“beauty on the east coast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Atlantis Hotel

You added The Atlantis Hotel to your Saves list
The Atlantis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Tent Bay | St. Joseph, Bathsheba BB21054, Barbados   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Bathsheba B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Llanfyllin, United Kingdom
“beauty on the east coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A beautiful spot in the often overlooked east coast of barbados. We have always loved the rough beauty of Bathsheba but because of the currents in the ocean, we've never stayed here before. It's lovely! The easterly wind keeps everything cooler than the west coast and there are no tourists. The Atlantis is lovely. Fabulous accommodation - we are in the cottage. The pool is great and our meal tonight was really good. Well worth a visit

Room Tip: Try out the local rum shops and just relax. There's nothing to do and all day to do it!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had a mixed experience at The Atlantis when we went over the Christmas / New Year's Holidays .... On the plus side, the Staff and food were very good. On the downside, the "house" we were in often had a really bad sewer-like smell in the mornings ... and it happened a few mornings. For any visitor, we would advise that you need to know "where" you are booking ... this is the side of the island where there is literally "nothing" to do without getting in your car. Not that that is bad .... you just need to know. It was also VERY windy the entire week+ we were there .... and there is not a beach in front of the hotel, as some pictures might make you think. We would recommend this for a few days (maximum) as part of staying a few places on the island. If you have little kids, this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
moondance2010, Owner at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thanks for your review.
The east side of the island, The Atlantic side, is rugged, unspoiled and ideal for those of us who like coastal walks, reading books and simply lazing around.
Swimming in the ocean is limited to a couple of spots, and yes, a car does make getting around easier ( for those that wish to explore )
Regarding the sewage smell, we did have an issue with a pump over Christmas / New year, which has now been rectified. Touch wood, problem solved.
I think in essence, the writer of the review does make the point that you do need to know where you are staying. The east coast is undeveloped. That is what makes it so appealing to many of our guests. Try us for a couple of nights to start with.
east sussex uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Yes another stay here this year ,the huge rooms -joes river - the very welcoming staff , including the famous Diane , the excellent breakfasts , lunch and dinner with that view immutable view of the crashing Bathsheba sea .
Can't help but feel affection for this place on the wild east coast , very relaxing as you begin to adjust to that 5 hour time difference from the uk .
A gem of a place that puts you in that barbados state of mind .
Locally for a change worth trying the cove restaurant a short distance from the atlantis run by the
Characterful laurel who will cook you a marvellous lunch and fill you in on the gossip.
At the atlantis I recall an excellent lobster dish - in the uk lobster is a joke played on the gullible punter - here you get plenty of beautiful tasty lobster it renews your faith in this dish.

Room Tip: Joes river large but quieter than tge rooms overlooking the sea
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your recent visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them yet again. I have also passed your comments on to the entire team here at the Atlantis. As an esteemed repeat client, we will always strive to ensure your holidays with us are truly memorable. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again in 2015.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

There isn't enough I can say about this hotel and the AMAZING people who work there. We were there for our honeymoon April 6-12 and it was one of the best times we have ever had. I had chosen this hotel because of the location. It is right up the road from Soup Bowl. My husband is a huge surfer and I had heard that the surfing is amazing there. I knew it was quite remote compared to the west coast but that is exactly what we wanted. Peace, quiet, and tranquility. It did not disappoint!

Before we even got there we already had felt so welcome! Diane and Javon had been emailing me making sure we were getting taken care of. We arrived on a Sunday and since the restaurant isn't open sunday evenings they made sure we were taken care of leaving us delicious salads in our room.

Javon came out and greeted us right away when we arrived and when we met Diane the next day she hugged us and acted like she had known us for years making us feel like family! Every time the staff saw us they welcomed us with open arms! I miss them still!!! I got teary eyed my last day because I was going to miss them so much!!

We stayed in a room called Three Boys. BEAUTIFUL!!!! A corner room that has a large middle window (or opening since there isn't glass but just a railing) from floor to ceiling. My husband and I would just sit in front of it feeling the wind and looking out to the gorgeous ocean. If only I could see that everyday!!!!

The restaurant was delicious as well. We ate there many times and it was always amazing and again with the perfect views! They always sat us at the best tables :) Their Wednesday and Sunday brunches are incredible! I just wish I could eat my fill!!

I can't say enough about this hotel. Everybody asks me how we enjoyed our trip. What I tell them is of course I had an amazing time. It is beautiful and the views are breathtaking but what I tell them made it different than visiting other places? The local people. I tell them how welcoming and friendly they are and how they act as if they've known you for years. Thank you Atlantis for making our honeymoon the best it could possibly be. We will definitely be returning in the future.....hopefully sooner than later.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Firstly, I must say WOW, what an impressive and comprehensive review! Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them. I have also passed your comments onto the team here and they were thrilled to see your review. Everyone is overjoyed that you had an amazing honeymoon here. We look forward to welcoming you both to our property again in the not too distant future.

Regards
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just returned from a week in Barbados and we stayed 3 nights at Atlantis. Our rooms were in the main house. The rooms were huge and clean with all expected amenities and were directly on the ocean. The Atlantis dining room/deck provides extraordinary views of coastline. The location allows you to get to the different sites in the middle of the island (Harrison's Cave, zip lines, gardens) easily. We ate several different meals here (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and all were delicious with a local feel. The restaurant is well known across the island and attracts a nice crowd for lunch and dinner.

Lastly, the folks that work at this hotel are friendly, accommodating and helpful....they have a very strong staff and customer service approach to everything they do.

It's a boutique hotel that delivers a genuine experience (somewhat of a bed & breakfast vibe). I highly recommend for both families and couples.

Stayed April 2014
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your family's visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them. I have also passed your comments on to the entire team here at the Atlantis. We look forward to welcoming you and your wonderful family to our property again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We have stayed at The Atlantis every year for the last 4 years & it's the best kept secret in Barbados or it feels like it is to us.............

Try one of the rooms in the hotel but for us we adore staying at one of their beach side lodges Upper Capernum just magical listening to the roar to the Atlantic whilst relaxing at the pool or on our balcony

Food is excellent and the staff headed up by Diane are so friendly love Adrian for his breakfast service & running drinks/lunch down to the pool

Room Tip: Go for the outside lodge
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them once again. I have also passed your comments on to the entire team here at the Atlantis. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again in the future.

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Superb hotel on the "unfashionable" side of Barbados - over on the East Atlantic Coast with the crashing waves, long empty sandy beaches. completely different to the flat west coast where you can no longer sea the beaches from the road due to the proliferation of upscale mega pricy hotels. The hotel itself felt "colonial / plantation chic" with simple yet original furniture ( four poster with netting), solid wood floors etc. We had one of the sea-view rooms with large shutters opening directly onto the views of Tent Bay. Service from the staff was amongst the best we have had in years, car hire, taxis arranged, cricket tickets delivered to our breakfast table with a days notice - we felt looked after and very welcome. Breakfasts (included in rate) had a wonderful 'local feel' - choices of a basket of fresh banana breads, or fish cakes, or cereals were available. Dinner and lunch were also good at what is really a restaurant with rooms. You do need a car here if you want explore the attractions - Bathsheba beach, Hunte's Gardens, Welchmans gully ( go at 1030 to see the wild monkeys who are now wise to the regular delivery of bananas). Driving is reasonably easy but a GPS would have been a big help ( and maybe think twice about night driving). So overall a wonderful place to stay in a different Barbados that many see.

Room Tip: Go for sea view for an extra special room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them. We enjoy making all our guests feel at home and assisting them in anyway we can. No request is too large or too small for our team here. I truly hope you both had an enjoyable cruise after your visit and a safe and pleasant onward journey home. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again in the future.

Best Regards

Been to The Atlantis Hotel? Share your experiences!