.

The Inn itself is absolutely lovely. Upon our arrival, we were shown to our room (more to come), and then invited to the bar for a complimentary drink and shown around the property. We were introduced to the mechanisms of the well-stocked honor bar (the bartender, Ryan, comes on at 4pm daily), and shown where to find towels, etc. for the beach. The Inn is an old plantation home – comfortable and not too large. There is a nice fireplace in the living room which was lit one day while we were there. Many of the guests sat around it for an afternoon talking – such a nice way to spend the day. The pool is small, but heated, and has a nice deck with comfortable chairs to sit on. The beach is beautiful, though it was rather too windy to use while we were there.

We stayed in the main house, in one of the two upstairs bedrooms above the dining room. Our room was perfect – the bed was fantastically comfortable, and had an incredible view of the beach and ocean from the pillows. It also has a small private deck on the rooftop with deck chairs and a sun umbrella, where we spent most of our afternoons reading and enjoying the sun. It was quiet, cozy, full of light, incredibly clean, and absolutely perfect.

Our favorite part of our visit, which we continue to rave about to friends and family, was the food. We simply can’t say enough about the meals we had, or Executive Chef Kent MacDonald. I am vegetarian and highly allergic to fish, so was a little nervous about what my dining options would be. I needn’t have worried. Kent met with us the day we checked in, reviewed my dietary restrictions and preferences, and assured me that he would be handling my meals himself. He went above and beyond in doing so. We ate in the dining room two of our four nights on the island, and both nights he designed what were essentially tasting menus – multiple small, few-bite dishes which, while taking into account my own preferences, incorporated the flavors of the island. The regular menu has a great deal of fish, much to my husband’s pleasure. Our second night dining, he invited Kent to simply surprise him – and was also given a marvelous sampling of local seafood. Kent, together with Monique, the Dining Manager, made our stay simply outstanding.

Breakfasts were also delicious. The menu includes simple fare, such as toast and oatmeal; you can also get omelettes, pancakes, french toast (made with homemade bread) and other yummy dishes. Breakfast is served from 8:30 to 10:30. We ate there each morning, and enjoyed the company of the other guests – many of whom have been coming to Runaway Hill for 15 years or more and who were happy to let the "newbies" join in the conversation.

The rest of the staff were also absolutely wonderful. The bartender, Ryan, is a born-and-raised local, who shared numerous stories about the island and its people. Jenny, one of the Messier siblings, was on site during our visit, and was the perfect hostess – sharing the history of the house, giving us advice on the island, and helping out in numerous little ways – like putting my still-damp sweater in the dryer and driving us to the ferry for our departure. Our many, many thanks to everyone at Runaway Hill for the perfect vacation. We can’t wait to come back – and hope to become "regulars" ourselves.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
birmingham, alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Runaway Hill for a week in February. I can not express how highly I would recommend this hotel and Harbour Island. The Messier family makes you feel like a part of the family, and by the end of the week we felt like we had being staying at a friend's beachouse. We have traveled to numerous other resorts in the Caribbean (including Petit St. Vincent, Biras Creek, Caneel Bay, etc.) and we will definitely be returning to Runaway Hill.

While at Harbour Island, I would recommend renting a golf cart, and the following restaurants: Sip Sip (lunch), Arthur's Bakery (breakfast), Dunmore Deli (lunch), the Landing and the Rock House (dinner). Don't venture too far though--Kent (the chef at Runaway Hill) serves Capt. Rich's fresh catch every evening, and it is the best restaurant on the island. The self-serve bar for hotel guests (when Ryan the bartender isn't around) is also a great feature.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

My wife and I decided that it was time to leave our two daughters and go on our first kid free holiday in over 5 years. We looked around and we decided to stray at the Runaway Hill Inn and it was the most unbelievable holiday of our lives.
The Hotel is immaculate and the owners and management really make you feel welcome. It has 11 rooms and it is set in the best beach I have been in. The rooms and bathrooms are really clean and roomy and every day we had fresh flowers in the room. The property itself has around 13 acres of land and Harbour Island is just such a cool place to be. There are so many things to do. We stayed at an Ocean View room, and we slept every night with the windows open listen to the Ocean. Breakfast was served in the patio overlooking the most wonderful coloured water I have ever seen. By the way, the French Toast was incredible (but all food was - more on that later).
The Hotel has a heated swimming pool with a deck overlooking the Pink Beach (yes, it is really pink) and the ocean. It has a private beach with umbrellas and beach chairs always ready to be used. From the beach you can see the Coral Reef and you can use their snorkelling gear (or even their kayak) to go and see some wonderful fish.
Lunch is not normally provided so we had a chance to explore the island and no matter where we went for lunch it was all really good food. Our favourite place was the Dunmore Deli where we had amazing sandwiches.
We had dinner every night (expect Monday, that the dining room was closed) and the Runaway Hill restaurant and I have to say that Kent (the Chef) prepares the best food, seriously, I travel a bit and his food is incredible. Their always a fish of the day and since Harbour Island is known for its fishing we had it every day and it was to die for. Try the Lobster spring rolls as well you will not be disappointed
Since the Hotel is quite small and the owners really try to make everybody welcomed we got to meet some of the other guests and we had an amazing time. We played Bocce at the beach regularly at it was a blast.
The Bar is always open in an honour system so you can get anything you want and just write down your consumptions. Before dinner they had a bartender (Ryan) that made some of the best drinks in the island.
Overall we had the time of our lives and cannot wait to be back.

• Liked — Location, friendliness of the staff, food, the overal relax atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Our time at Runaway Hill was outstanding! Without question one of the best hotel experiences ever! The staff was so friendly and accommodating. Everyone makes you feel so at home and relaxed. AMAZING food too!

• Liked — Great Service
  • Disliked — Almost too nice for Island Living
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Runaway Hill Club? Share your experiences!