“New management has hotel in good condition again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Coquito

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Matapalo
El Coquito
You added El Coquito to your Saves list
Playa Matapalo 2787-5031, Costa Rica   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“New management has hotel in good condition again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My favorite beach in Costa Rica only has a few options to stay. It is nice to see that the Hotel el Coquito is back up and running again with good managment. I was there last year for a few days and the place needed some work. They repaired quite a bit and now this sleeping, quaint simple hotel has its charm back. I prefer this beach as it is so quiet without the tourism hectic. El Coquito is the only real hotel on the entire beach with a pool and restaurant. Glad to see it is back and running! Good work. Oh, and the cook at the restaurant is terrific! Best ceviche I ever had . . . They also have a new number to book which makes it much easier to call. 855-765-9642

Room Tip: There are only 8 rooms and they are all the same, but right on the beach! The sound of waves put me...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was a great place! We stayed in a room by the pool and bar area with the view of the ocean. There were monkeys and toucans outside our window! Great people there, too! :) Room was clean and comfortable! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here while volunteering at the ASVO Turtle Conservatory across the street. Amazing location - the beach doesn't get any better. Playa Matapalo lacks the tourism-centric hustle and bustle that characterizes much of the Costa Rican coast, so prepare for an extremely calm and relaxing stay! The rooms have very basic amenities, but you can't beat the view. Management is extremely helpful and accommodating - a young couple is currently taking care of the place and with them in charge, El Coquito is only set to get better and better with each passing week. I would definitely recommend the place to any young travelers willing to forgo luxury for a unique and memorable experience! I cant wait to go back. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

El Coquito is so beautiful and comes with everything I love in a vacation spot. There are plenty of ways to have fun, tan, and relax. It is not touristy but more like a private paradise escape! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed for 4 days, Amazing beach, nice people clean place. Perfect for couple getaway Or Crazy Bachelor Party the place has it all! Bar, Food, Pool, Beach, even a big beach house! Awesome trip!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
La Herradura, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Again the manager has changed, this time I see it will get better. Its such a nice spot directly at the beach. And Enrique just decided to reduce the price for the bungalows. So now its a real hot spot. The food is good too. So go and have fun.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Evergreen, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

We stayed at El Coquito last week and I was very disappointed!
#1 The A/C did not work. I reserved an air conditioned beach bungalow for four people. Enrique took us to our room and did not know how to turn on the air conditioner. He finally got it to work but the temperature was not adjustable. It was set on 26 degrees Celsius and kicked off without cooling off the room. We complained and both Enrique and Greg Anderson both were already aware that the air conditioner was not working properly. I insisted that it was fixed or for the price to be reduced to the non-A/C room price. We left and by the time we were back, the A/C had been adjusted to 24 degrees Celsius, but still not adjustable.

#2 The rooms were VERY dirty! It looked like the bathroom had not been cleaned in weeks. The shower was full of spiderwebs and spiders! The floors were dirty. The towels were dirty. I had a HUGE cockroach crawl out of the corner by my luggage and up my arm! When I asked Greg Anderson for two additional towels (since our room only had 2 and we had 4 people), it took him several minutes to find them and he had to reassure me that they were clean. (The towels had stains all over them.)

#3 The staff was horrible. Enrique said that there was new management within the past two weeks. I'm not sure if he meant just for the restaurant or if he meant for the bungalows too. Enrique knew nothing about the area when we asked him on recommendations on things to do or places to eat. When we asked him if we could get the number to call a taxi to take to Dominical, he told us it would cost $100 (10 minute drive to Dominical). He said that taxis would not come to Matapalo to take us to Dominical but that the guy that lived on the corner takes people for $100. When we finally insisted to call a taxi, he called them himself and said that they were unavailable. (We saw several taxis in Dominical so I don't know if I believe him.)

#4 The restaurant was always closed. Enrique told us to eat at the restaurant, but every time we tried to, it was closed. The first night was understandable because we didn't make it to dinner until the kitchen had closed. We asked to see a menu to see if we would be interested and Enrique told us that there was no menu yet since the new management. We decided to try it the following day for lunch and Enrique told a lady to tell us that the cook was sick so the restaurant was closed that day. We drove to Dominical to find some food and when we returned that evening, the restaurant had opened. The staff was just very unprofessional and not helpful at all.

#5 The beds were noisy and uncomfortable. They are made out of wicker-type material and are VERY noisy every time someone moves or rolls over in the bed.

The only positive things I have to say about El Coquito is that the location was nice. It's in a relatively secluded area with a beautiful beach. It's not the best place to swim though. The staff was helpful enough to open our bottle of wine since we did not have an opener and gave us a couple cups of ice for our drinks. There are MUCH nicer places to stay for the same price on the outskirts of Dominical with better staff. I would have rather stayed in a hostel in Dominical than stay at El Coquito! Live and learn, I guess.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to El Coquito? Share your experiences!