“Pretty nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen
“Pretty nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Recently spent a week in Kuredu. We had actually booked something in Makunudu (North Male atoll) but at the very last moment (Friday 3pm for a leave the next monday) the travel agent (T.Cook not to name it) decided that it was overbooked and did not offer any alternative but cancellation or Kuredu.
I was really upset and in a bad mood since Kuredu was indeed one of the few places I didn't want to go. With 325 villas and bungalows I was sure that it would be overcrowded and overall a bad experience. This only to tell you that I (my wife as well) finally left (what else could I have done? Cancellation and stay in Aberdeen under the rain and the awful grey sky???) in a rather bad mood.
Trip was OK. Direct fly from Manchester. A bit messy at Male airport since they could not find our booking (thought: it's all gonna go wrong...), finally redirected to the Maldivian Air Taxi base (they know how to deal with tourists, quick delivery to the resort is clearly the point). Finally arrived by boat at Kuredu after a stop at Kanuhura (pretty close).
I must say that by this time my mood had already slightly changed. This was my first time in the Maldives and I don't see how one could not be sensitive to all this sunshine, the turquoise water, fishes all around the place, palm trees and sandy beaches. I felt tired but better!
Regarding the resort now, let's be precise.
I can easily understand why some wrote bad reviews abt Kuredu. If you get one of the Beach bungalows or "O" beach villas you might be REALLY disappointed because they are not on the side of the lagoon but that of the open ocean, don't have a proper beach and most have pretty ugly big blocks of concrete to break waves just in front. Indeed the Beach bugalows look worn out and don't have immediate access to the beach. Water villas might be OK but I don't think they are the wisest choice.
As others have said the best choice is definitely the Beach Villas and Jacuzzi Beach Villas (that's what we had, Villa 224). You have proper access to the beach (indeed you are on directly on the beach) and you face the lagoon (and yes, there are plenty of turtles, rays, and all sorts of funny fishes right there, no need to go far away). Jacuzzi beach villas on the right side of the jetty (when you arrive) might be slightly better because the beach is broader and, in my opinion, a bit nicer. But it's pretty nice on the other side as well.
Food was excellent (and I might be picky, french are supposed to be so, right?) considering this is a buffet. Lot of choice with a pretty decent variety of vegetables and fruits. Fish and meat at every meal if you want to (OK fish is mostly tuna but it's quite good). The waiter was quite nice and not overtly expecting tipping all the time.
Weather: no need to discuss abt it. Wonderful.
Bar and resort in general: much to my surprise it wasn't really crowdy although one might expect that in january. The thing is that the perimeter of the island is 3.5 kms, pretty big.
For reasons I can't gather there are not many people swimming so that you really have the beach on your own. And during the day apart from a few people walking along the beach you barely see anybody. Bars are fine and if you go all-inclusive you can get pretty drunk all day long if you fancy cheap vodka, cheap whisky etc. If you prefer a good cigar with a Cardhu then this is not included. And if you'd rather have a cocktail, it's not included either. So if you mostly drink sodas and beer on the tap you'll be alright. But if you want something more you'll have to pay.
Same with water. But honestly with the all-inclusive package you get a 1.5l bottle for 1.5USD if I'm correct. That's not especially outrageous, is it?
Mosquitoes, pests and the rest: did not see any rat (heard of some but, again, on the other side of the island), caught a cockroach in the bathroom (fair enough since the bathroom is on the outside at the back of the Villa), killed 4-5 mosquitoes and never been bitten once. Might be different with the water and "O" villas since I suspect that the fumigation efficiency is strongly diminished when you're not in the middle of the island.
If you don't stay for more than a week you should consider immediately going to the bars (not to get drunk but) to check the different small cruises and trips they offer. There is a decent choice at pretty reasonable prices. You might also check at the diving center for diving and snorkeling option (although you might as well walk from you villa and do the snorkeling just there! It's really nice. However be careful with urchins hidden under rocks: it hurts!! + there are murenas (might hurt even more)).
People, as others have said, are mostly friendly. However none of them will be able to tell you anything interesting abt the country and its history since most of them are from Sri Lanka and the rest from various places including India or Bangladesh. And indeed, being in a resort you don't get anything abt people living there and their habits. But you don't get there to use your brain, do you????
I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to go back to the Maldives but Kuredu certainly was not a bad experience at all. Just hope that the construction of so many new resorts in the next decade won't alter the place too much (and I have serious doubts on this point).

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

Spent 10 glorious days at the Kuredu Island Resort. for our 25th wedding anniversary. The staff was fantastic and the resort is great. We stayed in the O Resort Villa (286) and it's probably one of the best spots on the island. The villas are only 20 meters from the water and there's a grove of coconut trees right on the waters edge. The Villas are brand new and the O resort has the best pool and best resturaunt and bar on the island. It's all brand new. There is coral right of the waters edge so bring your water shoes.This side of the island always has a nice breeze which makes it cool on the hot days and there were practically no mosquitoes. We opted for the all inclusive and I must say the food was fantastic. My wife and I seldom do buffets but the quality and preparation was splendid. We went on several snorkel trips and island excursions and the prices are very reasonable. I must admit that i was dissapointed at first when we got to our Villa because I thought I wanted to be on the lagoon side but in retrospect the area we were in is alot better. When we ventured on the other side it was always very hot and had no breeze. Some people we met on the snorkle boats that were staying on that side were covered in mosquito bites. We did venture to Komandoo one day and that resort is quite nice. It's similar but a bit quieter if that is what you like. All in all it was a fantastic trip and the staff even arranged a tour of Male on the day we departed. Other than the 30 plus hour trip from LA, I would love to go there every year.

• Liked — Location, All New Villas and the food
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

We have just returned (6th Feb 08)from a weeks' holiday on Kuredu Island and have nothing but praise for the whole experience.
Flew with First Choice - good flight (as much as 10.5 hours on a plane can be good!) with decent leg room etc. Upon arrival in Male we were greeting by friendly staff and given some water - we only had to wait about half an hour for our sea plane, which took another 40 minutes to get to Kuredu. Sea Plane is a tremendous experience - make sure your camera is handy. Upon arrival at Kuredu, we were swiftly checked in after being presented with a cool drink.
The room (Jacuzzi Beach Villa) was lovely - kept spotless all week. Having looked at all the available accommodation on the island, I would go for a Beach Villa or Jacuzzi Beach Villa because these seem to be situated on the nicest side of the Island. Having said that, the Beach Bungalows and 'O' Villas looked very nice too. The Water Villas were spectacular - we just preferred to be right on the beach!
The All Inclusive is a little confusing as different things are included for different guests. We were able to eat in all 4 of the main buffet restaurants and use all the bars. I think you could still have a cracking good holiday if your Inclusive package was for one of the restaurants only, as the food was very good and varied - but I would pay a bit extra for a bit of variety (I particularly liked the 'O' Restaurant which was included in our package). The A La Carte Restaurants were top class - we ate in The Beach one night (not cheap but worth every dollar) and I sampled the best steak I have ever eaten - and Franco's Italian another night which was equally fantastic.
The weather was bliss the whole time we were there, the sea was like having a warm bath, and the snorkelling even in shallow water full of delights (swam with turtles, mantas, and small sharks). The only wildlife to beware of are the mozzies and sand flies - if you have tasty blood make sure you take plenty of repellent as they are very thirsty!!
I would highly recommend the spa for both the ladies and gents (although my husband couldn't be persuaded as he thought it 'girly'!) - there are two spa's - the new one situated in the 'O' resort which I frequented 4 times. The ladies there are friendly and very good at what they do, and the whole atmosphere is one of pampering and luxury. The 'O' spa is over the water so you can relax by looking down through the glass panel in the floor at the water below, or just enjoy listening to the ocean.
The people who work on the Island are genuinely welcoming and friendly, and in my opinion deserve decent tips. Tipping is obviously optional, but we tipped our waitress in the Main Restaurant both at the start and end, likewise for the guy who cleaned our room.
All in all, Kuredu is a great place if you want activities (excursions are available, Island Hopping, water sports, diving etc) - but equally tranquil and relaxed if you just want to sunbathe and chill out in the evenings. Nobody harasses you to do stuff if you don't want to. One thing I would mention is if you suffer with headaches, or dodgy tummy etc etc take plenty of whatever medicines you need as there is nowhere to buy this kind of thing (there is a medic on the island -but no chemists or shop to buy basic tablets).
Top holiday destination - will be booking again!

Plymouth Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

Yes paradise does exist. The Maldives is it. We stayed at Kuredu all inclusive. I doubt if any future holiday any where else will live up to it. First class everything, cleanliness, food, drinks, service, accomodation,friendliness could not fault anything. They do not allow reserving sun beds with towels which was great. We booked beach villa but was down graded to beach bungalow for our first night due to overbooking I had read bad reviews about them but really they were not bad.( I know that they have been updated since our stay) however after being in a beach villa I would definatly want one again. Personally I think the extra money it costs to have a sangu water villa (on stilts in the water) is not worth it, what ever villa you have you are a stones throw away from the warm indian ocean. If you are looking for a action packed party holiday non stop then this is NOT the holiday for you. Relaxation at its best. However there are things to do. My husband is a work a holic and I was worried he might get bored but nothing of the sort he loved this holiday and we will definatly be going back again.

Stayed February 2004
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

I have been to the Maldives twice and stayed on the same island both times. The weather there is very unpredictable and i went in September both times and have very different weather, which ranged from extremily hot to torrential rain.
Kuredu is a tiny island 40mins away from the airport in Male by seaplane. On my 1st holiday i stayed in a beach bungalow which basically was a room with a bed and wardrobe, your bathroom is outside which seems a bit strange at first but is really nice having a shower outside in the sun well hidden from everyone else. If you want a holiday with lots to do Kuredu is not the place for you unless you like watersports of just relaxing on the beach. You can hire snorkling equipment or take a scuba diving course but this depends on how long your staying. The sea is crystal clear so by just snorkling you can see all sorts of amazing fish including reef sharks which come right up to the beach but are harmless and babies, the real big sharks are way out to sea. Turtles are popular around the island and also rays.
On my 2nd hol i upgraded to a beach villa which was a lot bigger than the bungalow and had a shower outside and also a jaccuzzi. I would definately recomending upgrading!!! all the bungalows and villas are right on the sea front so you can lie in bed and look at the sea. There are villas over the sea but i cant comment on those as i have nt been in one, the do look very nice though!
The staff on the island are really friendly and make the effort to get to know you and will always speak to you if they see you around.
The food is of a very high standard and the fish is caught during the night before so is always fresh! There is always a wide variety to choose from, and changes every day.
As you have no option but to go all inclusive all the food and alcohol is free, except the cocktails which are well worth the bit extra money. The bar staff always have a chat with you and shake your hand, and by the end of your stay will most likely know your name and what you drink.
Unfortunately if the weather is bad there is not a lot you can do as most of the activaties are outside, so on my 2nd hol we spent 3 days in the bar reading, was still nice and relaxing but did get boring after a while and i did spend more time under the influence of booze :-) .
when the sun does shine you can take a canoe out to sea and go around the island, or go wind surfing. There are daily tvisits to other islands so you can see how maldivan people live, its well worth the trip!
Also there is a sunset cruise which if fantastic but on my 2nd time it was raining and windy so we went dolphin watching instead but was equally as fun if not more, the dolphins are used to the boats and love to chase it and dive in and out of the water putting on show so make sure you take you camcorder.
I would definately go back to the Maldives as its just the most beautuful place on earth!!!!

Pelsall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

Having now spent 3 wonderful holidays in Kuredu, I just wanted to share our experiences with anyone considering this island, after reading some unbelievable reports on this site.

We first visited in 2004 as a group of 7, to celebrate our friend’s 50th birthday, and then returned in 2006. We had already booked our 2007 holiday by the time we arrived in 2006, and then changed it to Kuredu again, on our return to the UK! That should start to give you an idea of how wonderful the place is!

We flew Emirates, via Dubai, which, as always, was outstanding. Superb service and a chance to stretch your legs, taking advantage of the Dubai duty free. Then on arrival into Male, we had a short period of time to wait before our seaplane transfer. I understand that Kuredu now have their own lounge that you can use, which we just missed out on. The seaplane transfer is an amazing experience, with spectacular views of the other islands and coral reefs. Make sure you’ve got your camera with you!

Once we’d landed and walked down the jetty to the reception area we were handed a welcoming cocktail, before being transported to the Sangu reception at the other end of the island. After filling in our registration cards, we walked to down to our Sangu Water Villa – it was just like arriving back home! The water villas are just beautiful. Huge and very comfy 4 poster bed, CD player, coffee maker, and big shower room. Outside a split level deck with table and chairs on the 1st level then your own sun loungers on the 2nd, with steps into the shallow, turquoise water below. There’s an amazing variety of beautiful fish, rays, and reef sharks right there swimming with you!

The Sangu restaurant and bar are just minutes walk away, as is the sandbank. Every morning we would walk into infinity – it felt like we were walking over to Komandoo!! So relaxing and good exercise! My favourite thing about the Maldives is no shoes – and I mean no shoes! Sand floors everywhere. The bar staff are so friendly, in fact we have kept in touch with a few of them. Dammicka must be the most laid back person I’ve met in the world – and now a very good friend, as are, Kris, Lakmal, Jaya and Nirosh. In the restaurant you are allocated your own waiter who looks after you throughout your stay. They are all very attentive and keen to please. The food theme changes daily, and having travelled all over the world I have to say the quality and variety are the best I’ve experienced. Prepare to have an expanding waistline!!

Staying in the Sangu area, gives you access to the other restaurants and bars on the island, but although we ventured around the island during the day, we stayed in the Sangu area on an evening. If you prefer it a bit livelier, then it would suit you, but we like to chillax - as the Maldivians say!! The pool is almost warmer than the sea, and the pool bar plays great music.

If you fancy treating yourself, then although expensive, a candlelit dinner on the sandbank is worth every penny.

The ‘O’ Villa area was still being finished whilst we were there, but to be honest, I wouldn’t ever consider staying that end of the island. The sea is much rougher than the Sangu end, and quite rocky. I understand that they are trying to attract more people, but I don’t really see the point! It doesn’t do the island justice.

We have always stayed ‘all inclusive’ but haven’t taken up the ‘gold’ package. You do have to pay for cocktails, branded spirits, bottled wine, bottled water and milk, but their own brands are just fine, and the milk and water are inexpensive. The mini fridge isn’t included, which wasn’t a problem either.

I have only one criticism, and that is the cost has rocketed since 2004. What was excellent value for money is now, in my opinion for 2008, expensive. A 9 day break has gone up £900 a couple from what we paid in 2007, and on that basis we will be going to Veligandu this year. I hope we won’t be disappointed!

If you are going to Kuredu, enjoy every moment of it – it really is paradise!!! And prepare to be totally and utterly relaxed when you leave!!

• Liked — Absolutely everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

We had such a fabulous time on Kuredu for New year's eve and the first couple of weeks in January 08!
All I will say is don't doubt what a fabulous time you will have here .... It's such a beautiful place to be. Forget all the niggly things you read on sites like this . We stayed in JBVilla 259 @ the "o" resort end and we just loved it.
I would describe this end of the island as being more natural and up to date than the sangu end ( all that fuss and it looks a little dated)
With the brand new "O" resort just steps from our villa , this made our stay here really memorable. The stylish decor,lovely decked area and comfortable furniture outside the new bar area. We sat here for hours with panoramic views of the indian ocean. With no rail and about a 20 ft drop onto the rocks below this part of the island was declared a child free zone and for that reason this made the overall atmoshere here much better for us who are as yet childless. No offence to kids being around but this part is just not suitable . At night it's very chilled out and felt a little more exclusive. We literally could not fault this holiday from the villa to restaurants, food ,staff, cleanliness etc so I would take any negatives with a pich of salt . Of course not everyne likes the same things but with all of the new additions to the island I think it will only make things better . There is something for everyone here ! You can be alone , be in company , groups and have a lovely time but don't listen to the wingers !! have a great time if u choose Kuredu XXX I would definately go back!!!

• Liked — On the beach location at
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kuredu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!