“This is definitely now on our list as a frequent place to call for a meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Horse Shoe

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Berriew
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
West Midlands
“This is definitely now on our list as a frequent place to call for a meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

The Horsehoe at Berriew is situated on the A483 between Welshpool and Newtown. We spend a lot of time in the area and look to find good quality local produce to both cook ourselves and to eat out in the local pubs in the area. We have driven past this place loads of times and never called in until now. And boy what have we been missing. We were told about it by a lady who runs a shop in Newtown- so if the locals rate it it must be worth a visit,
Apropos the previous review- The pub has changed hands since then and they have done an awful lot of work to improve the whole site.There is a lot of very pleasant outdoor seating in and around the site with a small sun terrace at the back. I noticed that there is a bit of landscape work going on around the canal but it all takes time.
The internal ambiance is very warm, friendly and cosy ( we visited during the very cold spell over Easter and there was snow everywhere. ) We received a very warm welcome and were quickly shown to a very nice table. The place is immaculately clean.
The menu consists of good welsh fare with main courses ranging from £6.50 ( £5.00 menu for kids) to £9.50 ( Steaks etc ). We ordered 3 sausages and mash and liver and onions with mash. When it came it was absolutely gorgeous and ideal to keep out the cold. It was local produce with proper sausages and the liver melted in your mouth. We couldnt face desserts but they looked really good. Although we did notice that they stock " Dairy Dreams Icecream which is made just outside Churchstoke and is to die for as a quality icecream. With a pint and two J2os our bill came to £20.20. The beer was excellent at £2.20 per pint.
Apropos the location. There is ample parking with a newly constructed fenced off play area for the kids. The owner keeps his chickens at the back to provide fresh eggs for the kitchen. The old pub is situated alongside the Montgomery canal and you can walk over the back to see the canal. the old lime kilns and the lock house and boat turning area. I intend to park up there and walk along the canal one day as its a very beautiful spot.
I think its probably true to say that the Horsehoes has now got itself back firmly on its feet and we would very much like to recommend it as somewhere of quality to eat in and around Newtown and Welshpool

• Visited April 2012

“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Ate at the Horse Shoe with 8 friends last night. From the second we arrived the welcome was warm and friendly - and so was the homely woodburner which we sat by whilst we perused the menu! . The Horse Shoe has a great ambience and the menu combines the unusual with the traditional; Tich Turner the new owner has probably managed to nab one of the best chefs in the area whose Beetroot (yes beetroot) Cheesecake was to die for! We all had a fantastic evening and it won't be long before we return. At last this area has a truly good place to eat.

welshpool
“The best fish and chips Ive ever tasted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

For anyone wanting to go for a lovely meal this is definitely the place to go. The horseshoe has just reopened and boy what a difference, a great atmosphere !! the service was fantastic and as for the chef.....bloody brilliant. Both my son and I had fish and chips and it was beautiful and very filling, I would recommend it to anyone. Will be trying out the sunday carvery on sunday so will keep you updated :)

Welshpool, United Kingdom
“The best meal ever! With fabulous service-at last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I have just returned from, probably, my best ever meal out. The food was fantastic, service attentive and over and beyond what I would ever expect. New owner, Tich, went out of his way to welcome us, we were a party of 14 who had not booked, but the staff coped so well. The food was amazing! Our ages ranged from 1yrs to 70yrs and we were all catered for! My only dilema was what to choose from the fab choice on menu. My children are aged 5 & 8 and fussy eaters, they (as always!) chose chicken nuggets, but these were homemade (like all other kids meals) plus I think you can ask for which ever veg will suit your child-total bonus! A must if passing on the A483!

Welshpool, United Kingdom
“Superb - A Gastro Pub that Gordon couldn't find a ******* fault with!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I first visited this pub over a year ago to deliver Air Show leaflets and frankly it was a dive. It has just re-opened under new management and with an excellent young chef that got the previous restaurant he worked at a Michelin listing. Mine host 'Titch' made me feel welcome from the moment I stepped into the bar. A roaring fire took the chill of the January night away instantly. The menu is simply scrumptious, with something for everyone, including a good number of vegetarian dishes, without being exhaustive. The emphasis is clearly: fresh, freshly prepared, healthy and hearty. I opted for the prawn cocktail which was excellent executed and the fish of the day (Pollock). There was an option of batter of breaded – I couldn't decide so they cut the fillet in two and one was done in batter and the other bread crumbs – both were superb. I enjoyed and excellent pint of real ale and he has an great selection of wine, previously having worked in the wine trade has an exhaustive knowledge so he can really guide you, several ladies were receiving instruction while I was there. The prices are very reasonable and my fish and chips was £7.50 but a half fillet (which would have been enough) can be had for £4.50.

• Visited January 2012