“Lovely, luxury hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edinburgh
“Lovely, luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

We love this hotel. It has a very luxurious feel to it - despite some reviewer's criticism of the decor. We have stayed here 3 tmes now and will go certainly go back again. The rooms are nicely appointed - we have stayed in 3 different ones now! There are lovely small touches - such as proper filter coffee in the rooms and luxury soaps/shampoo and even dog biscuits for the dog! I agree the carpet in the hall upstairs could do with replacing at some point but it is certainly not 'disgusting' as one reviewer said. The rooms are very well kept and clean.

The food in the restaurant is good and breakfast is fantastic! Delicious fruit salad and hot breakfast. Definitely a place to go if you are a dog owner and are looking for a luxury retreat where your dog can be included.

adam17, Owner at Trigony House Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for your review, it is always lovely to welcome regular visitors back to Trigony, & it is great when people comment on the small touches that we hope make our guests stay just that little bit more special. We also note that the upstairs hall carpet is past its prime but have a new one ordered which hopefully you will approve of next time you visit, but thank you for your comments. Many thanks from all of us at Trigony.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Very welcoming & pleasant stay, my room was very spacious with nice view.
Food is fantastic with good choice.
Room cost was a little more expensive than others but the welcome and homely feel made it all worth it.
Would definately stay here again.
Rob Hall

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Rob Hall,
Many thanks for the positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed the stay and loved the food but take on board what you say about the room pricing. We do our best to make sure that we give value for money and are glad that you found it so during your stay. Many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back.
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this special hotel nestled below the Lowther Hills.The bedroom was well appointed with an extremely comfortable bed.The view over the garden was really splendid.There was a swallow nesting and the yound had just fledged and they were sat on the window sill being fed by the parent birds.
The breakfast and Dinner was of a very high quality and the service attentive and we also had a local friend join us one evening. Both the breakfast and dinner menus had plenty of choice and the wine list was comprehensive.
I would recommend this hotel to friends and already have done so.
We will definitely be staying again.
We would also recommend the Landrover Safari, which was very enjoyable indeed.

Room Tip: Dog friendly.
adam17, Owner at Trigony House Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you so much for the positive review, we are delighted that you enjoyed the local wildlife - we also feel that the nesting birds are a real privilige to have in our grounds and am glad that they brought you pleasure too. We were also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the landrover safari it really is a great way to explore the local countryside. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
shropshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

The hotel is well located but the decor and furnishings left me stunned, I'd have thrown them out of our house years ago. The furniture in the lounge must have come from a junk shop. I do not expect to live in such conditions at the price charged. The landing carpet can only be described as disgustingly filthy words fail me. The bedroom had lights which didn't work and a broken light over the hand wash basin. On the positive, the food was very good, breakfast was top class. The owners of this hotel need to take a critical look at what they are offering and tidy the place up. Definately not recommended go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
adam17, Owner at Trigony House Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
I am really very genuinely sorry that you so strongly disliked the decor of our hotel. I fully accept that the upstairs hall carpet has seen better days although I wouldn't class it as, 'disgustingly filthy' as I know it is hoovered daily and deep cleaned once a month and hopefully you will be comforted to hear that it is in the process of being replaced. I am also genuinely disapointed that you had the misfortune to experience a bulb that needed replacing although none of our bathroom light fittings have been broken recently so I'm not sure what this refers to. I fully recognise that our housekeepers should have noticed these faults first, however I trust that they would be rectified as soon as they were brought to our attention.
We are constantly reviewing our performance and striving to improve what we offer and although this review is unpleasant for us to read please be assured that I will be keeping this criticism in mind whilst going about the daily business of the hotel.
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Ive stayed here for my fourth time and it has never disappointed. My wife was away in Russia so I took the opportunity to take the single room for me and my dog. The single room is very good value. It is small but liveable. it is spotlessly clean and quite unique. Its probably the fluffiest bed I have ever slept on.

The peace and quiet of this hotel has to be experienced to be believed. I had the window open and the smells and sounds of a spring woodland permeated the room. The Dawn chorus can be quite loud, but thats a glorious sound to hear.

I am inseparable from my dog, and as many have said, this hotel welcomes dogs. Im surprised that many other hotels in rural districts havent understood that having a big pile of old towels available to dry the dogs is the key to being dog friendly.

incidentally the large porch area is covered, so it is ideal for a wet dog and its equally wet owner to get the boots and coats off and dry themselves. What is more, the hotel staff understand that this is routine and dont consider their guests who have walked all day on the hills and got in a filthy state to be a hinderance. In fact it is very welcoming.

The food is exceptional. The menu is good by any standards but this is a very friendly hotel and the hotel owners and staff arent faceless, they enjoy and react to the guests in a very welcoming manner. This is a hotel which you dont just visit, you become part of it for a while. Im a vegetarian and just by talking to the staff in general about good food they came up with suggestions for an evening meal which was essentially created for me. I took a long walk that afternoon with the dog, and just knowing that the food would be ready when I wished, gave my stay there a new dimension. When the food arrived, it was superb to a standard which is as good as any restaurant I have been to and that includes Mr Ramsays restaurants. The atmosphere in the dining room is informal but it was full of interesting and talkative people, which made the whole evening into something memorable. This has happened on every stay at this hotel. The wine list is small but very well thought out. I was a little disappointed to find that previous guests had drunk the entire stock of Port. The breakfast is superb, and a fine start to a hard days walking.

Whilst I am a fan of this hotel, and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from visiting, it is fair to say that I have not visited the hotel with my wife as the price structure is per person and not per room. I have no doubt that the rooms for couples are superb but the cost becomes eyewateringly expensive for two. Everything has its price but for two people it is on the excessive side. I would beat a path to their door if they price structure was per room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
adam17, Owner at Trigony House Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
We are very glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us, & it is lovely to have another regular customer writeing of their experiences with us. One thing I would mention as there does seem to be a wee bit of confusion, is that we don't charge per person for any of the rooms we only ever charge a per room price with a slight discount for single occupancy.
The local walks really are wonderfull & various in their diversity (being quite close to the coast & on the edge of the southern uplands) & the countryside of Dumfriesshire is well worth exporing. Thank you for the very kind comments about our cuisine as well, this year we won the scottish hotel gold award for good local food so it is lovely to have good feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Trigony in the near future.
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My wife and I, and our 2 dogs stopped over for one night on the way to the north of Scotland. The hotel was excellent value for money, the room was very comfortable and the meals were superb. The staff were friendly and efficient, and everywhere was clean and tidy.
Past experience of "pet friendly" hotels has not been great, but here it was obvious that dogs are really welcome.
Our friends stayed in the Garden Room and would recommend this as it has a separate sitting room, which means your pet doesn't have to sleep in the bedroom.
We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: See above reference the Garden Room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Stayed one night. Staff and food excellent. Garden is very nice and setting is great. Would like to go back and stay a lot longer next time. I took a walk to the local graveyard. Lots of history. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Trigony House Hotel? Share your experiences!