“Consistently Good” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glos
“Consistently Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I've stayed at West Lodge Park on a number of occasions over the last 12 months on business and have been impressed on each visit.

The rooms that I have stayed in have always been of a good standard, large, well appointed with plenty of space and very comfortable. The food in the restaurant is excellent as many previous reviewers have already stated and the service is always friendly, courteous and efficient. The free wifi is an added bonus and I've always found it to be quick and reliable. The hotel is close to good transport links and is easily accessible from the M25 and Cockfosters tube station.

Overall an excellent hotel where service comes first - if you are looking to stay in this area then look no further!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel following several visits to West Lodge Park over the past year.

I am particularly pleased that our service and food has been consistent for you over this period - I find consistency in hotels a very hard thing to achieve as it is a seven day a week business that never closes, and is thus dependent on hard working staff on shifts - and thus some variation in service is to be expected depending on who is on and who is off.

A hotel is very similar in this respect to a hospital and we all know how wildly variable they can be !

Do come again soon and thank you for taking the time to write your comments for the benefit of other Tripadvisor readers.

Kindest regards,

Beales Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Stayed here for a night excellent all round service. Breakfast was amazing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about the service and the breakfast at West Lodge Park.

We take pains to ensure that the full english breakfast is as good as it can be with quality local sausages from Waltham Abbey, free range eggs from Royston, and yoghurts from Chalfont St Peter.

Come again soon, I am so glad we looked after you well.

Kind regards,

Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I didn't stay at this hotel, but rather, went for lunch and was given a tour by the MD, Andrew. I ate in the bar area adjacent to the Mary Beale restaurant, which filled out as the lunch hour progressed. The food was fantastic, comprising of fresh local ingredients put together to order. I had a beef sandwich, which was succulent and tasty.

The tour of the hotel was insightful. There is a rolling refurbishment programme, which means that the rooms (at least those I saw) are in a good state of repair and each has its own individual decor. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and it is obvious that the management takes a long term view when it comes to preserving and improving the building.

I spoke with various members of staff and they all enjoy working at the hotel and take pride in its success. Other diners and guests had equally impressive comments to make. I happened upon this hotel by chance but am now looking forward to staying there with my wife before too long. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind comments following an all too brief visit to the hotel.

It was a pleasure to show you round West Lodge Park, which is a bit of a maze of bedroom corridors upstairs, but I am pleased that you could make the time for a tour.

It would indeed be a pleasure to welcome the two of you for an overnight visit - do come when the weather cheers up a bit and you can enjoy the gardens at their best !

Sheffield, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We have just had the most wonderful stay at West Lodge Park, a weekend of peace, tranquility and pure enjoyment. Thanks to everyone who works there, who helped made it perfect.

I booked direct with the hotel, as they had such a good deal for Dinner Bed and Breakfast for the weekend. The highlight of booking was the ability to see each room on the hotel website, as the rooms are all individual. The pictures, however. do not do the rooms justice. The room I chose (room 70) was very spacious, well laid out and had three times the number of windows in the photograph shown, it was a beautifully lit room.

Our arrival up a long private drive was lovely, we could see the hotel coming into view and it did not disappoint. The reception staff were curteous and most helpful. They got someone to carry our bags to our room, and they showed us how to open/lock the door (just the fact that the hotel had real keys - albeit nothing like our front door key was a novelty to us!). The facilities were just as described. A 6ft bed with feather duvet and cotton sheets, loads of tea/coffee/bisuits/water/coke. The bathroom was quite small, but adequate (after all how long do you spend in a hotel bathroom), and the only small improvement I could see here was perhaps an area to put our washbags on. Lovely toiletries and fluffy towels/bathrobes. Our room was in a separate building around the back of the hotel, the room was quiet and had great blackout linings, and a wonderful view of the grounds. I liked the dark wood in this room, it suited the room perfectly.

We had dinner both evenings, and it was just so blissful, so tasty, so beautifully presented. From the time we went in the bar, we were treat like the only diners, service was flawless and well co-ordinasted, and the food - well this was divine, I asked our waitress to thank the chef's they just did such a wonderful, wonderful job of ensuring a very pleasurable meal. The fixed price menu was the same on both nights, but I found different things to eat on both nights, not a problem. You could also transfer the allowance for dinner onto the a la carte, so the hotel was very flexible in their approach.

We went around the grounds, and even in winter there were some fine tree specimens, and flowers coming into bud. I would love to come back as spring brings the magnolias into bloom, and also use the wellingtons provided by the hotel to ensure shoes don't get dirty.

I forgot to give the feedback form to the reception, but I am hoping Mr Beale will feedback to them what a wonderful job they did to ensure my stay was a relaxing one. I thought the staff appeared to be very happy to work there, and were trained to the highest standards.

This was my first time at the hotel, but it won't be the last, I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Look on the website to book your ideal room. Room 70 is great, but you have to remember this room...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a detailed review of your stay at West Lodge Park.

I am delighted that we looked after you so well !

Your room 70 was my Grandparent's bedroom from 1945 to 1986, and although much modified now, still retains great character and lovely views across the gardens.

My grandfather bought the lease to the hotel just before the end of WWII and we have just purchased the freehold some 67 years later !

All 59 bedrooms at West Lodge Park are very different as you would expect in an old house, and so we have taken care to photograph them all, so that you can pick your style in advance.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel - do come again soon when the 35 acres of trees and gardens will be starting to bloom again !

Kind regards,

Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We hosted our wedding reception here 20 years ago and returned on Valentine's night for an Anniversary stay. We had a problem with the heating in our room, the Hotel's response was superb! Things go wrong, that can't be helped of course, BUT it is how they are dealt with that matters. We had a lovely meal and overnight stay. As a retiired 52 year old who travels widely, I thoroughly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments following your Valentines night stay at West Lodge Park, and welcome back after 20 years since your wedding at the hotel !

So very sorry that an actuator valve in the boiler house (no, me neither !) failed causing your room to be cold on the night.

However I am glad that apart from that you had a good stay, and it will be great to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

The biggest thank you is for allowing us to put things right before committing to a Tripadvisor review, a fundamentally decent and courteous approach which I welcome in the relationship between hotel guests and hoteliers everywhere.

Walkington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

My friend and I recently stayed at West Lodge Park. I would thoroughly recommend it from the champagne breakfasts to the afternoon teas and dinners. The staff are very helpful and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble for them. Everything done with a smile. The grounds are just lovely to walk around even when its very cold outside with the knowledge that when you step back inside the hotel it will be very cosy and inviting. Will definately recommend it and return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel and the staff.

The weather has been very cold and a second snowfall has left the arboretum at West Lodge Park looking exquisitely beautiful if a trifle inaccessible without wellies ! (which we provide for our guests ....)

I am pleased to report that all our driveways and car parks are clear, and that a warm welcome awaits all our guests as usual during this winter period.

Thank you for taking the time to report to Tripadvisor following your stay at the hotel, and come back again when the weather warms up a little !

With kind regards,

Amersham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My wife and I celebrated her birthday and a recovery from a major operation by having a weekend stay. I had been to see the arboretum with The Royal Forestry Society and had been impressed by the well kept grounds years before. The staff were so helpful and welcoming when we booked by phone and then when we arrived. The food in the Mary Beale restaurant was true Masterchef. Full of flavor and beautifully presented. After three courses I had to take a walk before going to bed. Amazed how quiet the country side and grounds were despite being within the M25 and only 14 miles from the center of London.
The kipper I had for breakfast was so succulent. My wife does not like cooking them at home, so it was a treat.
The whole week end was tremendous value, not least being able to enjoy the walk around the trees.

Room Tip: Go for the best.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind review following your visit to West Lodge Park Hotel.

I am so glad that, as someone interested in trees and a member of the Royal Forestry Society, you were able to enjoy the grounds even in the depths of winter.

We have been so busy during this winter period planting dozens of young trees in the Beale Arboretum, and tending to the maturer trees through the recent gales.

We have also been busy working on our collection of Taxodium Distichum in preparation for an application for national collection status, to join our collection of Carpinus Betulus as an official National collection.

I am glad too that as well as the lovely trees, you found the staff and the food to be well up to scratch.

Do come again when the weather warms up, and feel free to ask for me if you would like another tour around the arboretum.

Beales Hotels

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!