“Very poor” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We are regulars at Clark and Sons and although the food isn't amazing it has always been decent enough. However today was very different, the whole experience was very poor? The food was of a very low quality (burnt fish cakes and dry terrine) and portion size was tiny! Although we were the only table in the restaurant they took so long to clear our plates and serve our courses. The menu itself wasn't great - it's definitely changed since the last time we were in. We complained about the portion size to the waitress and she said she'd inform the kitchen but we didn't hear anything back. To top it all off, the place was freezing! We were sitting with our jackets on. The whole place felt different - like there were new owners. So disappointing! And it's not that cheap - definitely not worth the money. We'll give it one more chance but if it's anything like today again then we won't be back - we can cook better food ourselves.

Visited November 2013

“Not good at all...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is our local restaurant and we have been coming here on and off since it opened from the Rascasse a few years ago. We have had no real issue here and had always had a reasonable meal and service - and it's good to have the place in Clarkston.

We came here Wednesday, after work without the children and ate in the reataurant. We selected to 2 starters and mains from the pre-theatre menu - (£9.95 for the 2 dishes, so £20 for food which is ideal). We both had the crab cakes as a starter, followed by the steak burger for me and the pasta with tuscan sauage for my wife. I had 2 beers and my wife had a small glass of wine.

The menu has changed - which was nice to see. However, the crab cakes were not really as expected - and were a 'mush' rather than a cake. The burger I had was acceptable, but the main reason I thought I would write a review was how the manager handled my wife's meal.
My wife couldn't eat her pasta as it was just too salty. She declined a change of dish / desert as she simply wasn't hungry after trying her main.

We asked for the bill and expected the bill to be adjusted accordingly for not eating the main. Up until this point we had been served by a new member of staff - who actually was very good and apologetic.

The manageress, who has worked here since opening, dropped off the bill this time, she had a message from the chef: 'Chef says the pasta is unsalted and the sauce from the sausage can be salty - I've taken off the cost of the 2 starters' and left. No sorry, no nothing - terrible - needs retraining!

The next problem was the bill, the starters were indeed taken off but we were being charged for the cost of 2 main courses outside the pre-theatre menu and because of this the total exeeded the original £9.95 menu. We pointed this out to the new member of staff who had been serving us as the manager had dissappeared - he returned with 20% off the total bill - which still wasn't right!

By this time, we had had enough, paid and left.

Food poor. Manageress - terrible! Needs retraining! (So does chef!).

The only positive was the newly joined member of staff. Well done - you outclassed your manager.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Birthday party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was part of a birthday party for one of my friends. We all had different starters and main courses and the food was delicious. Service was very quick and efficient. As we had a birthday cake to eat, the staff were more than pleased to serve it and gave us a plate of icecream with cookies and chocolate pieces to add to our cake. The Birthday Girl (50 years young) had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the fuss made of her, thanks to the staff. This is the second visit we made to the restaurant and will be back again. Another friend, when I told her we were going to Clark & Sons, told me that she and her friends are regular visitors and every time she visits the food is always delicious.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Weird combinations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was at Clark and Sons recently for dinner . I've been in for drinks but not eaten in a while. I was pretty disappointed with my meal but venue and atmosphere was good. To start I had scallops. This came with cauliflower puree which was nice, a couple of bits of pakora and an enormous dollop of mashed potato!!! This clearly doesn't go together. I had the pulled pork which was hard in bits, the sweet potato wedges were nice. The blue cheese slaw sickly and it was in a massive pool of mixed beans. My friends pasta was very oily. This restaurant loses customers because the food is trying to be something its not. Clarkston doesn't have any other bar restaurants so it should be jam packed every night. My parents had lunch last week with American friends and thought it was poor. I'd like the food improved so that we don't think of anywhere else to go. The venue is lovely and the staff are attentive and friendly. Pull your socks up with the food please!

glasgow
“£10...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

There has been a time lapse of about 2 years since I was at Clark & Sons. Back then I went on a deal through Groupon I thought and it was ok. Wow how the food and service has change. This time my family and I went as part of a group celebrating a birthday. The food was fantastic and the service was great. The atmosphere in the place was great, the bar was busy and the main restaurant was nearly full to capacity. Even though the restaurant was busy the service was still good and the food was lovely. Try the battered fish, great. What really got me was the pre-theatre deal,£10 for 2 courses, what a bargain. I have been to quite a few Bar/Restaurants in the area and Clark & Sons is one I will be going back to. Flemings is like McDonalds compared to this place.

• Visited October 2013