“Tranquil and Serene” 5 of 5 stars

Visit Glencoe like an insider
Small Group
$200*
and up
2-Day Loch Ness and Inverness Small Group Tour...
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Glencoe
Activities: Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: This is one of Scotland's most historic and picturesque glens, which attracts visitors who seek freedom and the beauty of the great outdoors both in summer and in winter.
Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
“Tranquil and Serene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Glencoe supplies beautiful views and stunning scenery. There is an eeriness in the air though--probably left over from the MacDonalds and Campbells Massacre shortly after the Jacobite uprising of the 17th century.

There is a small gift shop for those passing through for a short visit that provides information and a great vista of the accompanying glen.

This is also a great rest stop for those on an extended road trip, or on your way to the Isle of Skye

Visited April 2012

Schagen, The Netherlands
19 attraction reviews
“greates place on earth to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

the Glencoe is one of the worlds most finest nature places to stay. You feel small with the great mountains surrounding you. We have two dogs and two children and had a little walk to the rivier. There we did spend time to play in the river. Becarefull when there is a lot of rain, the river can go wild then! When we did stay there, the river was calm and the sun was keeping us warm. Take good care of your feet: go walking with walkingshoes. Once visit; we have respect for nature and it's great views and colors...blessed to visit this great nature place.

Visited August 2012
Hucknall, United Kingdom
“Awe Inspiring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Our trip to Glenco was awe inspiring. The weather was fine and sunny, and I was amazed by the beautiful colours on the munroes and mountains, from the black and grey of the rock formation at the top down through the bracken and heather, to the moss green of the lower slopes, and finally the rough grass and stalks at the base of the mountain, including, of course, the streams running down the crevices. I just wanted to paint it but had to satisfy myself with a photograph.

Visited October 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Visitor Centre Calamity”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Firstly, Glencoe is breathtakingly, unbelievably stunning and never fails to make my jaw hang. It is one of the most spectacular places I have ever seen.
Secondly, the National Trust for Scotland visitor centre is also breathtaking, but in an entirely different way. It has a cafe and their standards are astonishingly low. My wife and I arrived at 1245 on Saturday 22nd September 2012 and thought it would be a great place to get some lunch, given that it serves food and it was lunch time. Foolish old me. The choice for hot food was a solitary chicken pie or a choice of two remaining cheese and onion pasties. They had 2 flavours of soup and some stale sandwiches and an arrangement of crisps and chocolate. Please consider that the visitor centre has some of the worlds best produce locally available and a constant stream of tourists passing through. You would think they would provide a facility to be proud of. Sadly they don't - it was a disgrace. Worse still, when we arrived there were 6 tables available in the cafe, but not one was clean enough to consider eating at. I asked the young guy who sold me the sorry looking (and tasting) pie (note also that they just serve the pie in a foil tray - no chips or veg/salad - unimaginative and unprofessional) and the soup my wife had to clean the tables and he duly came round and started cleaning them. He did not clean the one we had sat at though, and we had to do it ourselves. What a scandalously pathetic dump. I will never go back to it and I will tell everyone I know how rubbish it is. What a complete horror story after experiencing the excellent facility at the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum Visitors Centre in Alloway earlier in the year. How can 2 National Trust sites be so different?

Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“The DON!!! part II”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Don McGratten (as previously stated, tour guide extraordinaire) was going through the itinerary, when I rudely interrupted him by asking "are we going to Glencoe?" he looked at me with eyes full of patience and said "yes," Don gave us the background to the McDonald vs Campbell situation that happened at Glencoe. His account ignited my imagination beyond words, but hey I can talk for all of Uganda and SCOTLAND, so I can always find the words. Glencoe captured my heart. It has such a presence and raw beauty that I caught my breath at the sight of it, Yeah! just like when I first saw Sean Connery. There is something unique about it, there are mountains and then there is Glencoe. I felt as though the very air was wrapping around me, it was welcoming and as if I had come home. Thank you Don for showing me a mesmerising place that I have fallen in love with (I know, I so need to get a boyfriend). Keep watching this space for part III, and I'll tell you how Don introduced me to Cullen skink??? (that is if they don't ban me). Team Uganda

Visited August 2012