“A great light lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 71 Restaurants in Neath
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tucked away inside Neath���s four-star boutique hotel The Blue Bell, La Mancha Brasserie is a Mediterranean restaurant that rates highly on the local dining scene. Dressed up in sexy natural materials such as leather, stone and wood, the restaurant has an earthy ambience and celebrities including Charlotte Church and Gavin Henson have been known to dine here. With the occasional live jazz night and its moreish menu, La Mancha is a romantic place for two ��� but it is also suitable for business breakfasts and lunch dates. The emphasis in the kitchen is on using fresh Welsh produce, and the staff here are passionate about creating a fun, unstuffy vibe.
South Wales
“A great light lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Had lunch at La Mancha with my 5 year old boy. We ordered a bowl of mussels and squid and salmon from the lunch-time special menu. The meal was great value and extemely tasty. We both polished off the mussels which were plump, juicy and delicious. The service was spot on with friendly waiters and waitresses. I've agreed to go back with the boy as he liked the mussels so much.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Neath, United Kingdom
“Posh looking venue, poor service & overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Celebrated my 40th birthday here with 15 friends. Disappointed with the food for the price we paid per person. Menu sounded fabulous but on being served the food, it arrived looking average & tasted average. Was extremely ashamed at the look of the cheese board which must have been prepared well in advance of being served. The cheese was dry and had started to curl at the edges & parts had dried & hardened.
Service was not amazing. One or two of the bar staff were attentive, but other members were slow & needed supervision by experienced staff.
The restaurant & hotel itself looks very impressive & I think it is good for Neath to have a venue like this. However, for the prices you pay, the standards must improve with regard to staff attitude and service, plus the food must be of a higher standard than what I have experienced.
This is my third visit to La Mancha and I have given them the benefit of the doubt, but each time I have left feeling very dissatisfied with my experience.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
wales
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Disappointing, the meal had a nice tapas for the four of us to start and was well presented, main course was a different matter, a medium rare venison was sent out well done and returned for a further attempt and a sirloin steak was sent out as fillet steak!! The chef was adamant that it was fillet even though it was identical to a sirloin steak also ordered!! After complaining the meal was given as a comp but overall the meal due to the above was average!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Food Good, Service disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My partner took us to the Blue Bell Hotel (La Mancha Restaurant) last night for my birthday and we were booked in at 7pm, on arrival the place was virtually empty, we were greeted (eventually) by the waiter whom I assume was Spanish, after seemingly struggling to find us on the booking list he eventually showed us to our seats, despite the empty restaurant we were sat right at the front where people waited to be seated, it was far from the best table in the place and a couple that were also seated next to us asked to move shortly after arriving.

The Spanish waiter comes over, he has the wine menu in his hand but he does not give it to us, he then asks if he can get us a drink, not actually having the drinks menu made the selection a little difficult so I informed him "I'll have a bottle of house white", he completely failed to grasp what I was saying and then hands me the drinks menu, he was then encouraging me to indicate what it was I wanted. I pointed to the wine and to the word "bottle", in very broken English he muttered something along the lines of "Glasses?" I responded with "Two please" (which I thought was odd as there were already glasses on the table), he then asked "Large or small?" to which I responded "Either would be fine" again another blank look so I just said "One large one small", the whole situation was very uncomfortable as I did not want to come across as rude, he seems to get the message and goes back to the bar.

My girlfriend then informs me that he has in fact poured two glasses of wine at the bar, one large and one small. He fetches them over and we accept (ordering them was hard enough in the first place let alone rectifying a mistake). He explains the ordering process well enough.

We go up to the counter to order and we make our choices, I have the Chicken Skewers to start followed by the Sirloin Steak and my partner went for the fish cake and Fillet. The starters arrive in good time and were well presented. We both agreed that both dishes were very nice.

At this stage I notice there seems to be a Manager present so I take the opportunity to raise my issue about the wine, I inform him politely that there was a break down in communication and I did in fact want the entire bottle of wine rather than two glasses, he apologised and quickly brought a fresh bottle to the table, I thought this was odd as I only expected the rest of the bottle, I then assumed the first two glasses were "free" due to the communication mix up (after all the bottle probably only costs them around £4).

The mains come and my girlfriend is delighted with her Fillet Steak, she offers me a taste and I also confirm its a nice cut of meat cooked very well (I am a bit of a steak perfectionist). I then "tuck in" to my Sirloin and the amount of fat around the (entire) Sirloin was disappointing, this was also not helped by the rather small portions of Saute potato's that had come with the meals (I was worried I was going to leave hungry). The Sirloin was cooked perfectly however I think the actual cut of meat let the dish down. The Saute potato's were tasty and (very) hot.

The Spanish waiter then comes and clears the plates and asks if we would like the dessert menu, we decided on what were were having and informed him of the same. The rate at which the desserts arrived was pretty alarming (around 2 minutes) and I would have preferred a little break between the main and the dessert. When it arrived I was very happy with my Vanilla Cheese Cake however on trying my Girlfriends Chocolate Fudge cake it tasted pretty "cheap" with a poor texture and "thickness", it also appeared to have been put in the microwave for too long, I have definitely had better here before!

The bill came and I can break it down (roughly) as follows: Glass of small & large wine £8 (yes they charged us), bottle of wine £13, Chicken Skewers £6, Fish Cake £5, Fillet £22, Sirloin £18, Cheese Cake £5, Fudge Cake £5 so a total of around £80-85 (not cheap considering its location).

Luckily we had a Taste Card and this reduced the food bill by 50%, this meant all in the meal came to £51 which seemed decent enough, in fact I think it was a nice meal for this price level, very nice in fact, I could even put up with the mix up with the wine, the fact they charged me for the mix up and the "fatty" steak at this price level. If I did have to pay £80+ I would have been disappointed though, I would have rated this place 3* if I paid the full price.

I have visited this place many times for lunch and as far as the lunch time menu goes, its pretty hard to beat at the price. Its when I am expected to pay £22 for a steak (in Neath) my standards increase substantially higher, probably one of the nicest places to eat in Neath, in the wider area (Swansea) I would say its expensive for what you get compared to (many) other places.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aberdulais, null, United Kingdom
“first class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

i was pleasantely suprised at the stuff in la mancha, especially VIRGINIA, she was very professional and made sure that our meals were top class. i would recommend this place to anyone.. WELL DONE...

• Visited October 2012