“Back and better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Crown at Whitebrook

You added The Crown at Whitebrook to your Saves list
The Crown at Whitebrook
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   The Crown at Whitebrook, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Whitebrook NP25 4TX, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitebrook
intergoal
“Back and better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Crown was always a top class restaurant so it was very disappointing to see it close last year. I was relieved to hear it had re-opened but wondered if it could reach the same standard. I was very pleasantly surprised, there is no doubt that under the new management The Crown is not only back but its better. The tasting menu was truly outstanding and by some distance the best dining experience I have had on the Welsh side of the Severn. The wine matches were also spot on. I read earlier comments about small portions but this was certainly not my experience and perhaps this has been addressed. Breakfast the following morning was also top class.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
North West of England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

A superb experience. We had the taster menu: every course was miniature perfection. Nothing was rushed; we could linger and savour every beautiful mouthful. The quantities and timing were well judged, so we felt comfortably replete and relaxed afterwards. The wine list includes a pleasing range of prices and some unusual bottles. The enthusiastic restaurant manager's wine recommendation was spot on and was within the medium price range. The chef is supported by a team of friendly, helpful and well-trained staff who took an interest in their guests without being intrusive. Breakfast was lovely.

I was particularly impressed that a remark I must have made on booking (that I have a particular food I can't eat) was remembered when even I had forgotten I'd said it! So where this food ingredient appeared, the chef created an alternative version just for me. That was very thoughtful.

The Crown will be going back on our shortlist of venues for special meals in the UK. I have no hesitation in recommending it and I wish the new owner every success.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed here recently having been told the food was great and following good reviews on Tripadvisor. The food was extremely nice I can't say otherwise, but you should never leave the table feeling hungry which is exactly how my wife and I felt that evening. This was a return to the bad old days of nouvelle cuisine and we expressed our views openly next morning after a more filling breakfast. As someone who runs a publishing business and has worked with some of the best chefs in the country I have to admit to being disappointed. Good cooking is essential but so is the balance between quality and quantity and the Crown just hasn't got it right, not when we visited anyway.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My sister and I took my mum to The Crown this weekend for her birthday. It was my mum's choice and I was a little apprehensive at first. Yet I couldn't be more wrong! The service was exceptional, the food was beautiful and the wine and cocktails were delicious. My sister, mum and I all throughly enjoyed it and it was worth every penny. I would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Wiltshire england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was delighted to see that the crown had re opened,my husband and I visited when it was run by the previous owner for lunch a few times, and being to far for dinner took advantage of the march offer of dinner bed and breakfast, pleasantly surprised by the new decor which has created more room and is now bright and modern, our room was a little small but comfortable and spotless, warm welsh cakes on arrival, was very welcome. Our 7course tasting menu with wines to compliment each course was delightful, attention to detail,taste and presentation is defiantly worthy of a star, the service was friendly informative and efficient, and a lovely relaxed atmosphere, breakfast was very nice too. Such a great place to go for a special occasion. Can't wait to go back and taste more culinary delights.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

A lunch to celebrate a special birthday with a group of friends - the food was exceptional and the ambiance and service superb! This is definitely worth the money and the restaurant in the area to return to in the near future!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Penallt, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Just had our first visit since the re- opening. Nicely freshened up decore. Slightly disappointed at the limited choices for lunch (2 starters, 2 mains). Having said that the food quality was excellent and very pleasing in flavour complexity. For me the lack of "Michelin" flourish and "edge", is not necessarily a bad thing making it easier and more relaxing to just enjoy the food. We await prices when the current lunch offer ends!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Crown at Whitebrook? Share your experiences!