“Superb lunch” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Superb lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Went twice in Feburary to dine in the restaurant which is open to public. Extremely high quality of food served. Very friendly, genuine and professional service from the restaurant staff. Very pleased and will be back. Will upload the photos shortly (sorry they are still stored in my mobile).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of the Mary Beale Restaurant at West Lodge Park.

I am so glad we looked after you not once but twice in February.

Thank you too for mentioning the team who are the backbone of the restaurant, headed up by Restaurant Manager Matthew Croxford and Deputy Restaurant Manager Peter Brassington.

Do come again next time you are up this way from Bournemouth, it will be a pleasure to see you !

Beales Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

we got a fantastic deal to stay here from superbreak.com for the night of the FA cup final, approaching the hotel we were very impressed with the extensive grounds and gardens, on check in we were upgraded to a suite, room was fantastic with everything we needed and more, room was spotless clean with a very comfy bed, and a superb bathroom, the included breakfast was as good as i have had anywhere and consisted of just about every breakfast item you can think of, although if its not included in your room tariff it will cost you a hefty £30 a head, its an easy £5 taxi ride to the closest tube station, cockfosters, or jump on the 298 bus which passes by regularly and swipe your oyster card, i would certainly stay here again, but it is not really that convenient for Wembley and takes around an hour to travel via tube, hence, i have booked somewhere a little closer for the Community Shield, i suppose if i wanted a romantic break away, this hotel would be top of the list.

Room Tip: any room would suit me here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about West Lodge Park for your visit to the FA Cup.

I hope the result was what you wanted although looking at your Manchester address I think not - well at least Wigan got something out of the season.

However I am glad we did our bit to make it a successful weekend.

We get quite a number of Wembley visitors to us, but it is quite fair to say that Wembley from West Lodge Park by public transport is, as you say, about an hour's trip, whereas by car it would be half that or less, either along the M25 and down the M1 or through Southgate and along the North Circular. (the M1 is the better of these two options in my opinion).

Do come again next time your team make it to a Wembley final !

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Have stayed here on numerous occasions, but unusually stayed two nights this time.

Arrival was uneventful and check in average, although I did change rooms because (a) the safe in my first room was locked and (b) I am not sure it qualified as an executive room. My second room was little different although the safe was open and it was slightly more away from the car park.

My general experience is that most rooms are absolutely fine - many have separate walk-in wardrobes and all are perfectly adequate. I wouldn't bother about executive rooms if you can avoid them.

On the first night of my stay I ate in the bar. The food was fine although the service left a little to be desired. Having finished both food and drink, I was left alone for almost half an hour before I gave up and went to the bar to sign. I didn't get salt or pepper, and my plate was offered to two other tables before the waiter worked out it was meant for me. Pretty poor, to be honest.

For the second night I ate in the restaurant. Don't forget to make a booking as the restaurant gets busy. Food was excellent, wines good and service good. My only criticism of the whole event would be the maitre d (the one with white glasses) who managed to ignore me completely both on arrival and again when I left. My advice to this man would be - if you don't like customer service, get out of the industry.

All in all, though, I do like this hotel. If you're in the area and not sure then I'd say give it a try.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of West Lodge Park after many visits to us, and for the 5/5 rating you have awarded us.

I would observe that the executive and luxury rooms at the hotel are superb for couples to celebrate a special occasion or weekend away. Perhaps you have normally traveled solo on business in which case our classic bedrooms are perfectly suited to your needs.

I am sorry that you haven't always had the warmest of welcomes at the desk, nor attentive service in the bar.

I thought your criticism of Peter Brassington, our respected deputy restaurant manager in the Mary Beale Restaurant, was a bit personal and harsh.

But I accept your right to say what you think - I hope that every aspect of your stay next time will be successful, and I am glad that overall you approve of out hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My family and I met up with friends at the hotel. Due to living in different parts of the UK we only manage to get together once a year. We had a lovely lunch in the restaurant, were really pleased with our meal and found the atmosphere very relaxing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park and the Mary Beale Restaurant.

I am glad we looked after you so well for your reunion meal, and that we did our bit to make your time with your friends so successful.

Do come again, whether in a year's time, or, with luck, a little sooner !

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when entering the hotel last weekend for my weekend break in London with a friend. The staff were all so welcoming and made us feel right at home. The first thing i noticed was the cleanliness as soon as we entered the front lounge area. The decor was lovely and created a warm tranquil atmosphere. We didnt have dinner in the restaurant, however we sat in the bar area for a few drinks which again was a great atmosphere and the cocktails were excellent! Breakfast in the morning was delightful, a full english buffet which was very tasty and everything cooked to perfection!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park.

I am glad that your weekend break was successful, and I am particularly delighted that you noticed how clean everything was.

Our housekeeping team headed up by Yioda Joannou and Dawn Brumwell really do work incredibly hard to keep the hotel looking shiny, clean and polished.

I always think that housekeeping in a hotel is the most unsung department, and that they never get the recognition that they deserve.

Do come again next time you are down from Cambridge, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back again !

Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

On Sunday 5 May 2013 my husband and I attended a function at this Hotel. It states on the website it is in Barnet but in fact it is off the Cockfosters Road nr Hadley Wood, which I suppose is not far from Barnet, but very near the M25/A1. It is very nicely appointed and although we did not stay there or eat in the restaurant we were impressed. You come in to a sprawling estate of green lawns and when you get round the bend the Hotel looks magnificent in front of you. As we were attending a function (and there were 4 functions on that day) the carpark was full. There were disabled parking spaces but every space was taken, so my husband dropped me outside and went to park in an overflow car park opposite the Hotel. On entering the Hotel it all looks very welcoming and the function we were attending was in a Marquee which we approached through a bar area, then down a carpeted slope. The Marquee was huge and well laid out inside. I used the ladies loo and it was easy to locate, obviously within the main body of the Hotel. Very clean. The food we had was delicious. I don't know if it was a special menu for that day but it was very tasty. We had Asparagus Soup with creme fraiche and on top there was one spear with smoked salmon wrapped round. A bit unusual to see in the soup and awkward to cut, you could not with the spoon (I used my knife) but it was delicious. There was lovely bread, a few different types and butter too. The next course was Hake with a herb crust, served with carrots and new potatoes with some sort of sauce over. Also very delicious. The dessert was a lemon flan with orange sorbet on top and on the plate was a raspberry coulis. The serving staff were very friendly, obviously a lot of them as it was a function. I forgot to mention at the beginning of the evening there was a champagne reception with a good variety of canapés, to suit all tastes. Meat and/or vegetarian. Also I has a non-alcoholic punch which was extremely refreshing. We finished our meal with coffee/tea and petit fours. I will definitely try this Hotel for lunch and/or tea one day and let you know what I thought about it.
O

Room Tip: We did not stay there but friends did and said the rooms were really welcoming and cosy.
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
What a lovely review following your marquee function at the weekend at West Lodge Park.

I am so glad that everything went well for the party, in particular that the weather was kind for you all.

It was a pleasure to host the event at the hotel, and a marquee function of any kind at West Lodge Park always looks glorious.

Do come again at a quieter time maybe for a meal or an overnight stay.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I found myself booked into the West Lodge Park on a business trip recently, and was very pleasantly surprised when I pulled up after a long day. Unlike most hotels in this part of the world, West Lodge Park is not just another carbon copy concrete block, but is a lovely old country house, set at the end of a lovely avenue of trees amidst rolling lawns.

The lobby welcomed me with a roaring log fire, and my room was compact but elegant, with a clean and modern bathroom, comfortable bed, and handy 'dressing room' containing an iron, ironing board and tea and coffee making facilities.

The breakfast was also excellent, with waiter service and manned buffet demonstrating the 'old fashioned values' that seem to permeate this hotel.

Overall I would recommend it as a comfortable place to spend a night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park.

I am pleased that we looked after you so well on your business trip to this area.

I am particularly delighted that you observed the difference between us and the characterless blocks of the chain hotels.

My grandfather purchased West Lodge Park in 1945 and over three generations here we have made the hotel into a special place, so different from the run of mill hotels around.

I pay tribute most of all to the wonderful staff here who look after our guests so well day in day out.

Do come again next time you are down south, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back !

Kind regards,

Beales Hotels

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!