“Very caring and high quality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Skenfrith
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Herefordshire
“Very caring and high quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I arrived on the spur of the moment with a disabled friend. Although they were quite heavily booked and we had no reservation the waitress found us a roomy table (ideal for a person with a disability) with a good view close to the window.
I had no idea that my guest had a lactose deficiency which she declared when we asked for our orders. Immediately the waitress apologised for a slight delay but said she would prefer to discuss suitable options with chef. He was most helpful and offered to adjust certain items and even added a couple of other options to give greater choice. We both thought that our mael & dessert were of the highest quality and beautifully presented.
Thank you The Bell for your kindness and response. .

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hereford, United Kingdom
“Let down by the manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Celebrated a birthday here recently (Sat 28th Sep). The food was good (sporadically very good), and the service from the waitresses was excellent. However, the male manager that was helping to serve tables that night was careless and rude. I ordered a particular bottle of wine by number, was brought the wrong one, and when I pointed this out, he told me "Ah, you meant number 120". "No", I replied, "I meant the number I said; you've just brought the wrong bottle". He disappeared off and returned with the correct wine. He then proceeded to 'pour' it for us all, spilling some wine over every glass he aimed at. It wasn't a cheap bottle, and there was no apology, and no attempt to clear up after himself. He then brought the mains out, and gave the wrong plate to someone who had ordered a specially-tailored dish, despite the fact we told him it wasn't the right plate (we could see that much for ourselves). By now we had realised it was quicker to just put his mistakes right ourselves, rather than wait for him to do so. His almost aggressive rudeness took the shine off what was otherwise a pleasant meal. I'm amazed that a restaurant as good as the Bell would hire a manager as bad as this guy.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pwllmeyric
“MY HOW IT HAS CHANGED!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were invited to join friends for dinner & we had not been to the Bell for 15years!!!! Very stylish modern decor. Unfortunately it lacks comfy seating areas for pre dinner drinks. The food was delicious and beautifully presented but the portions were very small indeed & I actually left feeling hungry & I am am not a big eater! It was a case of when the food was presented I thought "should I hang this on the wall or eat it" Service was good but we do feel over-priced for the size of the portions.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Great Britain
“Good service, it is a pity that the food was not as good!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Nice surroundings, particularly the views over the traditional country garden . Good friendly snd efficeint service.
Our bread, provided with the starter, seemed a bit dry as if were yesterdays.
As a starter I had good ham hock terrine but it could have done with more and tangier apple sauce. and the leaves could have done with a dressing.
Main course: Beef Bavette included Double fried, casehardened chips which were not particularly appetising . The rare beef was very chewy and lacking flavour. My wife was also not impressed with her food.
An excellent wine list.
I will not be returning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Penarth, United Kingdom
“Top marks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We really couldn't find fault with The Bell.

We visited on the last day of our holiday with the last dregs of our spending money, so were very hard to please. Not only did The Bell please us, it delighted us with the superb quality food and excellent service levels.

The food arrived promptly and presentation was professional. Impressive in itself, and we were even more impressed with the wonderful flavours that were released.

The fish (haddock to start, Pollock for main) was as perfect a texture as you will ever taste.

The flavours from the home made burgers and relish justified the menu's fanfare.

An idyllic end to our holiday. Thank you!

Visited September 2013