“Perfect way to start your barbados holiday” 4 of 5 stars

The Atlantis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tent Bay | St. Joseph, Bathsheba, Barbados   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bathsheba
east sussex uk
“Perfect way to start your barbados holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Yes another stay here this year ,the huge rooms -joes river - the very welcoming staff , including the famous Diane , the excellent breakfasts , lunch and dinner with that view immutable view of the crashing Bathsheba sea .
Can't help but feel affection for this place on the wild east coast , very relaxing as you begin to adjust to that 5 hour time difference from the uk .
A gem of a place that puts you in that barbados state of mind .
Locally for a change worth trying the cove restaurant a short distance from the atlantis run by the
Characterful laurel who will cook you a marvellous lunch and fill you in on the gossip.
At the atlantis I recall an excellent lobster dish - in the uk lobster is a joke played on the gullible punter - here you get plenty of beautiful tasty lobster it renews your faith in this dish.

Room Tip: Joes river large but quieter than tge rooms overlooking the sea
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your recent visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them yet again. I have also passed your comments on to the entire team here at the Atlantis. As an esteemed repeat client, we will always strive to ensure your holidays with us are truly memorable. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again in 2015.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

There isn't enough I can say about this hotel and the AMAZING people who work there. We were there for our honeymoon April 6-12 and it was one of the best times we have ever had. I had chosen this hotel because of the location. It is right up the road from Soup Bowl. My husband is a huge surfer and I had heard that the surfing is amazing there. I knew it was quite remote compared to the west coast but that is exactly what we wanted. Peace, quiet, and tranquility. It did not disappoint!

Before we even got there we already had felt so welcome! Diane and Javon had been emailing me making sure we were getting taken care of. We arrived on a Sunday and since the restaurant isn't open sunday evenings they made sure we were taken care of leaving us delicious salads in our room.

Javon came out and greeted us right away when we arrived and when we met Diane the next day she hugged us and acted like she had known us for years making us feel like family! Every time the staff saw us they welcomed us with open arms! I miss them still!!! I got teary eyed my last day because I was going to miss them so much!!

We stayed in a room called Three Boys. BEAUTIFUL!!!! A corner room that has a large middle window (or opening since there isn't glass but just a railing) from floor to ceiling. My husband and I would just sit in front of it feeling the wind and looking out to the gorgeous ocean. If only I could see that everyday!!!!

The restaurant was delicious as well. We ate there many times and it was always amazing and again with the perfect views! They always sat us at the best tables :) Their Wednesday and Sunday brunches are incredible! I just wish I could eat my fill!!

I can't say enough about this hotel. Everybody asks me how we enjoyed our trip. What I tell them is of course I had an amazing time. It is beautiful and the views are breathtaking but what I tell them made it different than visiting other places? The local people. I tell them how welcoming and friendly they are and how they act as if they've known you for years. Thank you Atlantis for making our honeymoon the best it could possibly be. We will definitely be returning in the future.....hopefully sooner than later.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Firstly, I must say WOW, what an impressive and comprehensive review! Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them. I have also passed your comments onto the team here and they were thrilled to see your review. Everyone is overjoyed that you had an amazing honeymoon here. We look forward to welcoming you both to our property again in the not too distant future.

Regards
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just returned from a week in Barbados and we stayed 3 nights at Atlantis. Our rooms were in the main house. The rooms were huge and clean with all expected amenities and were directly on the ocean. The Atlantis dining room/deck provides extraordinary views of coastline. The location allows you to get to the different sites in the middle of the island (Harrison's Cave, zip lines, gardens) easily. We ate several different meals here (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and all were delicious with a local feel. The restaurant is well known across the island and attracts a nice crowd for lunch and dinner.

Lastly, the folks that work at this hotel are friendly, accommodating and helpful....they have a very strong staff and customer service approach to everything they do.

It's a boutique hotel that delivers a genuine experience (somewhat of a bed & breakfast vibe). I highly recommend for both families and couples.

Stayed April 2014
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your family's visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them. I have also passed your comments on to the entire team here at the Atlantis. We look forward to welcoming you and your wonderful family to our property again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We have stayed at The Atlantis every year for the last 4 years & it's the best kept secret in Barbados or it feels like it is to us.............

Try one of the rooms in the hotel but for us we adore staying at one of their beach side lodges Upper Capernum just magical listening to the roar to the Atlantic whilst relaxing at the pool or on our balcony

Food is excellent and the staff headed up by Diane are so friendly love Adrian for his breakfast service & running drinks/lunch down to the pool

Room Tip: Go for the outside lodge
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them once again. I have also passed your comments on to the entire team here at the Atlantis. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again in the future.

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Superb hotel on the "unfashionable" side of Barbados - over on the East Atlantic Coast with the crashing waves, long empty sandy beaches. completely different to the flat west coast where you can no longer sea the beaches from the road due to the proliferation of upscale mega pricy hotels. The hotel itself felt "colonial / plantation chic" with simple yet original furniture ( four poster with netting), solid wood floors etc. We had one of the sea-view rooms with large shutters opening directly onto the views of Tent Bay. Service from the staff was amongst the best we have had in years, car hire, taxis arranged, cricket tickets delivered to our breakfast table with a days notice - we felt looked after and very welcome. Breakfasts (included in rate) had a wonderful 'local feel' - choices of a basket of fresh banana breads, or fish cakes, or cereals were available. Dinner and lunch were also good at what is really a restaurant with rooms. You do need a car here if you want explore the attractions - Bathsheba beach, Hunte's Gardens, Welchmans gully ( go at 1030 to see the wild monkeys who are now wise to the regular delivery of bananas). Driving is reasonably easy but a GPS would have been a big help ( and maybe think twice about night driving). So overall a wonderful place to stay in a different Barbados that many see.

Room Tip: Go for sea view for an extra special room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them. We enjoy making all our guests feel at home and assisting them in anyway we can. No request is too large or too small for our team here. I truly hope you both had an enjoyable cruise after your visit and a safe and pleasant onward journey home. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have just returned from a week in Barbados - our first trip there. We spent the first three days at The Tamarind resort on the west coast of the island - no complaints & beautiful beaches, but also no character whatsoever - you could basically be anywhere.

As a result our true exploration of Barbados only commenced the moment we headed to the east coast. And it was twofold;

1. Bathsheba is an absolutely beautiful place! It feels very real, lush, rugged, windswept, natural and unspoilt. The ocean is magnificent and the Soupbowl surf area very cool. Whilst you can't swim in the sea due to the undercurrents and reef, it would be a total travesty if this stopped you from visiting. Spending time here was such a treat.

2. The Atlantis Hotel is a stunning gem of a hotel - we fell in love in with the place the moment we arrived. The building itself is steeped in history & strikes the balance between old and new perfectly. We stayed in an ocean front room which was huge & perfect in every way, and we had the best sleeps of our lives listening to the sound of the waves at night. The food was extremely delicious & the pool great for cooling off in the afternoons. However the best asset The Atlantis has is the people - Diane welcoming us, Javon arranging trips for us, Victor making us cocktails & Valance driving us around the island at the drop of a hat. Each & every person we came into contact with provided amazing service and was a joy to be around. I cannot thank you all enough for making our trip so perfect.

I don't know when we'll be back in Barbados, however if we do return, we will be going straight back to Bathsheba & The Atlantis. We always swore never to go anywhere twice (and have stuck to it!) however I believe these places & people are worth breaking that rule.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased to read about your visit. We take great pride in the range of services / facilities we offer and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed them. I have also passed your comments on to the entire team here at the Atlantis. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again in the future.

Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

No need to go on about the location. It's wonderful. And that's the main reason that folks choose to come to the East Coast of Barbados.
As for this hotel... well, so many things could be better. We had booked a good room - Upper Capernum - and it has a nice terrace from which to view the ocean. Unfortunately, when we arrived, the room was very hot and stuffy. All the shutters were closed and the air-con unit (only in the bedroom, please note) was off. What a welcome! I mentioned this later to Diane and all she could say was "I thought you were arriving later." Now we had confirmed our travel arrangements in the previous day or two by email, and she had arranged for a taxi to meet us! So... how could she have thought we were arriving later? It's not as if there were many arrivals that day. The hotel was not busy - perhaps 5 or 6 couples.
Anyway... back to the room. There is not even a fan in the living area / kitchen! Only the bedroom is air-conditioned. Not even an extractor fan in the bathroom! And guess where the wardrobe is? No... not in the bedroom. It's in the bathroom! So... no cool, dry clothes!
Furnishings are basic. No nice wee extras.
Food was good and is the subject of a separate review.
Service was average (at best). My wife ordered a mid-morning coffee by the pool and her cup was still there when we went for dinner at night. A napkin lay on the decking for 3 days (!) until Andrew (the owner) picked it up when helping us with our cases. I mentioned to him that it had lain there for all that time, but Andrew doesn't like criticism. You can see that by his responses to some reviews (both here and at Little Good Harbour!)
By all means be persuaded by the good reviews, but... what I've said is indicative of an establishment that needs good management. I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisBarbadosWI, Operations Manager at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thanks for your feedback. We are very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations as it’s our aim to satisfy all of our clients' needs 100% of the time. However, sometimes no matter how hard one tries, you just can’t please everyone. Upper Cappernum is an extremely popular choice amongst our repeat clientele and you will see several reviews on Trip Advisor which are the complete opposite of yours. You are the first person to complain about where the wardrobes are located or where the AC units are located for example. It’s almost as if you were intent on finding something to be displeased about.

Just to clarify to anyone reading your review, Upper Cappernum has two bedrooms, not one and they are both air-conditioned. There are also two wardrobes and not one as you've suggested. There is one in the bathroom and there is one in the second bedroom.

It’s difficult for us to quantify what exactly your disappointment is based on, as the things you mentioned mostly seem to be highly trivial. I also note by reading some of your other reviews, you commented on a knife being on the floor at Cobblers Cove’s Restaurant for an inordinate amount of time. If that would cause you to rate a fine restaurant four stars instead of five, then so be it. As for the Atlantis, we are not perfect, nor do we profess to be. We strive to offer clean, comfortable and safe accommodation to all our guests and to ensure they get as much out of their holidays as possible. If we have failed you in that respect, please accept our sincerest apologies. The reality is, no place is perfect and I'm guessing that’s why of your 71 reviews to date, only 9 have five stars attached to them.

Best Regards

Been to The Atlantis Hotel? Share your experiences!