In planning our trip to Great Exuma, we were torn between booking at Sandals or the next highest rated property - Grand Isle. We wanted to try Sandals, particularly because it was adults-only. However it was also a lot more expensive, so we tossed a coin and booked at Grand Isle. As we drove from the airport we were apprehensive that we might have picked the wrong venue.
Wrong. Grand Isle is THE place to stay. It shares the same beach as Sandals and based an a reciprocity arrangement between resorts you can still go over to Sandals if you want.
But why would you? The Grand Isle resort is beautiful and (at least when we were there) very peaceful and uncrowned. No problem getting your favorite beach chair in the sun. Good restaurant and bar overlooking the pool. We walked over to Sandals and could hear the poolside rock music hundreds of yards away. No thank you. Back to Grand Isle and the solitude of a beautiful, quiet resort with all the amenities.
Grand Isle is a condominium community so all units are privately owned and in a rental pool. The unit we were in (1521) was lovely - new-looking Caribbean resort style furnishings, fully equipped kitchen. We couldn't have asked for more. However another unit we looked at had more tired furnishings and cheap deck furniture.
Our tips: pick Grand Isle over Sandals unless you like big crowds and loud music by the pool. Specify that you want a modernly furnished unit, We were told 1521 and 1522 were the most requested units. Also there is very little restaurant choice unless you have a rental car and the nearest decent grocery store is 25 minutes away by car. So you may want to bring your favorite cereal etc and pick up perishables on your way from the airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, The Bahamas, Grand Isle Resort & Spa is a stunning ocean front resort. The exclusive gated community comprises 78 luxuriously appointed 1- to 4-bedroom villas that range from 1,250 sq. ft. to 5,200 sq. ft. and offer a fully equipped kitchen, spacious living area, high-end amenities, and extraordinary views. Getting around the resort is quick and convenient, as every villa is equipped with a personal golf cart. Grand Isle is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and is ideally suited for family holidays, romantic getaways, destination weddings and honeymoons, or for simply enjoying the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Groupon, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Isle Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Isle Resort And Spa
- Grand Isle Hotel Great Exuma
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa Great Exuma, Bahamas