“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marykirk Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marykirk
Marykirk Hotel
You added Marykirk Hotel to your Saves list
Main Street, Marykirk AB30 1UT, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marykirk
Izmail, Ukraine
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel for five days being on training in Petrofac Center.
I've got much more than was expected.
Although the place itself situated about 8 miles away from Montrose and 3 miles away from the Petrofac, the owner/administrator was so helpful during the whole stay by taking me to the course and back every day.
Comfortable room with quality furniture. The bar - is something special and the food was delicious.
Any problem has been solved immediately. Well, great impression!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed so much your week’s stay at my Hotel whilst you were here from Ukraine attending a Petrofac Oil Industry Training Course in nearby Montrose. Thank you very much for your positive comments, which are very much appreciated by myself and my staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montrose, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We have been going to the Marykirk Hotel for quite a while and have had many a good lunch. The staff are great and nothing is to much trouble for them.

In the summertime its great to eat outside, but even in the colder weather there is a lovely wood burning stove which keeps the bar really cozy, only have eating in the bar as we go for lunch but the restuarant looks lovely

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
"Dear 19CaroleK. Thank you very much for your very kind comments on the
quality of the meals, service and ambiance that you experienced recently
whilst having lunch at the Marykirk Hotel. Your comments create and encourage
a positive attitude for both myself and my staff. We feel proud that all our
efforts are appreciated, and this appreciation certainly means everything to
me personally. Thanks from Teresa"
Inverurie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have stayed at The Marykirk Hotel now for the last 5/6 years during our annual 3 day fishing trip on the North Esk. Felt I needed to comment on how good everything was again during our stay. Great welcome, excellent beer and service coupled with an extensive menu, beautifully cooked and presented. Clean comfortable rooms and friendly, friendly service. There was nothing more you could ask for in this well run Hotel. Fantastic value as well. Booked for next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Many thanks for your generous comments and I have passed these on to my staff. It is very encouraging to receive such a nice review and it lifts us all to see that our efforts have been appreciated by our guests.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you have booked again for the next fishing season. We look forward to seeing you again ! Warmest regards, Teresa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night and were sorry it wasn't longer. Teresa was most welcoming and very helpful, the room was clean and warm and the bathroom more than adequate. We all had dinner and all of the choices were very good. My only small criticism was that a beef stew with a separate pastry crust does not constitute a pie!! Our breakfast was freshly cooked and excellent. We would certainly return.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Many thanks for your kind and positive comments about the hospitality, accommodation and food . Chef and I have noted your thoughts about the steak pie not being served in a traditional pie dish, but it is by popular local demand that the presentation is such. We have therefore changed the menu description to address your comment and thank you again. (I am sorry to have taken so long to respond to you!).
Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband Steve and his friend Geoff use this hotel every year for their fishing trip, they have just returned home from this years trip. The rooms are nice with lots of tea and coffee. The staff are always helpful and friendly and Teresa greets them like friends when they return every year.
Breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
"Thank you very much for your generous and positive observations. Your
comments really encourage both myself and my staff to continue to strive for
customer satisfaction. It is very rewarding to read that guests have enjoyed
their stay with us and that our freshly prepared food was to their taste. We
look forward to seeing you again when you are in the region. Thanks again,
Teresa"
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed for only one night, but were made most welcome. The bedroom was comfortable, with plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. Dinner was excellent, with some unexpected Malaysian dishes. I had the chicken curry which was delicious. Breakfast was also first class. He to be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. It is so encouraging for both
myself and my staff to read your appreciation of our efforts to make your stay
at the Marykirk Hotel a pleasant one. We look forward to seeing you again next
year. Many thanks from Teresa
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Dear Teresa,

Your cordial help during our stay at the Marykirk hotel was a special moment for our travels in Scotland. The staff including your chef Robert was delightful to work with. They were always accommodating and considerate of our needs. The guest room was soothing after our long train journey. The chance to talk to local folks brought energy to our experience at the Marykirk Hotel.

Gordon

My wife and I stayed at the Marykirk on August 13th, 2013. We called late in the afternoon but were able to book a last minute room due to Theresa’s flexibility. The Hotel is a small well-appointed hotel. The family lives on the property and treats guest with gracious generosity. My guess is that the building is at least 150 years old as it has a lot of charm. Furthermore I guess that it has been repurposed more than one time. If you choose to stay at the Marykirk hotel you can expect an attentive staff. You should not expect a modern structure. However the room we stayed in was clean, bright, and airy.

As for the food! Now that was a special treat. Teresa and chef Robert have created a menu that is a fusion of Scottish and Malaysian cuisine.

For our starter course our waitress recommended a Scottish standby “Chefs Homemade Soup of the Day” Delivered to our table was a hardy Lentil soup. I believe it to be very authentic one pot wonder as many ingredients were combined to make a rich soup that could stand on its own as a meal in itself. The starter course was served with a crusty roll. We choose the Malaysian Fish Curry as our main course. It was delicious, spicy, soup-based Fish Curry served with rice and nan bread. Other interesting items on the menu included, Salmon Steak, King Prawns garlic/ Chilli Masala, Chicken Rendang, and Chicken Stroganof.

Ok, you get the idea, I like to eat but the best part of the Hotel Marykirk was the fusion between traditional Scottish and Malaysian culture. Teresa has integrated with the town of Marykirk providing excellent lodging for guests, employment for locals and has preserved a bit of the past.

If you stay at the Marykirk Hotel. Be sure to ask about the ancient artifact in the courtyard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your generous and positive observations. Your
comments really encourage both myself and my staff to continue to strive for
customer satisfaction. It is very rewarding to read that guests have enjoyed
their stay with us and that our freshly prepared food was to their taste. We
look forward to seeing you again when you are in the region. Thanks again,
Teresa

Been to Marykirk Hotel? Share your experiences!