“Fit for a Princess” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Menstrie
Edmonton, Canada
“Fit for a Princess”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

When we surprised our daughter with a night in a castle for her 16th birthday, she was over-the-moon with excitement. And Broomhall Castle did not disappoint. We were greeted by friendly staff, had a wonderful supper in the dining hall followed by drinks in the lounge. Our rooms were by far the biggest we had seen in Scotland thus far, with a wonderful hot shower and claw-footed tub in our King room, and comfortable beds for our children down the hall. Breakfast was served upon our request - our oldest son quite unexpectedly LOVED the haggis! Staying here was a great way to celebrate our trip to Scotland, as a base to exploring Sterling Castle, the Wallace Monument and the delightful area surrounding Menstrie. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Double room on the second floor, beautiful view of the valley with the sunrise lighti...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
BroomhallCastle, General Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Hi guys

Thanks for the fantastic review and glad your daughter enjoyed it and that your son loved the Haggis... if you are ever back over this way please let us know and we will be more than happy to look after you all again!!

Slainge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the family room. Great sized room and fantastic to stay in a castle. Breakfast was great every day and staff really nice. A few things need improving though. The carpet in our room was threadbare and the couch was very old and lumpy, broken floor tile in bathroom all of which let the place down. Also, TV did not have proper aerial so couldn't watch the tv in room.

Stayed February 2014
BroomhallCastle, General Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for leaving a review for us and sorry to hear you were not 100% happy with the room, we are working our way round all the rooms replacing carpets, touching up paint, replacing tiles etc, obviously being busy this takes time but we promise we are getting there! As for the TV unfortunately since the government forced us all to switch from Analogue to Digital none of our TV's have worked properly (being surrounded by hills doesn't help either but we are doing what we can to fix this also..

Hopefully you will be back to see the changes in the future
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed in the Broomhall hotel for 2 nights. We had reserved a double room and family/king size room. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor with a nice view. Upon arriving we were greeted by Scott, however, there is no front desk to check in, so it is a little confusing when you enter the castle as to where you need to go. And I am not quite sure if they have someone in the hotel 24hrs, I didn't think to ask, but the rooms do not have phones, blow dryers or alarm clocks and we were provided with a key for the front door incase it was locked in the evening. The hotel does have a lift and they keep a sign on it that says its out of order. When we asked why it wasn't working, Scott told us it is a really old lift that tends to get stuck so they don't allow guests to use it. (this would explain why several reviews stated the lift wasn't working when they were there). One king size room was enormous and our bathroom was actually in the turret of the castle so my kids thought that was very cool. Very clean and modern bathroom with a large shower but no tub. The room was very clean and made up, but it did have an odor to it that we couldn't quite figure out when first opening the door. The hotel was very laid back, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We did have plans for an early tour and told them we were being picked up at around 8am and they did allow us to have breakfast earlier. So they had our table set in the dining room when we came down at 7:30am and they put all of the cold items out and took our orders and had us fed pretty quickly so we were ready for our tour guide. They even asked us when we came in that night if we wanted an early breakfast again the 2nd morning. The breakfast was delicious and it was so nice to have a breakfast that was cooked to order instead of a hot buffet. If you are used to 5 star hotel chains, then this hotel is not for you. This hotel is perfect for those looking for somewhere different to stay, it is clean, the staff is friendly and welcoming and the included breakfast is delicious. Close proximity to Stirling. We would definitely stay there again if we were to travel that way.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi guys

Thanks for the great review, no idea what the smell was either.. maybe it was the ghost!! Really glad you enjoyed your stay and that all the team looked after you whilst you were with us, unfortunately due to the thickness of the walls and amount of cable it would require to complete there will never be phones in the rooms, the cost of doing this would be money down the drain, and most people have mobile phones anyway... Hairdryers and alarm clocks are available on request, we used to have them in the rooms but they kept getting stolen!! There is a list of what is available in the guest folder in each room (unless of course someone has taken that as a keepsake!) To put everyone at ease we do have a member of staff on call through the night for emergencies and their contact details are in the guest folder also..

Hopefully you will be back to see us again in the future

Thanks again for the review
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I booked here due an offer of £50 a night for B&B. Staff were great good local knowledge. Unfortunately they don't serve breakfast until 8am. They have a reasonable menu, I did not sample it as the bar had issues with its draft beer.
I'd stop there again for a leisure break, but not business

• Stayed February 2014
Hi there

Thank you for leaving a review for us, sorry we didn't quite meet your standard, we do serve early breakfasts if requested and always offer this if it is needed (as per review above) our team will always do what they can for everyone staying.. it wouldn't have been the first time I've been in at 6 to make brekkie for someone, so please don't count us out next time you are up on business we would be more than happy to have a nice cooked delight for you any time of the morning, with a nice freshly brewed coffee!
And you will be glad to hear the draught issue (which turned out to be a broken condenser) has now been fixed and our beer is flowing perfectly!!

Once again thanks for the review and hopefully see you again soon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here last night with my partner. Before I begin my review I will say that I am a very critical hotel guest who picks up on minor details. Its just when I pay to stay in a hotel I want somewhere clean and welcoming, where I can relax and be comfortable. When we arrived at Broomhall Castle we were met by Scott who could not have been more welcoming, we were given a very warm welcome and shown to our room. The hotel has a very relaxed atmosphere which I liked. We were in room 2, our room was clean, the bed was large and comfortable. The carpet was a little dated and could have been doing with being replaced but I have seen worse in much more expensive hotels so not a major issue. The bathroom was nice and clean and we were supplied with nice big soft towels. Only issue in the bathroom was around the shower area the tiles could be doing with having some of the grout whitened, again not a big issue and again have seen much worse in more expensive hotels.. I didn't like the yellow colour that the underside of the bath was painted and thought it would have looked nicer being just white. Again I didn't like the yellow paint on the walls in the bedroom thought it looked cheap and would have preferred a nice deep red/burgundy or maybe even a mid green a change of paint colour would have made the room feel more traditional and castle like, that's just my own personal preference though. Only major issue in the bedroom was lack of mirror, the only mirror we had was above the bathroom sink which is not convenient when two people are trying to get ready to go out or when using hairdryer to do your hair blind. A full length mirror could cheaply and easily be added in the room either on a wall or on the back of the bedroom door or bathroom door. Noticed in previous reviews other people complaining about the lack of mirror in the rooms as well so seems a common complaint that could quickly easily and cheaply be sorted out. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant the food was nice, too much I couldn't finish mine but that's not a complaint would rather that than still be hungry after dinner. Staff in restaurant were welcoming and attentive, service was very good. A little bit of background music would have been good as it was very quiet in the restaurant. We missed breakfast this morning as it was served from 8am till 9.30am, we were away and it was sunday so we didn't want to set alarms to get up early. By the time we woke at 9.30 we were too late for breakfast. Most places that we stay serve breakfast until 11 on Sundays so maybe an option of having a Sunday breakfast a little later would be good. I am sorry we missed it as reviews seem to be good. After dinner we spent the rest of the night in the hotel lounge, it was quiet and comfortable my usual drink was not available at the bar but staff were more than happy to go out of their way to go somewhere and get some for me which was really nice and shows the standard of service you get at this hotel. They only had to go a few minites down the road to the local shop but still I don't know of anywhere else that would have done that for a customer/guest so was impressed by that. Again I think a little bit of background music in the lounge would have been better. Overall our experience was very informal and relaxed we were made to feel at home and throughout the night Scott was about to offer us more drinks and make sure we were happy with everything. Outside was very dark, there were no lights on outside at all I don't know why this is as there are lights all around and in the online pictures at night the castle is all lit up. when we went to get something out of the car we couldn't see a thing and noticed that the drive way on way up to the hotel was also very dark and the lights were not on. Maybe someone forgot to put them on maybe they were broken I don't know but as it was a busy night at the hotel I would have thought that the outside lighting would have been on. Well as you can see I have only very minor issues that could easily be sorted out and I hope that this hotel continues to refurb and pickup on minor issues as if these minor things were taken care of it would be a perfect place rite now they are almost there. As mentioned in other reviews yes the floor boards creak and there are stairs to climb and small doorways to get through but its an old building. If you don't want creaky floorboards etc go stay in a chain hotel down the road. If you want somewhere quiet a little bit different to just chill out and relax in an informal atmosphere with excellent friendly staff then stay at the Broomhall Castle. I will stay again and look forward to it.

Room Tip: Room 2 is small but comfortable, I think room 8 was bigger than ours and the four poster and family...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BroomhallCastle, Public Relations Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
I could go on and on thanking you and responding to all your comments, but feel its best just to say thank you :) we know there are bits and pieces we can do to improve (the music in the bar / lounge would cost us over £2000 a year so not doing that!!)
Hopefully its not put you off and you ever coming back drop us an email and let us know :)
Mancheser
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Really loved this hotel. As soon as we arrived I fell in love with the hotel/castle it all looked beautiful. We were met with a very warm welcome and shown to our room. The decor was very old fashioned but this only added to the 'castle experience'. We were led up to our room through tiny doors and up lots of stairs - something to bare in mind for people with mobility problems, although they did have a lift so looking back, I'm not sure why we weren't encouraged to use it?! It wasn't a problem though as we were just excited to see our room. The room was lovely with a massive bed! The bathroom had a huge tub (although I must admit I was disappointed that it wasn't completely 'free standing' and some of the grouting had got a little discoloured) despite this I would definitely stay here again should I ever visit the area again as the brilliant service and magical setting completely outweigh any minor negatives. The bed was very comfortable and the food in the restaurant was delicious both in the evening and the following morning. The staff were so polite and friendly and we even overlooked wild deer grazing in the morning. Absolutely lovely even with the strange teddy keyrings...you'll see what I mean if you stay here which I do highly recommend!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BroomhallCastle, Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Hi Michelle

Thank you for your review and glad to hear you liked us, and hopefully we will see you again soon.. we try not to let people use the unless mobility is an issue as it is temperamental (a bit like the management! - prone to stopping any real work for no reason whatsoever!!) We are working our way around the rooms re-grouting, sadly not all our bathrooms are big enough to allow for a fully freestanding bath..

Once again thank you for a great review (and glad you loved the teddy bears!)

Thanks and see you again

Rod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

In my job I travel all over the UK and NI. I always try and choose a place to stay which is moderate in price but when I arrived at Broomhall, not only is it set in beautiful surroundings but the welcome was lovely, they fell over themselves 2 accomodate and I am very fussy!! The castle is being renovated but is beautiful, rooms are huge and very much in period. I felt like a princess:) it isnt perfect but buildings with character never are so if you want a comfortable luxury stay this is the place to be...Alison from Liverpool x

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
BroomhallCastle, General Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hi Alison

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and glad you enjoyed it.. next time you are back up our way let me know and we will be more than happy to get you all booked in and give you a little tour to show you all the changes since you were last with us

Thanks again and hopefully see you soon

Been to Broomhall Castle? Share your experiences!