“Runny Egg & Haddock ... YUM!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dunboyne, Ireland
“Runny Egg & Haddock ... YUM!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had a wonderful lunch with my husband and son in Mourne Seafood, Dundrum, today whilst exploring the wonderfully beautiful county Down. The food was fantastic and when I was a little disappointed that my Haddock and runny egg proved a little less than runny, hey presto, a replacement egg was whisked to my plate. Heaven on a plate especially with the light and tangy mustard sauce. The restaurant was good but their friendly and professional response to my eggy situation was much appreciated as was their reduction of the bill by way of apology. For ALL these reasons WE WILL BE BACK and will certainly be recommending it to our friends and family

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Superb lobster, friendly efficient service, lively atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Popular for a reason. We've visited a few times. Usually crowded...and for good reason. We know we need to book....and still there may be a tiny wait....but worth it. At this time of year, we aim for Wednesday night, lobster night. A variety of sauces available. Scallops also superb.Service cheerful and efficient. We have always had a great meal and a great evening....and well priced. Great value.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed a meal here on Friday night. It was our first time at the seafood bar however we had heard so many good reports and we weren't let down. Food was great, really flavoursome. The only negative thing I would say is that the tables are very close together and you could hear everything people were saying at the table next, it was a bit uncomfortable.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mourne
“Maybe it was an off night?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Yes, I do know that this restaurant has an excellent reputation. In fact we've been there on quite a few occasions and been very impressed. So, I guess (statistically speaking) this was inevitable. This time we came with friends, which was a blessing of sorts because, without the great craic, the amount of time we had to wait between courses would have been intolerable - 25 minutes on average. To make matters worse, the surface of our table was greasy and sticky - not pleasant.
The food - when it did arrive - was beautifully cooked and presented. The seafood chowder was
stunning, and the other starter (potted salmon) was delicious. It was fortunate that these were generous portions, otherwise we might have fainted while waiting for the mains. Each one of these was excellent. My plaice fillets on a bed of asparagus, mushrooms and peas was a real treat. The cheesecakes, ice-creams, etc., for dessert were very good, but the tiramisu tasted a bit bland and bready. The wine list was impressive. We chose a beautiful New Zealand pinot noir (excellent value at £20-odd).
Let's give the management the benefit of the doubt - everybody has the occasional off day. The Mourne Seafood Restaurant has the potential to be outstanding. In this case, the answer is simple, they just need to tighten up the coordination between waiting staff and the kitchen.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Needs new staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've been here a couple of times and always enjoyed it. This time not - a serious decline from the last time.

I booked the restaurant a month in advance, a table for two at 8pm. That should have ensured a table was ready when we arrived, but no. We were told it would be a few minutes as a couple were finishing their coffee, and we were shown to a shabby room upstairs and allowed to order a drink. 40 minutes later we were still there waiting. That must have been some coffee, or else we were forgotten about, or lied to. Not a good start.

They were busy, it was a Friday. And they could not cope. We were shown to our table. The waitress promptly dropped my glass on the floor (luckily empty as I'd had 40 minutes to drink the contents). We ordered our food and some pink fizzy cava. The waiter opened the fizz and it fizzed over onto the floor. He asked if we wanted a new one - seriously - did he really expect that we'd go ahead with a partially empty bottle for £25 or so? Poor service. The spilling was an accident - trying to palm the bottle off on us was very shoddy. If we had been being polite and said yes, that alone would have soured the evening, unless they'd offerred money off or something.

For starters, my partner ordered the roll-mop herring with salad, new potatoes and smoked salmon. I ordered the crab claws. They duly arrived, but the herring was only accompanied by a salad. No spuds or salmon. She asked a waitress for them, who went off to get them. They arrived on a separate plate. The chef was new and only had half an eye on the menu she explained. This was a worrying explaination - the chef doesn't know the menu. It was an OK starter. My crab claws were fine, although not the freshest.

Mains for her were the lobster, and for me the surf and turf. My surf and turf was really good. A nicely cooked steak topped with 4 large locally caught langoustines. Very fresh and delicious. Sadly, the lobster, while also fresh, had been topped with a salad of raw onions and tomatoes. The raw onion had therefore premeated the lobster, tainting an otherwise delicate seafood treat. This is a sign that not only does the new chef not know the menu, but they don't really understand food either.

We saw other people struggling with the poor service. A young couple were waiting to pay and were ignored by the waiting staff who also, incredibly, all decided to gather by the bar for a staff meeting while service was in full swing. The young couple had to go up to the till themselves. We didn't, instead they failed to order us a taxi until the third time we told them. The taxi driver also complained that they had ignored him too when he came for us.

This used to be a good restaurant. I don't know what has happened recently, but a serious amount of staff training is needed from the chef up.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere