My wife and I went for a 4 night get away and could not have had a better experience. The room was extremely modern, spacious with top line appliances and furnishings. (we had a one bedroom, 6101 overlooking the ocean/golf/marina)....the grounds were immaculately manicured and representative of a private tropical island resort. As for the restaurant, while considerate of some of the negative comments, our experience with service and food was superb. The new restaurant manager Brian was there from open to close and took the time to get to know you and take care of you. Friendly, honest and engaging both for service and on a general casual conversation. Based on some of the comments from previous reviews it would appear the have listened and delivered on improvement. Food and timeliness of service were not a problem.
Grand Isle is not Sandals which we did go and check out. It is a relaxing resort, with the same beach, but far enough away you feel fully isolated. There is no crowding at all around the pool and plenty of hidden spaces for lounging, all with shade umbrellas if needed, and equal amount of space on the beach. Pool service was extremely friendly and quick.
Ocean was warm and great for swimming.
While there we took advantage of a half day tour with Captain Jerry and while paying a little more, ($450) we experienced a personal tour of the islands. Unbelievable scenery, great views of the inlets, fish turtles etc.. water colours were amazing, a stop for great reef snorkelling and a final stop of the famous Chat and Chill for a beer and more local fish cooking. Take the tour!
We pre-ordered a few groceries for breakfast, yes it is expensive ($150 inclusive of the resort stocking charge)..but it’s an island...liquor and beer can be bought around the corner off the resort (cheaper prices than home) which you can get to by use of your condo’s own golf cart. In the end it was still cheaper than the all inclusive.
As a point to help with planning, cash will be needed for cabs, boat tours and other offsite activities or purchases...everything else is easily charged to your room, and the concierge can and will help with all planning. They called us a week in advance to ask if they could help with anything. A single ATM is located at the airport (Scotia Bank)...use that. US dollars and Bahamian dollars are used inter-changeably as the Bahamian dollar is pegged to the US at 1. Other ATMS are in George Town (about 25min from the resort, airport is about 15min).
In all, the trip exceeded our expectations and we would love to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, The Bahamas, Grand Isle Resort & Spa is a stunning ocean front resort. The exclusive gated community comprises 78 luxuriously appointed 1- to 4-bedroom villas that range from 1,250 sq. ft. to 5,200 sq. ft. and offer a fully equipped kitchen, spacious living area, high-end amenities, and extraordinary views. Getting around the resort is quick and convenient, as every villa is equipped with a personal golf cart. Grand Isle is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and is ideally suited for family holidays, romantic getaways, destination weddings and honeymoons, or for simply enjoying the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Grand Isle Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Isle Hotel Great Exuma
- Grand Isle Resort And Spa
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa Great Exuma, Bahamas