“Poor Food” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lauder
Scotland, UK
“Poor Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was part of the group with David A. As the management response stated my wife and I stayed at the Lauderdale for 2 extended periods of time in 2012 & 2013, during both stays the staff, service and food were all exceptional, however on the night in question we had recommended to our good friends David A and his wife that we go to the Lauderdale,the 4 of us go out eating on a regular basis to a variety of places. The Soup that both David & I had was not up to the usual standard, it was watery and lacked any form of taste. My wife had the Fish & Chips which was good, I had the Thai Curry which was also excellent. David had a Steak which was not up to standard and subsequently had it replaced, the replacement was also sub standard but the most embarrasing thing was the Chilli served up to David's wife, it was dried out and looked crusty and inedible, pleased to say this was resolved when she opted for the Fish and Chips. At this stage I have to answer to Mr McKays response, if we could see that the Soup was sub standard and the Chilli was dried up why didn't his Chef/ Staff see it and why does he feel the need to defend this particular complaint ? Hospitality is a fickle business, you can have hundreds of excellent meals in an establishment as my wife and I undoubtedly have had at the Lauderdale but this can all be overshadowed by one bad experience as this case proves, sadly it has put us off and caused embarassment to my wife and I as we recommended the food. The response could have been worded much better and only exarcerbated the issue by trying to justify..... loss of brownie points there. I regret to say that the outcome is loss of custom by us and that is something I never thought I'd ever say about an otherwise superb Hotel, therefore there are losers on both sides here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here twice - when working locally... Was impressd by the quality of the food .. I've had the special Curry - Thai Green Curry and a Minute steak, in Pitta bread with a side salad ... off the snack menu.

I've also tried items from the dessert menu and found them very well presented and tasty.

Breakfast : I had the 'works', but there was quite a few variants available.

The staff were attentive and the owner and his son pleasant ..... this friendly welcome ensured I came back

I

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

was looking forward to night out with friends from lauder there choice of venue this hotel for dinner im afraid i will not be back and if anybody asks me ill give them honest answer re food soup out of packet steak cold chilli very very dry probably re cooked they offered to re cook my wife opted for fish and chips and i got another steak sirlion it was not we paid bill in full ill never be back chef needs a look at himself

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
jaronmckay, General Manager at Lauderdale Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
This gentleman did come to dinner with friends who have both stayed and eaten here on many occasions and never had any reason to complain. I can assure him that the soup was not out of a packet as he described but was homemade by one of our chefs as are all our soups with local ingredients. I did apologise regarding the chilli as it was an extremely busy night and it had possibly sat for a little longer than normal under the hotlights whilst waiting on the party to finish their starters. He stated to me that his 2nd steak which was cooked from scratch was not a sirloin but I assured him that it was and we have never had any complaints from anyone before regarding our steaks, most people say they are the best they have tasted in a long time. Once again I apologise that he felt this way.

Been to Lauderdale Hotel? Share your experiences!