We have been here twice before for two weeks both times. this time just one week. I go to this club for the diving. I ve been diving for 44 years. I stopped counting at 2000 dives and have been diving all over the world. Even though the reef is deteriorating, like most of the world, I still like this place. Dive sites are very close and offer some variety, some swim throughs, some walls, some reef. The quantity and variety of fish has decreased since my first trip here in 2000, but this is true of all the places I have returned to. The dive staff was great. Eric was chief of diving he was very helpful. My daughter had problems since she had not been diving in ten years, and they were very kind and helpful. The drive crew was much more relaxed than last time I was here. One nut job diver who ran out of air on the way OUT on a dive and had to buddy dive with the instructor TwICE was only give a slight chew out. In the past he would have been banned from the boat.
We got here two weeks after Hurricane Sandy. The club looked fine. They were not using the main diving dock regularly. It obviously had some damage. We took a two minute bus ride (yes two minutes) to a protected harbor and boarded the boat there. The good news was that it made the boat trip to the dives sites much shorter! We did not see any hammerheads this time. Maybe it was due to the time of year or recent storm. The two other times I was here was in may and June we saw them on about 1/2 the dives.
The chef du village was on vacation. Vincent was filling in and did a great job.As usual, the variety of food was very good. Deserts and bread were out ot sight! bad news, the Brazillian restaurant is gone! Damn it was great! Watling's was still there for a little bit fancier setting . As usual, the people who work at the club were excellent. remember, it is still the Bahamas , we lost power 3 times for up to two hours so go with the flow.
Club med has matured. There were a good number of seniors like myself who have been coming to the club for decades. My guess is 50/50 older to younger population. The club is still geared to young people but the seniors who show up at a club med are usually familiar with the club atmosphere.
There were more Europeans here than the past and the emphasis seems a little more European. For example, previously there was only one dive boat on Sunday because the Americans get in on Saturday and don't make dive arrangements until the next day. Now there is only one dive boat on Wed. Because it is when the French arrive.
If you want to drink a lot, this is the place for you. The wine is endless (red, white, rose) at lunch or dinner and not bad. If you want you can order vintage wine for $30-$60 a bottle but the house wine is plentiful and good! Mixed drinks , shots, beers, are included in the price and the bartenders are not stingy! I went to the sea bar , had 4 margaritas went back to nap and slept the night through! Go the the sea bar (near the SCUBA area) and ask Brooke (bartender) to introduce you to "Pierre" her ice machine. She loves the way it vibrates. She makes fantastic drinks , even if the tequila is something called "Loco" .
I really enjoy the atmosphere at Club Med. The G.O.S work really hard to see that you have a good time. Yeah, there is some corny Club Med stuff but go with the flow, it is VACATION!
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Columbus Isle Hotel San Salvador
- Club Med Columbus Isle Hotel
- Club Med San Salvador
- San Salvador Club Med
- Columbus Isle Club Med
- Club Med Columbus Isle Bahamas/San Salvador
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the refinement of the Bahamas during your stay at Columbus Isle. The heavenly all-inclusive resort of Columbus Isle is a paradise for diving and honeymoon vacations. Travel to Club Med Columbus Isle as a couple and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in this secluded resort on the Caribbean Sea. Indulge in a massage* by the ocean or relax by the pristine beach. As one of the top 5 wall diving destinations in the Caribbean, this luxurious hideaway is also the best luxury resort for couples. This environmentally-friendly resort also offers a wide range of activities and sports for adults. No matter what your travel expectations are, you'll find the amenities at Columbus Isle to be more refined than anywhere else: premium oceanfront accommodations, oceanfront massage* palapas, scuba diving* in one of the best diving spot worldwide, 3 gourmet dining venues including our All-day dining facility and a specialty restaurant. ... more less