“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Great Exuma
Lethbridge, Canada
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We chose Club Peace & Plenty for it's location in Georgetown and because of it's history and character. It proved to be much better than we had expected. All of the hotel has been newly painted and it is immaculately clean. We had a waterfront room that has double doors that open onto the bay and it's own very private balconey. The food at the hotel is amazing. Our only comment would be that they add a 15% gratuity automatically and I agree that the cook definitely deserves it but the waitresses have no motivation to provide good service. You have to remember to be really specific when you're ordering and you have to keep asking for water etc because they don't check on you. On the other hand, Doc Lermon, at the bar has enough personality for all of them and he more than makes up for the deficiency in the waitresses. Magnolia at the front desk also has a great personality & was extremely helpful. We rented scooters from Bal's Sound and toured the island & found fantastic beaches that were totally deserted. We took the free ferry from the hotel to Stocking Island & we weren't really impressed by it - there is definitely a great beach but really nothing else. We heard from others that we should have asked to be dropped at Chat & Chill on the other end of Stocking Island but we were happy using the scooter because it gave us more flexibility. We went bonefishing with bonefishstevie.com & that was really good. We caught 5 or 6 small bonefish, saw a shark & caught a jack. If you want great conch fritters go to the Arowak Club in Williamstown. Everyone on the island is friendly and willing to help with whatever they can. It was a great holiday and we'd do it again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I statyed at the Peace and Plenty twice in April. Our room was 20 hard years overdue for a renovation. A traveler would need to spend a good deal of time and money at the bar to overlook the shortcomings of this facility. The staff were great, the food was good which bumped this review up from terrible to poor.

• Stayed April 2010
Norwich, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We just returned yesterday from Peace and Plenty. I promised to write a review upon our return and I'm holding good to that promise. We absolutely loved Peace and Plenty. Was it 5 star? No, if you want that then go to Sandals. But if you're looking for a great relaxing time with good service, clean and adequate rooms, good food and total relaxation - Peace and Plenty is the place. Glen at the bar gets my total thumbs up for his service. Not only was it the best Pina Colada I've ever tasted, I swear Glen (also the Island EMT) saved my life after a few too many drinks and a trip to the pool. Not being a heavy drinker, the tropical drinks hit me hard. We rented a boat from the place across the street and I would highly recommend this. The snorkling is amazing. Now, the Chat 'n Chill is wonderful, a page right out of Jimmy Buffet but beware, it is a trap. The food and drinks are very plentiful and unless you have an extremely loving husband like mine, the trip back and the hours following could be painful. We had a great time at the Chat 'n Chill talking to the owner, eating and of course drinking. You could easily sit your chair in the water and spend the day perfectly content. All of the staff were very friendly. Our air conditioner broke the first night and it was promptly fixed after I reported it to the front desk. I'm assuming a part had gone bad because the broken part was left on our balcony table! Who cares, it was fixed immediately and we had no other problems. The room is a bit old and could use updating, especially the bathroom but we spent so little time there it just didn't matter. I'm glad I didn't heed the warnings of the negative reviews here. Peace and Plenty is the place to go for the best getaway. We met a lot of people and enjoyed it immensely. We will be going back...Again, many thanks to Glen!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Fredon, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Was looking for perfect father/son vacation with FISHING the primary activity with snorkling and relaxing next in line. My son is 13. I wanted a clean comfy bed and shower, access to meals (didn't want to cook), and decent bonefish guides plus my own extended boat rental for "do it yourself" fishing. The Peace and Plenty was FAR more than just a comfy place to sleep and shower. The rooms were excellent, with my own AC to regulate which worked fine. The food was excellent and maybe only a little more pricey than an average New Jersey restaurant. The service was excellent. Neville the manager really nailed it for me when I said what I wanted. He hooked me up with Stevie Ferguson - a great bonefish guide. He takes you on the "other" or West side of island. If you never caught a fish there - still worth it for the scenery. You will not find more tropical settings with as many shades of blue clear water anywhere on earth. Despite 30 mph winds, he spotted the fish when we could not, and we caught many nice bones and he was even flexible enough to just anchor in a channel and let us catch snappers for 2 hrs until the cooler was full. After two days of that - we rented a 17 foot boston whaler from Minns watersports. The boat ran excellent all week and even in high wind it was enough boat to safely fish the harbor and out to the harbor entrance. We caught many very large barracuda and all the nice lane and yellowtail snappers we wanted. Then we discovered great action fishing under moving birds, as they chased schools of spanish mackeral, assorted jacks, small tuna (bonito), and even a school of Mahi Mahi that we could not get to bite. Had several mystery fish "smoke" our reals, and one confirmed 30 lb plus Jack Crevalle inhaled a small snapper being reeled in. The other mystery giants we suspect were large Cero or King Mackeral based on the speed.... Big fish can and do abound here. It is an untapped "do it yourself" fishery to say the least. If you are an accomplished fly fisherman you would do well at casting small minnow immitations to the many schools of breaking fish under the birds - and you never know what you will catch. Enough about the fishing. If I just wanted to go to a hotel with a great view, great staff, and all you need and nothing that you don't really need - the Peace and Plenty would be just perfect. The pool and outdoor bar overlook the harbor which changes color by the hour with the clouds and sun overhead. You can just jump off the dock into the torquise 8-10 foot water if you want as well. I can't wait to come back . Talk to Neville about your needs and I'm sure he can accomodate you or put you in touch with the right people. Even if you don't fish - rent the boat and find the great snorkling - so many reefs and isolated coral heads to explore, and going over to stocking island is a whole new paradise. Nothing beat's the freshly made Conch Salad across the harbor at the Chat-n-Chill. I may regret writing this about the fishing if I come back in a year or two and find it over-exploited, but it's so remote hear that may not likely happen.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

We went to Club Peace & Plenty on Friday night after being invited with a gentle man who was an occasional visitor. The BBQ was great, i had lovely grilled fish and mac & cheese. Bar staff were friendly, but the drinks are okay.
The breakfast was average. They didn't have any breakfast special that was listed on the menu. Very prime location, let you use internet if you are eating there or something.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I've stayed at the "P 'n P" for a couple weeks every year for around 8 years. I love it. It really is "the" place to stay on Exuma, if for no other reason than Doc's poolside bar and Glen's bar. If you like Nassau, or Paradise island, or casinos, or being pampered, etc., then this is definitely not for you. Georgetown, Exuma is laid back, relaxing, friendly and safe. Will there be something small wrong with your room? Maybe. Might you have to wait a while to place a food order or get the check? Probably. These aren't "faults" of Peace & Plenty, they are just the way things are here, and in much of the undeveloped world. Just relax. PnP is the perfect place to get away from it all, and just R-E-L-A-X... You can fall out of bed, grab towels at the front desk, and hop on their ferry to the island beach for the day. You can literally walk across the street and rent a boat at Minn's Water Sports - a 15' Boston Whaler is $100/day. If you do that, you can lunch at Chat 'n Chill and find beaches that are crowded if you aren't the only one on them. PnP is not perfect, but it is the center of social activity in Georgetown. You don't go to Exuma for the food or service, or shopping or golf or casinos. You go there to be with friendly locals and visitors and to relax and get away from it all. For that, it is absolutely perfect. I hope no one reads this review, as I'd prefer if everyone went to Sandals somewhere, or Paradise Island, and left me my gem of an island all to myself.

• Liked — quiet charm and relaxation, oh, and the bars
  • Disliked — Service can be spotty, but I don't mind, as it is the same everywhere there.
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thomasville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

If you are a couple looking for a quiet and romantic get away, this is it. The complex is showing its age but that is part of the charm. In the room that we had, I could literally lie in bed and look at the water change colors outside of our sliding glass doors to our balcony overlooking Elizabeth Harbour and Stocking Island. The pool is small but how big of a pool do you need for a 33 room hotel. There is also an inside and outside bar next too the pool. The restaurant on site is fabulous and I also recommend taking the 5 minute boat ride across Elizabeth Harbour to Stocking Island to the only restaurant there, it is absolutley fabulous. The restaurant will actually come and pick you up in a boat at the dock there at the hotel, what more could you ask for. As far as things to do, there is a straw market, several gift shops, grocery store, restaurant and other things to do with in walking distance from the hotel. If your looking for a place to relax, this is it, but if your looking for a hopping night life, then go somewhere else.

• Liked — The Seclution
  • Disliked — Communication (Phone, Internet, etc...)
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Club Peace & Plenty Exuma Island? Share your experiences!