“Nice small town experience....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Porridge House

The Porridge House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. John's Town of Dalry
The Porridge House
You added The Porridge House to your Saves list
18 Main Street, St. John's Town of Dalry DG7 3UW , Scotland   |
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Nice small town experience....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is not the fanciest place that you will ever stay in....But you didn't come to this part of Scotland for fancy. The owner's are very nice and the rooms were clean. The breakfast the next morning was good too....

The photo shown with this B&B is deceiving because it's not from the Porridge House. No matter, the B&B is a few doors away...

Enjoy

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Couples
Business
bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband stayed here while on a walking holiday in south west Scotland. Having camped for the previous 5 nights he was in need of a place to get some good food and washing facilities, Andy was a fantastic host , provided all he needed in a friendy and relaxed manner and even put a birthday candle in his tatty scone when he found out it was my husbands birthday!

• Stayed August 2012
Keswick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Superb breakfast at very cheap rates. Room also good. Only downsides are accessibility to premises because husband & wife are both working full-time elsewhere and no lounge available to guests.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I recently stayed 2 nights at the Porridge House. The room I had was nice and bright, and the bed very comfortable with nice huge duvet. On arrival Andi welcomed me and showed me to my room and then offered me some home baking to have with a cuppa. Glad I did cos the banana loaf was delish. The room also had tea/coffee making facilities and one plus point no small plastic milk cartons but real milk in a jug. A big plus.
I had the full cooked breakfast which was filling and set me up for the day. I can recommend the sausage, bacon, mushroom, tattie scone and egg breakfast. All produce being sourced locally.
Thanks Andi for making me feel welcome in your home. I will be back and can recommend the Porridge House.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed for three nights at The Porridge House while walking the Southern Upland Way and loved it. The twin room was very clean and the beds exceptionally comfortable. We chose the "uncooked" breakfast option, which, unusually, was £5 cheaper than the fry up. Of course, we were offered porridge, which was very good, cereals, home made bread and jams and lots of fresh fruit.

Our host ferried us to and from our drop off / pick up points on the SUW for the price of the petrol which was fantastic as this route is pretty remote in many places. Over and above, though, was his kindness in driving us 33 miles into Dumfries after a mix up with our bus from Dalry, again for the price of the petrol .

We enjoyed the excellent evening meals in the nearby Clachan Inn and the sandwiches made up for us by the ladies in the corner shop ( order these the night before ).

Overall, a highly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Porridge House? Share your experiences!