“Service with a smile” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: FAMILY RUN VILLAGE PUB/RESTAURANT offering quality homemade meals served 6 days a week in our cosy bar or traditional restaurant with a warm welcome.Fish Specials vary each week.Outdoor beer garden and childrens play area to the rear of the pub.Childrens Menu, good choice of desserts inc.Our homemade rice pudding with a hint of whisky. Specialist teas & coffees. Meals served 6 days a week Tue-Sat 12-2.30Pm & 6-8.30Pm, Sunday Lunch 12-2pm - Bookings Only. Quiz night every Weds 9pm. 2 Courses £10 on Tue, Wed, Thur - lunch & dinner, main + choice of starter or dessert from our set menu. PLEASE CALL AHEAD TO BOOK A TABLE as if no bookings in restaurant closes early.
Chester
“Service with a smile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Lamb and Flag for Sunday lunch. Good service, all freshly cooked and served efficiently. Couldn't fault it

Visited October 2013

United Kingdom
“food lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Food lovely as are staff carpet needs replacing and the room smells old a good menu selection and reasonably priced

Visited October 2013
Yvonne P, Manager at The Lamb & Flag Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your review I am glad you enjoyed your
meal with us. The carpet does not need changing as with the pattern
on it it is very serviceable for the type of environment. You commented that it
smelt musty in the pub we are in the process of painting
the restaurant so it was probably the paint causing the smell.
It will take a few weeks for it to be finished as it can only be
done on a monday when the restaurant is closed. We will then look to have the carpet cleaned
as it is an expensive carpet and very hardwearing.
Check out our xmas menu which is on our website and call us to book.
Hope to see you again soon.
Regards Yvonne, landlady
Neath, United Kingdom
“Fab Fab Fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Fabulous welcome,Fabulous Food,Fabulous service.My wife and i were recommended the lamb and flag by our friends and we were not disappointed.When we arrived we were shown to our table by the landlady who was very pleasant and give us our menus and told us about the specials on the board.I picked the chicken curry which was superb and my wife had the tipsy ale pie which she said was excellent the young lady who served us had a lovely manner about her and cleared our table when we finished our meals not like other places we have been too where they have left our plates on the table for a long time.Thank you to the lamb and flag for an excellent experience for my wife and i, Which was reasonable priced too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“I hour wait for food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Booked a table here as i read the good reviews,how wrong was i to trust them!Saturday the 14th sept i was looking forward to,i booked on the monday so they had enough time to get sorted.Got there at 6.50 for 7pm table.Ordered srtaight away,waited 1 hour before the food came,we didnt even order a starter so no excuse as far as i am concerned.One couple behind us asked for desserts and waited over 20 mins for them,they should have said something,thats awful,ihave worked in numerous restaurants as a waitress and i know for a fact that the waiters/waitresses do the desserts so what was the delay there then? When we did get our food our son who is 5 was very fed up,his food nuggets were burnt,needless to say he wouldn't eat them,my partner ordered the pie,no crust on the pie so he just had the filling,what a joke a chef who cant make pastry.I had the cod,what a mistake,had the saute potato with it and it all tasted the same,i couldnt finish it.When the waiter asked was it ok,i said only ok,im sorry but itwas not good.we waited an hour for it and then it was awful,to which he replied,well we only have one chef and it is busy! I tehn said BUSY WITH 4 TABLES,not acceptable. What the hell is he like if the place is roofed then.I have to say we wont be going back and I WILL BE TeLLING people not to eat here. Regulars get much more food and service straight away,not the right way way to run a business the lamb and flag and hope you read this.You sholud be ashamed of the way you run that pub. We were hungery arriving and hungery leaving.Rather have had a chinese much better value.What a joke.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Yvonne P, Manager at The Lamb & Flag Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Yes I have read your review of our pub and your experience with us on that Saturday night and let me address your problems you have raised in this review. I checked with my staff and the chef who informed me that there was not a 1 hour wait for you, there was a wait yes but it was busy at the time you ordered and he did have a number of orders in the kitchen at that time already. With regards to the couple behind you again they did not wait 20 minutes for their desserts, they did wait a little time which we apologised to them for which they were fine with as they eat regularly with us and understand David is our only chef and it does get busy on the weekends.You mentioned you used to work as a waitress but I dont think you have ever been a chef in a busy kitchen on a weekend. Our chef was working as hard as we could and most customers understand this and it does state on our menu that good food takes time and to please be patient during busy times. My staff did check with you half way through your meal to check if everything was ok with your meals and your husband said everything was fine. If you were not happy with your meals this was time to mention this not at the end of your meal. With regards to the pie your husband ordered it does state on our menu that there is a pie lid and what you received is how we present that particular dish, rather than putting in a small dish which would mean you would have less meat inside as the pastry lid would take up most of the dish. I did not understand your comment that your cod and your saute potatoes tasted the same, when they are fish and potatoes? Our battered cod is our most popular dish on the menu and we often have excellent comments about this dish. I have noticed from your other reviews on tripadvisor of other pubs and restaurants that you are very critical of all of them. In the service industry it is difficult to please customers all the time and am disappointed that you felt you had to leave a negative review on Tripadvisor. We are currently looking for another chef to assist the head chef during busy times to try and reduce waiting times but our meals can take longer than other pubs as all dishes are cooked fresh and to order and not microwaved. I would like to think that Tripadvisor reviewers will look at our Certificate of Excellence which we have received from our many happy reviewers and customers with our majority of reviews being 4.5 stars out of 5. I am sure customers will visit us and judge for themselves.
Medway
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Fantastic food but the decor doesn't do it justice. Looks like an old people's home. Needs to be updated

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us. I am not sure what your meant by your comment that the decor is like an 'old people's home' as we have modern furniture in the restaurant and the carpet is a must have for a pub as it is very serviceable for the type of business we run. It is an old meal and if it was decorated with very modern wallpaper it would not be inkeeping with the age of the building.We are however in the process of arranging to redecorate the restaurant to inject a bit of colour over the next few months as only now there have been sufficient funds available for us to do this. The brewery are only responsible for the outside of the pub and we have to pay for any changes internally. Once the re-dec has been done I am sure customers will see a difference. See you again soon to enjoy some excellent food.