“Bitterly Disappointing :(” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 66 Restaurants in Neath
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: We are a family run business with a passion for excellence and amazing food! Nothing is too much for us to do for our customer's happiness. We do not aim to satisfy...we aim to amaze!!!
London, United Kingdom
“Bitterly Disappointing :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

As per usual, I relied on Tripadvisor to suggest my dining venue for the evening whilst visiting Neath for business. Although their website is not working, I decided to go with the highly rated "Buffalo Bill/Jamaican Jill" restaurant, which was conveniently close to my hotel.

I arrived relatively early (just before 6pm) and the restaurant was very quiet, although it seemed to get busy very quickly in the hour or so I spent in the restaurant.

The waiter was very friendly and talked me through the menu, explaining about the split between the American and Jamaican style menu. I decided to try both and went for an American starter (jalapeno poppers) and a Jamaican main (Jerk Chicken).

The starter was nice enough but I personally thought the portion was quite small for the price compared to other restaurants I have visited who do the same starter for a similar cost.

I had a similar problem with the main meal. The Jerk Chicken and Rice portion was tasty enough, however it was the equivalent to a quarter chicken and rice portion at Nandos and surprisingly it was double the price! The plantains and salad advertised with the meal also never arrived and it was only when I questioned the waiter he decided to mention that they had run out of plantains and offered me a free side dish. I opted for the sweet potato fritters, which were absolutely awful! They were badly overcooked and had absolutely no flavour.

As you have probably gathered from my above comments, I was extremely disappointed with my experience at Buffalo Bill. I would expect small portions at high prices if I was dining at a Michelin Star venue, but not at a local high street restaurant in Neath! I cannot remember the last time I left a restaurant feeling hungry and I am lucky that there is a Subway across the road from my hotel!

Perhaps the restaurant was having an "off" day, but my experience was average enough that I can safely say I would not hurry back to this restaurant any time soon.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
BernieDavies, Owner at Buffalo Bill, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We are very grateful for your honest feedback and deeply regret that your dining experience with us has not been as expected. Firstly regarding portion sizes we accept that we have made some changes there due to consistent feedback both on and off line that we were serving up MUCH too generous portions. Plates were consistently coming back with a lot of rice and meat and compliments BUT suggesting we lessen portions. We decided to try a portion reduction as we value customer feedback. We will have to look at this issue again as we definitely want to give our clientele value for their money. We will get the balance right.

Regarding the actual quality and taste of our food, we are very passionate and strive for excellence at all times. To have let you down in such a manner is very upsetting to our team and we invite you to give us another opportunity to wow you. No one likes to accept the possibility of an 'off day' as you put it but we can accept failing to please you and for that we apologise.

We hope to see you again soon.

Neath Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“Night out with friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Meal out with three friends, nice welcome from staff pleasant atmosphere. Some of us ate from buffalo bills and some from Jamaican Jill's. The staff were welcoming and friendly and everyone made an effore to to be accommodating. The sharing plate menu is good and the starter menu seemed to go down well. However some of the mains were a bit below par. The wine prices were reasonable maybe worth a return visit before really making a decision. Will try again?

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BernieDavies, Owner at Buffalo Bill, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. We are pleased that our starter menu was lovely and you all enjoyed it. We remember when the mains were not all as you expected we did offer and you enjoyed our homemade ice creams on the house. We therefore hope you were assured that your total satisfaction is paramount. We therefore look forward to seeing you again soon and making it a wonderful experience ALL ROUND! :0)
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Visited Jamaican Jill's/Buffalo Bills and had a wonderful experience!Lovely staff and tasty food.Recommended and we will definitely be visiting again soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
BernieDavies, Owner at Buffalo Bill, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks very much. We work rally hard to provide a wow experience for everyone who dines with us. Thankfully we seemed to have succeeded with you and we are very grateful that you have chosen to share it. See you again soon!
South Wales, uk.
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We ate from the Jamaican menu and the food was a real treat. The service was second to none. I had salt fish and akee to start and salmon on sweet potato mash as a main dish, both of which I'd order again. My wife ordered the mutton curry which was very tasty. We enjoyed the whole experience and will return soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Amazing food with fantastic service and atmosphere!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We have had the opportunity to dine here twice. Once for my husbands birthday and today for Father's Day. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful the restaurant is. From the moment you walk through the door there are friendly staff to greet you on arrival.
The menu choice caters for all from steaks (local produce) to traditional Jamaican delicacies all wonderfully cooked and presented by exceptional chefs!
The restaurant is clean with themed presentation and has a family aura welcoming you as you enter the door.
We especially enjoyed the Akee starter on our first visit and our Jerk chicken today
What is also wonderful is the catering for children's meals. ( not processed and freshly cooked!!!)
On the last Friday of the month a steel band plays, again providing wonderful atmospheric dining.
The staff there are a credit to themselves always at hand to making your dining experience a memorable one!!
This restaurant is defiantly a must try its a hidden Gem in the heart of Neath!!
We can't wait for our next visit to try more of Jill's cocktails!!
Written with thanks. Christina & Andrew