“Memorable Week at Emerald Bay!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Sandals Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Sandals Emerald Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Queen's Highway, Emerald Bay, EX29142, Great Exuma (Formerly Four Seasons Resort Great Exuma at Emerald Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2 Rounds of Free Golf!
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Great Exuma
Toronto, Canada
“Memorable Week at Emerald Bay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I've been meaning to write this review for a while. We stayed at Sandals Emerald for a week in March and had a such a great trip. The airport was really small, but since ours was the only flight landing, we got though quickly. In fact, our flight landed at 11:00 and we were having lunch by the beach by noon!
Our Room:
We booked a walkout butler suite directly on the beach. We were upgraded to larger suite, which was great. We were literally steps from the one the most beautiful beaches I have even had the privilege to be on!! WOW!! You have to see it to believe it. One warning: lots of sands fleas. I got so many bites, but of course my husband got none! Go figure…
Service:
We had 3 butlers: Garth, Anastasia and Cecil. They were all great, but Garth was over the top! When we walked into the lobby, my husband immediately recognized Garth from Sandals Whitehouse so after a very excited reunion, we found out he was our butler. It just couldn't get any better! The three of them made our stay so amazing, with the creative towel decorations (the alligator made by Garth and the two people under the umbrella created by Cecil were so cool!). They also brought lunch to where ever we were hanging out and provided with a cooler full of some cold pops (as we Canadians like to call them). We also met another butler there Ekron, who was also lovely to talk to. I also remember going to cafe one day and ordering some coffee and treats to take back to the room. Then I realized "what was I thinking, how am going to carry all this?" Well, wasn't there another employee there who saw my struggles, put all my stuff on his tray and took it to my room for me!! Friendly and smiling the whole time. That was typical of Emerald Bay.
Food, etc:
Most of the restaurants were very good. We were a little disappointed with the buffet one (Bahama Bay) but the rest were great. To be honest, we had a breakfast delivered to our room most mornings so we could enjoy sitting on our patio while enjoying the beach view. The beach BBQ was fantastic, best food at a Sandals outdoor event I've ever had. Crab legs, need I say more… The returning guest dinner was also excellent. Make sure you go if you get invited!
Pools:
I mentioned the beach is breathtaking, but there are also 2 great pools there. The main pool has comfy couches in it, pretty cool! The quite pool is also nice. Be sure to enjoy them both.
Also:
And be sure to sign up for the returning guest program, the discounts and perks are work it. I always get great prices when I book through Sandals, but there are some tricks to it. Email me if you want to know the details and you don't mind planning your trips ahead of time. We are certainly looking forward to going back to Emerald Bay sometime in the new few years. We are going to be Diamond level guests with our next trip to Sandals Antigua and now we'll qualify for a free week's stay. We love Sandals and always count down the time to our next trip!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent Sandals trip.
It sounds like you had an amazing week getting familiar with our beautiful property in Exuma and we are so happy to hear that you returned home with wonderful memories of your time spent with us. Our staff will be so proud to hear of your kind mentions and that they were able to make your stay such a pleasant one. We look forward to hosting your next Caribbean vacation and hope you will "soon come back" to Sandals Emerald Bay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We must have been one of the few couples there on a first visit to a Sandals resort. The age range was delightfully surprising too from the 20 something's up to the 70's. The rooms are very good with quiet air conditioning and lovely bathrooms. Gardens are manicured and magnificent and the beach is fabulous with adequate sun beds discreetly spaced out at the top of the beach leaving wide open spaces unlike many other resort beaches. We used the catamarans to sail around the bay on many occasions. The main pool with a swim up bar is buzzy and the quiet pool just what it says with small gazebos to give shade complete with large fans to create a welcome breeze. There is a wide range of eateries including Bare Foot on the Beach for seafood including endless lobster, Pizza bar, Drunken Duck pub with authentic British pub food, a patisserie and the Italian and French restaurants that require bookings. Food quality was generally good to very good with matching service. The room fridge was refilled each day with water and wine, a luxury! We had the occasional glitch with service but it was quickly fixed. Somehow our room was not made up after the first night until we complained and thereafter it was fixed early each morning and that was fine. On the day that we booked out we asked for an extension did not have to leave our room until 3:00 pm with no extra charge. It was much like being on a cruise with many fewer people and much more space and no bills for drinks or service. The golf course is splendid following the coastline and the professional very helpful. Trips to the uninhibited islands are unforgettable. We enjoyed the stay and will probably return.

Room Tip: All rooms face the bay and some have butler service that we did not book. Ground floor is more expen...
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited this resort in July. It is the perfect place to go if you are looking for a couples oriented vacation.The grounds are beautiful. Everywhere you look there is amazing landscaping. The pool is great. We did not have a hard time getting a chair, even at 2pm in the afternoon. There are always floats and clean towels available. The swim up bar is such a cool environment. The staff was always so friendly & fun-- music, dancing, and activities available. If you are looking for a quieter place to relax, you should visit the quiet pool. They have large cabanas for you to lay in & they have celling fans. There is no music, & it is the perfect place to take a nap. The beach was also a great place to hang out. If the water permits it, they will take out catamaran rides. You can also take out water bikes, kayaks, & paddle boards. The night life is pretty good. You can go to the piano bar, or if you're looking for a more club-like feel you can visit the Drunken Duck pub. The staff was very helpful the entire time. Our room service was great as well. The only problem we had was with the food. I am not a picky person but I was by no means impressed. The first day you get there, you need to make restaurant reservations. Otherwise, it will all be booked up & you won't get a good dining experience. I was really disappointed by the fact that there isn't a place to eat at all hours of the day. One morning we were going on an excursion so, we ate breakfast at 9. We went to go get a bite to eat around 11:45 before we went & nothing was open. I ended up being sick the entire time because I did not get to eat. Other than that, it was a good experience.

Room Tip: We had a standard room in building # 7 on the third floor. We got the beach view without the beach f...
Clarkston, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This was the most disappointing "all inclusive" we have vacationed at. If anyone thinks this resort was wonderful then they have clearly not been to any other all inclusives. The service is horrible. When you finally get someone at the pool bar to wait on you, the drinks taste wrong. They need to school the bartenders with a mixologist. One day while having lunch at the Bahama Bay, I asked two different waitresses for a coke, then still waited for 20 min and finished my lunch before getting my Coke. There are no waitresses bringing any food or drinks to people at the pol or the beach like they do at other all inclusives. I will say that the rooms were nice and the water is absolutely beautiful. It is too bad that the service and the attitudes of the workers is so bad. On the day we checked out, we were asked to leave our rooms by 9:00 am even though our plane did not leave until 1:30. Taxis took all of the Americans to the airport at 10:00 am. We sat in the disgusting airport "bar" outside in the heat while being bitten by sand fleas for 3 hours. That was the clincher. We will not be returning to a Sandals resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Hello Amy,
We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations during your visit at Sandals Emerald Bay. It seems you experienced some inconsistencies in regards to our service and we sincerely apologize for any challenges that may have arisen during your stay. Our friendly and helpful staff members are often the reason our guests return year after year and we are deeply saddened to note that your experience was not similar. We appreciate you reaching out to us about your visit as we strive constantly provide our guests with high quality vacations and we realize there is always room for improvement on our part. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager and his team for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We value all of your input and we hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to serve you more efficiently.
Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Lovely place but the service.....except for the butlers it's horrible! Was at the Italian restaurant tonight and the food was great but when it was time for desert we went to the desert bar and dirty dishes were occupying all the seat so we waited a good five minutes and a lady server came, look at us and I thought that she understood that we were waiting for somebody to clear a few places for us....she look at us and started a conversation with the cook and another server! Well I then asked her to clean a few stalls for us and she gave me the dirtiest look I ever got in a restaurant like I was disturbing her! We then said well our big money that we spent here I guess is no good so we left. That's to bad because the food is good a both french and Italian restaurant but the service.....Oh yes and by BTW if you are thirsty in the pool well don't go to the pool bar you might die of thirst because there is no structure there and you will wait forever and what's the worst about it is that they see you and continue there conversations amongst the server and laugh like you are not there and this is when it's not even busy! To bad because this is definitely our last time in Sandals! One more thing to they really think that we are dumb enough to believe that we save 65% when we purchase a trip there? Just saying!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Emerald Bay.
We are happy to hear that overall your experience has been an enjoyable one but we were quite saddened to hear that you were a disappointed by some aspects of your stay. Our service has been the highlight of many reviews on Trip Advisor, which leaves us quite disappointed that your experience was not indicative of the norm. For this, we apologize. I encourage you to reach out to our Guest Services staff at the resort. They will do their utmost to see that they resolve any concerns you may have and offer the amazing experience and stellar service for which we are known.
Westbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Why Sandals Emerald Bay:

Last year, my wife and I visited and reviewed our first Sandals' resort -- Royal Plantation, in Jamaica. We were extremely impressed with this all-inclusive resort and would have gladly returned. But, being travel writers, we are obliged to visit and review new places, so we decided to book a different Sandals. We both enjoy playing golf and consider it a service to other golfers to review the courses at which we have played. As we were looking at pictures of the different resorts, we saw some amazing pictures of Emerald Bay Beach and the Beachfront accommodations. When we saw a picture of the Sandals Grande Emerald Bay Golf Course, surrounded by the exquisite waters of Emerald Bay, we turned to each other and in unison said, "Let's go there!" We have recently returned from our stay and are pleased to submit a condensed review. For a more in-depth description, with a bunch of travel tips and pictures, please search for and visit our website, Intimacy Travel. Our goal, when we travel, is to visit and write about the most intimate, exotic, erotic places for couples -- "When It's Just the Two of You," as we say. When you tell your friends that you're going to Exuma, most will probably not know where Exuma is -- a good tip-off that it's going to pass the exotic "test."

Traveling to Exuma:

There are no direct flights from New York, another exotic indication, but there are direct flights from Toronto on Air Canada. Are you listening Jet Blue? In any event, the travel was easy - a quick flight to Miami on American Airlines, another short flight from Miami to Great Exuma. Sandals picks you up and whisks you away and in ten minutes you are ready to enjoy the hotel. And enjoy it, you will!

Our Arrival and Butler Service

We were greeted by the General Manager, Jeremy Mutton, a charming gentleman who is not beyond getting right in there with the staff and helping with your arrival. We had a particularly large size traveling case for our golf clubs, and Jeremy got right down on the ground and helped me "wrestle" with it to dig out my sneakers and some other items that had been stuffed in there, before stowing the bag and clubs for use, later. His top priority is service, and it shows. He leads by example as we found the entire staff devoted to serving their guests.

While they were putting the finishing touches on our accommodation, we were given a tour of the resort by Valentino, one of three butlers assigned to us. We were first introduced to the butler service last year when we stayed at Sandals Royal Plantation, which is an all-butler resort. We are “do it ourselves” kind of people, so we would have never opted for butler service. But having experienced it at Royal Plantation, we would not book a Sandals resort without it. We highly recommend this service, as it will enhance your vacation experience exponentially. We call them our "genies," as they strive to fulfill all your wishes and desires. Instead of a "magic lamp," you will be given a cell phone. Just press the button and your butler will answer. Unlike a "real" genie, "wishing for more wishes" IS allowed!

The Grounds:

The grounds are immaculately kept with great attention to every detail. We enjoyed the main, larger signature pool with swim-up bar, but being Intimacy Travel, we gravitated toward the more intimate, Quiet Pool, which has its own walk-up bar. Both pools have well-equipped cabanas and plenty of chaise lounges and Jacuzzis. We didn't have any problem securing a cabana or a float, as was mentioned in some Trip Advisor reviews and contrary to some comments, butlers are expressly forbidden from securing these particular items for their guests. Surrounding the Main Pool are other activities, such as croquet, shuffleboard, bocce, table tennis, and even an over-sized chess board. There is also a Games Room with several billiard tables and board games.

The Beach

Given a choice between a pool and a beach, we personally prefer a beach, especially when it is a beautiful one like Emerald Bay. Pictures really do not do it justice and no picture can reflect the absolute perfect powdered feel of the sand or the temperature of the water and air. You can ask your butler to set up a beach cabana for you, as these are portable and there was never a problem securing chaise lounge chairs. You can also ask your butler to bring whatever food or drink you want to you on the beach or at the pool. There is one thing you should know about that beach. Because of the waves, you won’t find the water to be crystal clear like some other Caribbean beaches, but, on the other hand, the sound of the surf can’t be beat, especially as you are dozing off on your chaise lounge. There is a “secret” way to find an easy-access, crystal clear, sandy beach, which you can find by searching our review online at Intimacy Travel. Guaranteed to add "erotic" to your vacation description.

Our Room:

We selected a Beachfront Junior Butler Suite on the second floor with a balcony and a wonderful view of the Caribbean Sea. We found the king-sized bed to be ultra comfortable, along with some turn-down surprises from our butlers. There are plenty of towels and toiletries, a lighted magnifying mirror and hair dryer. Kudos to the housekeeping staff for keeping our room well-supplied and well-kempt. The room comes with all the amenities you might expect from a luxury resort, including bathrobe and slippers and a mini-bar stocked with all your favorites, which you would have requested ahead of your stay, using the preference form, sent to you prior to your arrival. Having been soothed by the sounds of the sea throughout the night, we opted to have breakfast on our beachfront balcony the first morning. “Dressed” in our Sandal’s robes and slippers, sipping Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (one of the best blends in the world) and enjoying fresh eggs, French toast, and fruit, we planned our day.

Dining:

There are a number of choices when it comes to dining. Il Cielo, an Italian restaurant, serves an a la carte breakfast and white-glove a la carte dinner. La Parisienne, the French restaurant at the resort serves an al a carte white-glove dinner. Bahama Bay offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffet breakfast features made-to-order omelets and smoothies. Each lunch showcases a different “theme” cuisine from around the world. Our first meal was at Barefoot By The Sea. Before our initial tour, our Butler escorted us here for a quick lunch. We took off our shoes, planted our feet in the sand and had the Grouper Sandwich with some of the best French Fries. They were so good, we didn’t even add ketchup. But we returned for dinner for some other great seafood dishes. Café de Paris is dedicated to desserts and coffee. Our favorite was the Caramel Frappuccino. All the desserts were scrumptious. Since Intimacy Travel’s motto is “When It’s Just the Two of You,” and not “When It’s Just the Crew of You,” we tend to stay away from the “bar scene.” So we didn’t make it to The Drunken Duck, a British-style pub, but we did hear a lot of laughter and “good times” coming from its vicinity. The same hearty sounds came from the Il Cielo lounge, with the nightly sing-a-longs and karaoke.

Dinner on the beach is optional, but not for us and we loved it! Accompanying our grilled lobster dinner was a cool sea breeze and a full moon. Food for the heart and soul as well as the palette. As the evening progressed, the breeze got much cooler, and without a sweater or jacket we were getting uncomfortable. I was ready to get up and walk a considerable distance to our hotel room to get some outerwear, when I realized I could just call our butler and ask him to bring a jacket and sweater to us from our room. We did, and within minutes, he was at our table with the requested items, and we were perfectly content, again.

So How Was The Food?

While the overwhelming majority of reviews for Sandals Emerald Bay are outstanding, there were some complaints, including some negative reviews about the food, which we found particularly odd. Of course, taste is subjective, but we would like to inform our readers that we live on Long Island, New York, in close proximity to New York City. We have access to and have availed ourselves of the best restaurants. We have traveled to Italy several times, again, dining in the best restaurants. While “there is no accounting for taste,” you can be assured that our pallets would be considered sophisticated. We found the food at this Sandals and also at Sandals Royal Plantation in Jamaica to be excellent, and not just excellent for an all-inclusive, but excellent on its own merit. In our reviews at Intimacy Travel we go into more detail about each restaurant and the many varieties of dishes we tasted along with our personal recommendations.

Golf

When you have butler service, you also have unlimited golf and we took advantage of it, along with the perfect weather, by playing a total of six times during our eight-day stay. The really great thing is that the golf course is right on the premises, so you don’t need to take a taxi, wait for a ride, or any of that. Just leave your clubs at the clubhouse and walk over. There are no caddies to pay or tip as with some of the other resorts, however you will pay $30 for the cart if you're a single, $40 for a couple. The course is challenging enough to keep you coming back day after day, but a really great time and energy saver is the fact that you can drive your cart up to your ball, no matter where it is (excluding the putting green, rough and ocean). The back nine is magnificent, with turquoise water and splashing waves keeping you company the whole way. If your golf game "beats you up" a bit, make a reservation at the Red Lane Spa for some soothing. I didn't need it, but my wife availed herself and enjoyed it.

We didn't take the "Thunderball 007" excursion which everyone on Trip Advisor raves about, but we chose "the road less traveled," which you can read about in our Intimacy Travel review.

Recognitions

We feel compelled to mention that it takes numerous hard-working people “behind the scenes” to make an exceptional experience for “just the two of you.” The administration and staff at Sandals Emerald Bay are service “virtuosi,” delighting in going “above and beyond” to fulfill your desires.

Stephen Clarke, Butler Manager, who was as professional as he was affable, attended to every detail of our stay and went out of his way to make our experience at Sandals Emerald Bay a very special and personal one. He is the “genie-in-chief.”

We weren’t at the resort ten minutes, when Patric Loeser, Food and Beverage Manager, not only recognized us from our stay at Sandals Royal Plantation last year, but remembered specific details about us. We had several delightful conversations with Patric during our stay. He could be seen constantly going from one eatery to the other, supervising and speaking with guests to ensure their satisfaction.

Sharline Adderly Lloyd, Director of Guest Relations, with whom we had the pleasure of sitting next to at the Sandals Returning Guests Dinner, connected with us on so many levels, professionally and personally and was instrumental in introducing us to Sno Watson, with whom we had a productive conversation about how we can assist the Sandals Foundation. We would encourage our readers to support this very worthwhile charity.

While at the Returning Guests Dinner, we were treated to the music of Shamond Smith, an extremely talented saxophonist and flutist, who on one evening during the week, provided sweet and sultry music on the Sandals Tower, overlooking the Main Pool, where we and other guests did some slow dancing and relaxing by the surrounding fire pits.

Pandora, at Il Cielo, started our mornings with breakfast and a warm smile and we were fortunate on our last day to engage her in some deeper philosophical conversations about life.

The qualities of the dinners at Il Cielo were only enhanced by the service and wonderful personalities of Sheira and Simeon, along with the artistry of our dolce chef, Aldin

Even our tour of the Yacht Club was extra special because Hotel Manager, David Latchimy, with whom we quickly connected . . . in French and Italian.

Nebat Williams, manager at the Island Routes desk was professional and gentlemanly as he took a personal interest in our Castaways tour experience.
Kevan at the Shark Shack always provided a much needed “can do” pep talk before sending us to tee off on the challenging golf course.

We met a very special Sandals repeat guest, Derick, who has stayed a total of 197 nights at Sandals’ resorts. His youthfulness of spirit hid both his chronological age of 88 and the grief of his recently departed wife. Derick raved of the support he received from management and staff, who treated him not only as a beloved colleague but as family.

Enough cannot be said for the extraordinary daily care our butlers, Valentino, Hilton and Samson, provided. Under the management of Stephen and supervision of Darrion, these hard-working butlers never ceased to amaze, undeterred by the largest or smallest request. You just never know what surprises you are going to find when you walk into your room.

We have yet to see, not only a staff that works harder, but also a management who get right “in there” with their staff to serve their guests and the resort.

How it is that in a week’s time, so many genuine friendships can be formed is part of the “magic” of Sandals Emerald Bay and a testament to the exceptional quality of the individuals as well as the hiring acumen of the Sandals Corporation.

Things can and do go “wrong” even at the most prestigious hotels, and you can read all the complaints for any resort on Trip Advisor. The service ethic we found at Sandals Emerald Bay was that when anything went wrong, if the guests were disappointed, the staff was dismayed, and would do anything they could to rectify or remedy the situation. We saw this first hand when we just mentioned to our waitress that we found our lamb to be a little too salty for our taste. You would think the culinary world was coming to an end, as we were offered a replacement, other entrée, or anything else they could do. Without asking, the manager came over to our table to inquire if she could do anything for us “to make it right.” We didn’t find this necessary, which seemed to make her more upset that we were not 100% satisfied.

When the Main Pool bar temporarily ran out of CO2 for the draft beer pump, we observed that the repeater guests just sat comfortably, socializing, knowing with complete confidence that beer would shortly arrive from somewhere, which, indeed it did, as members of the staff scattered to other locations to fulfill the guests’ orders. At Sandals, it seems wherever you “plant yourself,” you will be accommodated.

So you can listen to the few naysayers and opt out of Sandals Emerald Bay, which will leave more room for the rest of us or you can trust this and countless other positive reviews of seasoned travelers and have a glorious experience at Sandals Emerald Bay in exotic, erotic Exuma.

Parker, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Not so impressed. The food was average and the staff was average. The beach and water were gorgeous. There are hidden fees and the staff made many mistakes with our food and drink orders and then were "bothered" to have to correct their mistakes. They even tried to charge us for someone else's tour that we did not go on. It took over half an hour to clear that up and when they realized it truly was their mistake, no apology. With so many beautiful beaches and great resorts in this world, I don't think that I'll be returning to this one any time soon.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Stacy,

Thank you for posting about your stay. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the stunning, natural beauty of Sandals Emerald Bay but we always strive to exceed our guest's expectations and we were disappointed that we fell short of this goal. I sincerely apologize for any miscommunication that occurred during your stay and if you felt that your concerns were overlooked, as this is never our intention. Our resort management team will look into the challenges you spoke of in regards to our service and take the appropriate action to ensure that we do not receive similar feedback in the future.We hope that after addressing your concerns and making the necessary adjustments, you will afford us an opportunity to showcase the true hospitality and beauty of our resort during a future stay.

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!