“Gastronomic haven” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Gastronomic haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed for one night in November. Had the tasting menu together with the selected wines. Food was excellent throughout and the wines had been carefully chosen to complement each dish. Service was first class with the manager taking time to explain each new wine as it was presented. Room was lovely, breakfast cooked to the same high standard as the meal the night before - overall fantastic and looking forward to the next visit

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ross-on-Wye
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We've been going to the Crown at Whitebrook since 1978. We've been when Roger and Sandra were there, the Christmas sisters with Marc as chef and James Sommerin as sous chef (whom we saw regularly at Phils' in Church Street picking up the groceries) and latterly with James as a (well deserved) Michelin star chef.

We had lunch there under the new chef/owner and it was wonderful - bright new decor, friendly service and very good food. I confess I am not a technical food snob (unlike our snobby London type !!) but I just know what I like and I liked this, a lot.

I am looking forward with relish to the 48 hour slow cooked beef cheek for Christmas lunch - I just need a chauffeur so I can have a drink or two.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Like some others on here, we had been under the previous owners and chef and I have to say that Chris has provided food which is superb (not sure what the critical reviewer ate!). Like the critical reviewer, we have eaten in top London restaurants and in Michelin starred ones elsewhere too, but we could little to find fault with in this one.

Front of house was very good - we had a warm welcome and were shown our room (number 1) which is a lovely big room (there is a problem with getting it warm - they did try their very best with this and, unfortunately, I think they have inherited a problem area here - good luck with sorting it out). The whole takeover of the restaurant has been fraught with difficulties for the new team - from getting a telephone system installed to engaging staff and getting the heating system sorted. However, apart from the heating, none of this showed and we had a lovely stay and gorgeous meal (every one of the tasting menu courses was superb - that 'wow' in the mouth that I expect when eating at these types of establishments).

Next morning, breakfast was very good – the pastries (pain au chocolat and croissants) were beautiful (freshly made early that morning). Well developed skills from Raymond Blanc’s tutelage I think. A slight niggle (as with the previous owners) – there is not vegetarian breakfast offered. I did ask and was offered scrambled eggs, mushroom and tomato. I asked if there was anything else and suggested (a little tongue in cheek) if there were baked beans and was told no. Imagine my surprise when the breakfast arrived, there were baked beans. Apparently the owner (Chris) had gone into his own apartment on site and got some of his own stock – that’s service. As there is a full vegetarian tasting menu each evening, a full vegetarian breakfast option would be good to have.

We will definitely be back – it was lovely.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had the excellent 3 course lunch deal. Good food, service and ambiance.
This place is a local treasure and we're very pleased that it has reopened and is just as nice as before.
Good luck to the new owners

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Well aware of a change of ownership, we booked an overnight with a la carte dinner on a Sunday evening which day and evening suits our way of life. We were greeted well by Steve and made very welcome and shown to a comfortable and well appointed bedroom. Wifi enabled us to catch up with some paperwork and enjoy relaxed surroundings. Two warmed through Welsh cakes with a cup of tea in the room helped the process. Later down to dinner - we were the only ones dining that evening - provided a private dining experience which we admired greatly. Good help with our choice of wines after a glass of champagne was welcome and offered with clear knowledge. Waitress service attentive, very friendly and efficient. Excellent service throughout. A restful night's sleep with the occasional sound of owls locally accompanying. Breakfast as anticipated delightfully served and presented. Critics of this place probably need to look carefully at themselves. We wish Chris every success with this venture and we will be back, definitely. Many foodie friends will hear too of our experience and some hopefully join us next time. Brilliant experience and one to be repeated - highly recommended.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was taken to the Crown for my birthday by my husband. We were warmly greeted and felt very well looked after throughout the evening. We had the A La Carte menu, which was all absolutely beautiful, seasonal, and something to be proud of for the new owners. We wish the owners all the luck in the world, they deserve to be successful. As other reviewers have suggested, slightly more substantial portions would've perhaps better reflected the descriptions of hearty autumnal fare on the menu. One issue with housekeeping: a sign for the toilets would help, as my husband mistakenly wandered into a store cupboard and emerged disorientated after an encounter with Henry the Hoover !

Thanks again for all making my birthday so special, you are a great team. Attention to detail all excellent. We hope to return when we visit the area once again. Good Luck.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Came here expecting James Sommerin and the Michelin star. Told he had left and it is under new management.
Sorry to put a downer on a new venture, but unless you are having a romantic meal for two, in which case the taster menu for £65 a head is probably good value, you lack the flexibility to succeed for a "foodie family" visit.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy to pay 50 quid for two courses if the quality, innovation and creativity is there. I'm a Londoner and regularly eat at the best restaurants, and came to this lovely location with high hopes, and very excited on our last night of half term. I love to make new discoveries and wish any young chef starting out in new premises well.
This restaurant though is very much work in progress, menu a little passé (at least no dreaded foam though), no real focus to the menu (a bit nouvelle cuisine in portion size here; a bit local produce there, kinda thing), and in some cases a simple lack of seasoning.
Over fussy, not that pretty presentation, and some of the flavour combinations eg. grapefruit sorbet and sweet praline slice (delicious in its own right) didn't work for me.
Service excellent. The wine guy/ maitre d clearly knows his stuff.
Feel a bit guilty writing this, but if you had parted with nearly £250 for a family of five you might also feel disappointed. I'll go to Richard Corrigan in Mayfair for that, be delighted, and still have change, and would have felt I have an experience and value for money as well.
You can't serve taster menu portions as a la carte either.
Put it this way, I have never felt moved to write one of these reviews before.
Sorry, but you need to be more flexible with the menu. Or keep it simple and just offer classics - bloody well.
It's neither fine dining, nor superior rustic/gastro pub. In this part of the world you need to do one or the other really well.
Call me a snobby London type, but these days, with all the Great British Menu and Masterchef stuff around, everyone is a critic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chris H, Owner at The Whitebrook, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, as a new business we look at all customer responses to help improve the restaurant. As we have recently taken over the business on 2nd October, we have publicised through our website, local and national press.

Our aim is a fine dining retreat, and we will always aim to cater for children and special dietary needs, but we don’t have a huge selection, because we try to keep our food fresh and local using the best ingredients that we can find.

Once again we thank you for your feedback and we will take on board your comments.

Kind Regards

Chris Harrod and Steven Mason

Been to The Whitebrook? Share your experiences!