“Round House Inn, welcome to Barbados” 4 of 5 stars

Round House Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   Highway Z, Bathsheba, Barbados   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Bathsheba B&B and Inns
Guadeloupe
“Round House Inn, welcome to Barbados”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you're looking for a place where everything is perfect, search an other location...
If you're looking for a place to meet barbadians, have a good sleep earing the waves, have sweet times with people inside and outside the bar or the hotel, Round House Inn is the right place.
Come to be coooool, no stress and you will have a good time, if you come stressed, and you're looking for perfection, you will have a bad time. If you need something you will find someone to give you tip in simple way
If you're a surfer, it's a very good place, just go on the balcony or open your windows to check Soup Bowl & Co.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This 2nd generation, family run beach restaurant/hotel is truly special! But, as I read through some of the negative reviews on the Road House and more specifically the service, I have to ask the question - what do people expect from a remote and very old surfing village that doesn’t even have an ATM or gas station? I am not from Barbados and this was my first trip to this magnificent island, but I have travelled extensively around the world in style as well as in just board shorts/sandals. I feel that I have an absolute understanding to what is proper accommodation and service for the location/price. In my personal opinion, it comes with the territory that the ultra-relaxed attitude of local worker is part of the experience when you are in this type of environment. I think it’s a bit ridiculous to be so harsh on an establishment that is priced very reasonable in comparison to other restaurants/hotels on the island.

With all of that said, I stayed at the Round House in room 4 for 7 nights in late August 2012. I can honestly say that my experience could have not been more pleasurable. My room was particularly clean and comfortable for the modest price I paid. I never felt that my passport, wallet, computer and iPad were ever at danger to be stolen, which is something I can rarely say in other remote regions I have previously travelled. The views, beaches, surfing and sunrises/sunsets were all awe inspiring. The staff felt more like a group of friends rather than the sometimes awkward hotel staff you find at hotels. They were very accommodating to my every need. The restaurant was absolutely fine for the price, sure they were sometimes slow but who cares…seriously?! This is not a 5 star restaurant in New York. I also chose to eat at a few high end restaurants during my stay and can say that the increase in service was not relative to the increase in price.

If you are considering staying at Bathsheba, then the Round House is a fantastic option. If you are just stopping through on a day trip, then be prepared to relax, soak up the calm energy and have a nice simple meal with a few banks beers or your favorite libation.

Room Tip: Get room 4
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Bridgetown, Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Despite all the negative reviews that the Round House receives; this place truly is a gem on earth. The impressive vistas just beg you to behold them, and when you are not beholding the impressive natural beauty; the mind is yearning to take a look again. The restaurant serves the most delicious zucchini bread and the BBQ chicken and blackened shark is absolutely mouth watering. Visitors will appreciate the natural charm and the rustic appeal of the place. You can never please all men ,someone will always have something negative to say, but at the end of the day; beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and this is unequivocally a beautiful place, and when appetite kicks in after all the beauty— there are sumptuous Caribbean meals and cold BANKS beer! One guy's impression? Impressed and fully sated. The Round House compliments the Bathsheba experience nicely. As a further observation; I think the morale of the staff could do with a boost, but they were all certainly willing to please. Kevin (one of the managers) is also an amazing guy! ( Makes the best natural fruit smoothies on earth! )

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have been to Barbados twice. Each time a trip to Bathsheba was a part of the plan and enjoyed. Round House had been seen on tripadvisor and an instant attraction was felt...and lunch was the right time of day for us to be there.

We had no reservation. The restaurant was busy, but the wait staff found a table for us...First time on the terrace, second inside in front of a window. The Breeze is lovely and welcome as lunchtime is a peak time for Sun too. Menus provided quickly and drinks magically appeared. The waitress noticed I was more than a little warm and brought a cold towel to the table for me. Now that is above and beyond!

We shared the Flying fish plate as an appetizer and it was delicious. Fish and chicken mains tasty, as was the breadfruit chips. Coconut pie yummy. Perhaps as I am a New York native the prices did not seem terrible....high yes, but then any place we ate in Barbados was expensive so not shocking that this was too and was known from reading the reviews.

Service was slow, but friendly and as these trips were vacation, no rush needed.Felt very comfortable with just chilling out, staff did not rush us. Was nice to sit and linger over our bottle of wine, while the heat of the day dissipated. Not a place to eat on the run, but then why would you want to?

I liked it so much that I asked for a tour of the rooms above. The manager was more than informative and showed all to me..Each different, small, lovely, and the views....WOW..Not a plastic shiny place.... charming is the right description.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had a wonderful time here. Everyone we met was very friendly & helpful. If you are looking for AC, TV, nightlife, etc., this one isn't for you (although we actually had internet for parts of the day). We're early risers so loved getting up with the sun. We stopped at a market before going to Bathsheba as we read about the east side off season, and our room had a small working fridge just perfect for cocktails & beer, juices, fruit & muffins. The manager asked us when we would be dining to make sure they were prepared if we were going to be there for meals, so it worked well for all, I think. Truly are beautiful views, and the lighted deck from room #3 is great for hanging out at night playing cribbage and drinking rum. Also great for being able to watch my husband surf and still be on the deck reading a book. The one warning I would have is mosquitoes -- they seem to eat Cutters, Deep Woods off, anything I put on. Being only shutters on the windows & skylights, it's wonderful sleeping listening to the ocean with the breeze, but not so much getting chewed, not so bad with the wind, but couldn't count on the wind. We had rain part of every day, so prepare for damp if rain is in the forecast. Would recommend it like we did it, a few days here, then over to the other side with the sand beaches and pools. Loved both.

Room Tip: Room 3 was great, large shared deck, great views, seemed better than private deck on room 4.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous review. The Round House Inn enjoys the most fantastic views of the Atlantic Ocean but seems to rely solely on this advantage.
Our original email enquiry was dealt with in an un-business like manner but the only other hotel close by, The Atlantic, was full and we particularly wanted to stay on the East coast of Barbados.
Our room (room 3) was on the shabby side with a bed far too large for the space. Manoeuvering round the bed was difficult and there was no space for our luggage (one small suitcase). An oldish fridge was sitting on one of the bedside tables and the shower cubicle was virtually in the bedroom. Any electrical appliances had to be run from an extension cable found under the bed. There was an acute shortage of hot water and the bed and its linen had seen better days.
The large deck was not private, it could be accessed by guests from other rooms and it did not have any sunloungers on it as shown in the pictures on the hotel website. The dipping pool was a foot bath (please see photos). The deck had some wooden chairs on it which were adorned with old clothes that must have been left by past guests. On the floor were some unsavoury items such as used Q tips. It obviously had not been swept for a while and did not get swept while we were there.
The rate does not include breakfast and the breakfast provided was adequate, no more. Dinner was fine, not memorable.
The whole place felt unloved and uncared for. Locals were drinking in the bar at 9.00 am. The owner hid in the office, never once coming out to say 'Hello'. The check-in and out was slow and unprofessional. Our room did not get cleaned during our stay. The staff was adequate but could do with more guidance and training with regard to service.
What was most disappointing is that this small hotel could be so much better. It only requires a really good clean, some better linen and some better trained staff. It seems as though the owners have lost their enthusiasm and it shows big time.
What did we like? the wonderful sea breezes, the magnificent views, its location away from the touristy side of the island and some of the old furniture in the reception area. Would we recommend? Unfortunately, NO.

Room Tip: Perhaps room 4 as it has a private deck. However, we did not see it.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed in February and were amazed at how unprofessional everything was. Our room was not cleaned, nor the bed made, for two days and it appeared as if nobody really cared.
The general cleanliness of the dining room was not good. The food was OK but one day I asked for a fruit salad at breakfast and got mainly apple and banana - this is Barbados, so where was the real fruit ? We paid $175 for our room which was vastly overpriced and although I loved the situation of the building it would take me a long time to return. I feel that the owners have lost interest and it needs a huge infusion of $$$, and enthusiasm, to get it back to what it obviously was a while ago. A great disappointment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Round House Inn? Share your experiences!