Upon booking our stay at Ilita Lodge via a special, we indicated that our stay was for our babymoon. We mentioned this again when confirming our booking a few days before our arrival. We were hoping to at least have this recognised and perhaps have a little something to make us feel special.
On arrival, the manageress must have forgotten that it was our babymoon, even though we were the only one's checking in at that particular time, as she hardly noticed that I am pregnant (I had to point it out). We took that as not too big a thing, but it unfortunately did not end there. We were shown to a room with twin beds... really... twin beds for a babymoon? There was obviously not much thought put into this. We requested a room swop, which they gladly did and we got a room with a double bed.
As we were settling in and experiencing our stay, we noticed a few things that bugged us and also noticed that other people have complained about similar things before on trip advisor, which is really disappointing as you then feel like the people there don't care about their guests and their experience at the establishment.
The items we noticed were:
- the bed sheet did not fit the bed
- one of the downlighters was out
- the shaver unit in the bathroom did not work
- there were only 3 tissues upon arrival in the room and these were not replaced the next day after using all 3
- the toilet paper was not replaced after our first night's stay nor was a spare roll provided
We did not mention any of this to the manageress at first as there were no staff in sight. We realise these are all small things, but at the end of the day, the small things make up the big picture and the picture we saw was definitely not that of a 4-star establishment.
Along with the above, the service at breakfast on both mornings of our 2-night stay was such that we had to go knock on the kitchen door to get attention. For our hot breakfasts, our plates were put before us and the lady promtply walked away without giving us the opportunity to say if we're happy or would like anything else, which I did want and had to go knock on the kitchen door again to request. No other staff were visible.
Again this has been mentioned before by a couple of people on trip advisor, but it does not seem that it was addressed. When checking out we mentioned all of this to the manageress and she was very understanding and apologetic, although it does not change the fact that we already had a bad experience at a time we really wanted something special. The website gave a very different impression of the lodge than what we experienced. And absolutely no special somethings for us on our babymoon... not even a tiny little chocolate on our pillows or even an acknowledgement that this was a special time for us.
There is also nothing to do on a rainy day, forcing you to either spend the time in your room (with only 4 very basic TV channels) or to go out... which is quite a trek, as even though the view is beautiful, it's quite a drive to town or anywhere else.
We feel that even though we booked via a special deal, it should not be an excuse for receiving inferior treatment compared to any other guest. In fact, it should serve as promotion for good word-of-mouth advertising for the establishment, which this lodge unfortunately failed at dismally.
This was also the last 2 nights of our babymoon and we were very disappointed at having to end it like this. I must say, I would prefer to have my money back rather than being offered 2 nights complimentary stay, which we were offered by the manageress, but have not received as yet. I really don't feel like this is a place that I would ever like to visit again and would certainly not recommend it to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 10 luxury en-suite bedrooms have all the modern facilities to ensure that you have a comfortable and memorable stay, styled with exceptional quality. Each bedroom was awarded a private balcony ensuring that our guests have the prime spot when spying on the incomparable views which the Garden Route has to offer.For self service guests, you are invited to experience the 3 spacious and comfortable units which were uniquely designed to blend into the feature of Ilita Lodge, tastefully equipped with upmarket modern amenities. Wrapped in the peaceful and serene surroundings of the indigenous Cape Fynbos, these units offer travellers a chance to unwind while enjoying a typical South African braai under the starlit skies. ... more less