“An Elegant and Sophisticated Retreat - Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnet
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“An Elegant and Sophisticated Retreat - Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Set in beautiful gardens, West Lodge Park is a wonderful place to stay for a quiet retreat. The rooms are spotlessly and tastefully furnished. The restaurant food is superb, a wonderful dining experience. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
andrew19, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments about this wonderful hotel which has been in my family for over 66 years !

I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed your dinner so much - we have taken a lot of time to get our menus right, with many small local suppliers involved and a wide variety of dishes at all price ranges, from burgers to fillet steaks, via curries, salads and omelettes.

We have found in recent years that fewer guests want a full three course meal but instead want informal food at a time and place that suits them.

Do come again some time to this lovely hotel. It would be a pleasure to see you.

Andrew

Beales Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
shropshire england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

don't normally write reviews but had to say what a lovely hotel this is. beautiful gardens, lovely building, friendly staff. stayed in a standard (classic) double bedroom in the main building - reasonable size room well kitted out to a high standard. had an evening meal there - not cheap but well worth it. the bar and restaurant staff couldn't have been more helpful and the chef coped incredibly well with my dietary requirements - top marks all round. am well travelled and this is one of the best hotels i've stayed in. hope to return soon.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
andrew19, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments about West Lodge Park and about the team at the hotel.

I am naturally delighted on behalf of all 120 staff at the hotel that we were able to look after you to the best of our ability.

In particular I was pleased that we were able to accomodate your dietary requirements. The joy of a family run independent hotel is that the team are more flexible and don't do everything according to some rigid brand manual and can therefore be accomodating of individual requests.

Do come again - it would be great to welcome you back to this lovely hotel.

New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I have never written a review before,and I am writing this one after a year. But my poor experience at this hotel left a mark that still rankles, as I realized as I was booking for my usual summer vacation in the U.K. May I say that I have travelled widely, stayed at many of the best hotels of the world in all continents, including those in U.K., both on work and leisure (both my husband and I are attorneys). We chose this place because we were on a loose end for a day and the trip advisor reviews were really nice.

To begin with, I must state that the grounds and the arboretum are absolutely gorgeous. The greenery really made amends for all else. The manor house itself was stately. Unfortunately, it became apparent from the word go that the staff was not going to be either friendly or polite. The receptionist was rude, gave an impression that he would rather we weren't there and made us wait indefinitely for no apparent reason. Nobody helped us with our bags, till one staff member grudgingly helped out my 8year old son with his bag to the room. We had been given the last room in the annexe right at the back.

The room was clean, but the bathroom could have done with a scrub. The space in the room was small.but that one can live with. Our woes were not over. In the evening, when we went out to the deck restaurant/patio to get some coffee and hot cocoa for the kid (we are teetotalers) the waiter made rude jokes about how we werent ordering beers or alcohol like the others. They didn't come to give us the check,so my husband went inside to pay.he was asked that had he had a few champagnes and a beer? When my husband said not, the waiter claimed it was a joke. Naturally, we elected to eat dinner out given the experience,though restaurants weren't exactly very close by. But the walk through the arboretum had us smiling again.
Breakfast was alright, though not one member of the staff was either welcoming or eager to serve. Infect, the only time any member of the staff smiled was when we gave a nice tip to the man who had helped carry my son's bag.
I guess we are used to better service and better staff at the hotels we visit, and even today I would not have written this piece, ESP given the surfeit of good reviews. But as I booked my holiday, the recollection came back, and when I read the tone in which the MD has replied to an adverse comment by another overseas guest, I felt that perhaps this needs to be written.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
andrew19, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you for your comments about West Lodge Park Hotel and for taking the trouble to write a review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the beautiful grounds around the hotel.

On the other hand I am naturally disappointed with your experience of the service levels at the hotel, and if we have done anything wrong or have spoiled your stay in any way, then I am natually deeply apologetic and sorry that your experience was not up to standard.

I cannot comment on the individual members of staff concerned but when my team read your review we simply did not recognise ourselves as described.

And it was a year since your visit to the hotel.

However I respect your right to review the hotel after your stay, and take on board your criticisms.

We would still love to welcome you to this lovely hotel and feel sure that you would enjoy your second visit far more.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

We booked a "country retreat" package for a little R&R. Included afternoon tea, dinner with wine, overnight and EB. Had been for afternoon tea at the hotel before and liked the look of it then, so decided to go back. Lovely staff, wonderful food, very nice, comfortable room. We stayed at the top of the house, and it was very secluded and quiet. All in all a very good deal. Only criticism I have is that we had to wait a little while to be served twice (at afternoon tea and dinner), but when we were, the staff were lovely. At dinner we were given a set menu and a a la carte menu but not told what we could/couldn't have on the CR package. Bit of embarrassment when we had chosen off the wrong menu, and made us feel a little uncomfortable, but soon sorted.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
andrew19, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you for your kind and constructive comments about West Lodge Park.

I am glad your stay at the hotel was in the main a good one but have taken on board the comments about making sure that our restaurant team understand what menu to give to our guests on a Country House weekend break package.

It is only through helpful comments of this nature that we can continually improve what we have been doing for the past 66 years no less !!

Do come again to the hotel - it would be a pleasure to welcome you !

Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Wonderful room and nice meal. Beautiful building in parkland.
Service was very attentive and food good. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments about this super hotel.

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to West Lodge Park any time.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Great hotel with attentive staff. Very quiet location.

Stayed in an executive room - it was large and had ironing board, kettle etc. Decor was country style, not to my taste but the room was very clean. Free WiFi.

Bar and restaurant has a nice blend of modern decor with some old paintings on the walls that makes for a very relaxing space.

Breakfast is cheaper if you prebook online.

Good location if you visiting or doing business in North London. Nearby Cockfosters and Southgate, Palmers Green etc have a good range of restaurants.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review about this hotel.

Do come again, and if you have time ask for me and I will give you a guided tour of the "old paintings on the walls" in the restaurant as you call them - they are in fact by Mary Beale my ancestor, who was Britain's first professional woman artist and thus a real feminist icon, admired by no less than Germaine Greer and Tracey Emin !

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to this lovely hotel which has been part of our familty for 66 years and still going strong.

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

I stayed at the West Lodge Park Hotel last week for 2 nights. The hotel was excellent. The rooms were very comforable with nothing missing or out of place. The staff were also really good, especially in the restaurant. The location is good, but it is a fair walk down to Cockfosters tube station if you want to be drinking in London and not get a taxi. If I really strained to pick fault, the heating was on too high in my room, but this was easily remedied by me.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
andrew19, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Thank you Mr Wall for your kind comments about West Lodge Park.

We don't really recommend the walk to Cockfosters Tube Station from the hotel and say so on our website as it is a bit of a trek along a main road.

Far better if you can to get a quick 3 minute taxi to the tube station, and the taxi office inside the station is open until the last train if you are coming out from central London.

Instead of walking along a main road, I recommend a lovely walk through the glorious 35 acres of grounds surrounding the hotel, along mown paths among the 800 species of trees in the Beale Arboretum.

The hotel grounds lead directly into the Enfield Chase with another 1100 acres of unspoilt countryside to enjoy on public footpaths.

We look forward to welcoming you back to West Lodge Park soon.

Kind regards to you and to all our Tripadvisor readers.

Managing Director

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!