“Breathtaking Resort , Absolutely Perfect.....Can't Wait to Go Back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort

You added Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort to your Saves list
Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Queen's Highway, Emerald Bay, EX29142, Great Exuma (Formerly Four Seasons Resort Great Exuma at Emerald Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Booking Bonus!!
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Great Exuma
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NY
“Breathtaking Resort , Absolutely Perfect.....Can't Wait to Go Back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I want to first start off by saying that I am a Ritz Carlton, ST. Regis and Four Seasons traveler. Every day for the last 3 months I would get up and read Trip Advisor for Sandals , Emerald Bay. I couldn't wait to read the reviews, because after all I was spending thousands of dollars and wanted to make sure I was going to a 5 star resort and of course making the right decision. All the reviews would be 5 star, and then out of no where a so so review. I would then second guess my decision and was driving myself and my husband crazy.

Well...... The truth is, I guess I found out that no matter what ,there will always be that one person who feels compelled to complain, nitpick , refuse to be happy no matter how perfect something is, and is always looking for problems. How anyone could give this resort a negative review in my opinion is reckless and unfair to people like me who truly rely on Trip Advisor. The biggest gripe I have are the people complaining on Trip Advisor about getting butler service and the cost. You knew the cost before you went, why are you complaining now. These Butlers are worth every penny and make your vacation at Sandals "Over the Top"

From the moment we arrived at Sandals, we were enveloped with smiles, warmth, and sincerity by all the employees. We were greeted with Champagne, Cold towels, and offered bottled water.

The resort and the beach- Breathtaking, Beautiful, Exquisite, Magnificent

Restaurants- We NEVER had a problem once finding a restaurant open. There was always somewhere to eat, including 24 hour room service. All the restaurants were fabulous IL Cielo, La Parisienne, Bahama Bay, Dino's Pizza.
The service at all restaurants were 5 star. They greeted you with a smile and made sure you were happy. My husband and I found the food to be very very good. Perhaps the people who find issue with the staff here are the same guests that walk around without a smile and have that "entitlement' issue. In addition, while we were here at Sandals Emerald Bay there were a handful of celebrities so that should tell you something right there.

Special Thanks To Stephen Clarke the Butler Manager (who should probably be running the resort) for the Most Unbelievable, Beautiful Romantic Stay and creating the most beautiful memories I will treasure with my husband. We had the pleasure of meeting Stephen when we first arrived. To say that he is respected by the entire hotel staff and management would be an understatement. Stephen has won employee of the year a few times, which comes as no surprise. His enthusiasm, love and compassion for people shines through. What an asset to Sandals!

We would also like to recommend The Finest Butlers Sandals Has to offer: Logesh and Quentin. If you are getting a butler room, Logesh and Quentin made our stay even more special with their little surprises everyday. They also showed up with food and drinks, whether we were at the pool or the beach. These guys truly bust their a** to make sure you are extraordinarily happy, whether its getting you cold water, a drink, lunch on the beach, breakfast in bed, Drawn baths, taking me to the nurse (Which by the way is free of charge) or even making bunny rabbits out of towels! Thank You Again Logesh, Quentin and Garrett!

I just want everyone reading this to know that Sandals Emerald Bay is by far one of the most beautiful resorts with far superior customer service. We can't wait to go back. As far as the people with their negative comments, Ignore them. They are just unpleasable........

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are thrilled that you not only enjoyed your stay immensely but walked away with many special memories and friendships! Sandals Emerald Bay is a fabulous resort set in paradise that includes luxurious amenities and fine dining! This coupled with the friendliest staff makes our guests' stay an unforgettable one!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

It amazes me to read the reviews for the same time frame that we were at this resort and that people cound have found negative things to say. We have been to many of the other Sandals resorts (St. Lucia, Ocho Rios, Whitehouse and Antigua) and have travelled extensively throughout the Carribbean and thought we would try Exuma the end of August just to get away. At the end of our week we couldn't think of one negative thing about our stay.

Resort is very clean and well kept. This Sandals goes above and beyond as far as personal attention. Managers were always walking around the resort stopping to chat and knew us by name.
The restaurants rotate throughout the week as some evenings one would be closed to have a night off as the resort was not full. Not a problem though -- when we arrived, we made our dinner reservations (at the Italian and the French - only two you needed to reserve), booked a golf tee time and made our spa reservation all before we were even shown to our room.

The beach at this resort is amazing. Very wide with white sand. Clear, warm blue water --- a little seaweed where the water sports are but that's a result of the waves but the resort would rack every day. We signed up for snorkelling and they pick you up from the front of the resort and take you just down the road to the marina -- you could walk its not far. They took us out to a reef not far and the snorkelling was excellent. Even better than in Hawaii.

David L. (hotel manager) and Satar (butler manager) were always available to answer any questions we had and could always be found walking the resort and stopping to greet the guests and see how your day was going. We were always greeted by name and with a smile!

We found the staff all very friendly and went out of their way to stop to chat and were very good about sharing information about themselves or the resort if asked. We got to be on first name basis with more staff at this resort than any other ones we've been to.

Leslie gave us a great orientation our first morning and after that made a point to stop and say hi throughout the week and remind us about the beach party, chocolate buffet and foundation charity night.
We had great service at all the restaurants -- Anastasia (French), Jaquat and Shanteel (Italian), Jewels at the Barefoot and Kimberly at the dessert bar.The Italian restaurant has a dessert bar that you can sit at and watch them make your dessert after dinner -- or you can just ask to go in there for dessert if you want and there is room. Never seen a dessert bar anywhere so it was something different to experience.

Food was good. Usually like to order fresh fish when we are away -- but didn't realize that with us travelling in August, grouper was one of the main fresh fish in season. Bahamas serve alot of conch --which we tried and liked. Everything from conch salad, conch chowder and conch fritters (at the Barefoot) all very tasty. I love seafood and I was looking forward to having lobster which wasn't offered in the restaurants, but they had shrimp, mussels and calamari so lots to choose from.

Marsha at the Conceirge desk was excellent getting us all set up our first afternoon with all our bookings.

They have the chocolate buffet one night, beach party and managers cocktail party another night -- so much the same as at other Sandals. We liked that they weren't bugging you to join in and do activities if you didn't want to -- but there was lots to keep you busy there -- shuffleboard, crochet, ping pong, volleyball, lawn hockey, scramble one afternoon on the golf course and even straw weaving.

The cabanas at both the pools are on first come basis.... and are free here -- Antigua and Ocho Rios they charged if you wanted to use the covered cabanas if you didn't have a butler. So that is a plus for anyone that likes to sit in the cabanas. We found you didn't have to be up early to get chairs either on the beach or at the pool. Always lots to choose from throughout the day.

We liked that it was a smaller resort and quiet. They had entertainment every evening or we would go the piano bar or the pub for drinks. The week was very relaxing... and only 10 minutes from the airport to the resort. Island is small but the people are big on making you feel welcome and safe during your stay. We will definitely return to this Sandals!

Room Tip: We were in Bayhouse 1 which was away from the main building. We had a walkout room with a patio whi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you had such a fabulous stay at Sandals Emerald Bay! The team there works extremely hard to make sure everyone feels like honored guests...and you are! The dining options are all delicious and we are happy you got to sample them all! This is the resort to unwind, be pampered and just relax!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
PHILADELPHIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This resort was breathtaking.By far the best sandals we have been to.Must see.It reminds me of
Whitehouse in Jamacia but little more modern. Plenty of room on the resorts enough restauirants
and plentyb of bars of all types.Emerald water is beyond belief ans even taking pictures does not justify its color.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to visit the bahamas for his son's wedding at the Sandals resort and booked our travel in April-We have traveled all over the Caribbean, US and World. When we checked in we were led to a room which did not look like the room we booked as we were promised an upgrade. We switched to a room with a butler for an additional 1200$. Mind you we were only there for four nights. The butlers were amazing I have to say.

All inclusive resort included food, beverages, water sports, etc... We tried several times to book scuba and snorkel and were given the run around. I tried to book a tennis lesson to no avail-the pro is only there a couple of hours in the morning mon-thurs. The room service was terrible but the buffet and the Italian restaurant were good. We tried to make reservations for larger party of 10 a couple of times and they would not take our reservation even though the resort was cleary not full. The main pool was fun and our butler kept a close eye on us to see if we needed beverages or snacks. The quiet pool was not as clean.

The resort is not large-one small gift shop that is very expensive and no boutiques-one very overpriced jewelry store although this does not surprise me being on a resort.

The morning of check out our flight left at 1:25pm-on Delta. They told us we had to check out at 9:30 and leave for the airport at 10:30. The airport is a joke-we waited in a tiny room for three hours-this was a ploy, in my opinion, to get us off the resort so we would not have lunch, drinks, anything else.

Overall we paid about a 1000$ a night for this stay-this does not include our airfare. We always stay in four or five star hotels much nicer than Emerald Bay. You mine as well stay on Grand Bahama or Nassau-My husband and I will never stay here again or any other Sandals resort.

Room Tip: Make sure you are specific about which room you will be in-choose the butler service if you can affo...
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my first stay at a Sandals resort. I came with my girlfriend to unwind and relax after a very busy work season. I was expecting a laid back casual beach atmosphere, instead I found the staff uptight and trying way too hard to uphold a brainwashed phony image. There's nothing REALLY classy about this resort and I'm not sure if all Sandals Resorts are operated the same but my stay here left me with an impression of an outdated ideal of pretentious classiness from the moment your greeted with a glass of cheap champagne at the door, to the dinner dress code, to the cheesy "Voila" by the waiter as they open the lid of your meal, to the golf guy telling me I'm not allowed to enter the shabby grounds without a collared shirt in 40+C weather. I was refused at the door of the Bahama Bay for dinner once because I showed up wearing shorts, dressy seersucker shorts and a collared short sleeve dress shirt.

Most of the staff are genuinely nice but you can easily spot the ones who aren't really happy being there like some of the bartenders at the pool who don't even want to serve you. The rooms are average but the water pressure in the bathroom is very weak and the water has a foul odor similar to afro scalp oil or perming solution/barber-sol.

The food here was sub-par to say the least. Sometimes the food on the menu wasn't even available...We had crab for dinner at "Barefoot by the Sea" it was so dry and old we couldn't even eat it. Don't expect fresh seafood here, expect frozen grouper instead.

The beach at first sight is beautiful, turquoise water and soft white sand and the main reason we chose to come to Bahamas. But the waves here can be unpleasant some days so don't wear sunglasses in the ocean or else you'll be buying a new pair at the gift shop. There was a lot of seaweed washed up on the shore as well as occasional garbage debris from near by islands that the resort had a tractor to rake it up. I noticed not too many of the guests swam in the ocean opting for the pool instead. They have a water sport hut at the beach offering free snorkeling but the staff there kept telling us everyday it was cancelled so we paid $350 through the resort for a 3 hour boat tour stopping along the way at a few small islands, feeding swimming pigs hot dogs and a short snorkel around a small reef with not many fish. Feeding the pigs was kinda fun but stay clear of their teeth and don't stand in front of them or they will scratch and kick you! They kept going after my girlfriend thinking her camera was food.

Around dinner time between 6-8 pm everybody disappears and the whole resort goes dark and quiet. The nightly entertainment wasn't so good. Overall, I had a relaxing stay, but I don't feel like I got my money's worth at this resort. I only stayed a week and towards the end I was starting to look forward to going home. I would hesitate to stay at another Sandals again, instead I would look for a younger more contemporary all-inclusive resort with a casual hipper atmosphere without all the the pretending to feel rich and classy vibe this hotel envisions as the ideal vacation getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We regret to hear that your stay was not as expected. We strive to uphold the highest standards of service and quality. Our staff goes through 120 hours of rigorous training each year to ensure we are providing excellent guest experiences. We have many guests that boast of our luxurious inclusions, water sports, fine dining, accommodations and quality of staff but as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and your feedback is appreciated.
Thank you for your review.
Montreal Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just came back of a fantastic week at Sandals Emerald bay, my wife and I stayed in the Cocoplum penthouse section on the beach. Room is great, clean. The bathroom is large with shower and bath. The view is amazing

Here's my review:

Restaurant: my wife and I definitely preferred the Italian restaurant over the French, Shantell and Brady made the experience something to remember....the Osso bucco was fantastic and the Lasagna the best after my wife or my mother in law lasagna...I am trying to be nice here…. Il Cielo is bright, the music is good ( Italian) and you have a lots of room between table, the service was quick and the plates warm. The desserts were also very good

The Bahama bay restaurant was good for breakfast and lunch as they offer a buffet or a la carte if you want something different. We tried it on our first night at SEB and the food was good and OK…my only recommendation, the staff should smile, they look angry. Also in all restaurants, they are serving you the Beringer Stone Cellar selection Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon wine included in the package....we didn't try the white....the wine was good....one suggestion, I would love to have a better wine selection of Italian wine in the italian restaurant and French in the French restaurant. The Dessert at the Italian restaurant were excellent, Chocolate lava cake and tiramisu to name a few.

But unfortunately the night that we went to the French restaurant they ran out of Creme Brule and the waiter didn’t want to provide me with a cappuccino.....he said SIR do you want me to run and get a cappuccino from another restaurant... (unfortunately they don't have a cappuccino machine at the French restaurant.....I don't understand this...anyway, any great restaurant should offer it on site) . I found the server a bit arrogant....so we left and went to see the nice Javardia at the cafe de Paris....she made the best coffee at Sandals and she even speak a little French with a great smile.... I would recommend her coffee to anyone.
We didn't try Drunken duck and Dino's. We had one lunch at Barefoot by the Sea restaurant, nice concept but I didn't like the flies around my food but there is no Windows and you are sitting feet in the sand, which is great....if you don't like it you go somewhere else....you have plenty of choices....what we did, this is not complaint here.

This trip to Sandals was our 24 trips in an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean and I can say that food was better overall which is good and the Italian restaurant was one of the best....can I order a take- out Lasagna please??!!! Go see Shantell, and Brady, they are so lovely and so nice, they made our experience delightful

The beach: just few words, Wow!, wonderful, warm water, clean and the most important so quiet, I will share some photos and I didn't photoshop the colors believe me

The butler: Dion, Deepak and Shekira took well care of us and sometimes with no notice, they went above their duties and provide us with what we need….on day we were on the golf course, Dion brought us a sandwich and drinks without asking…the most important part always with a great smile, they organized the cabanas on the beach, near the pool, brought us drinks and a cooler almost every day…, they made the reservation for us at the restaurants, it was our first experience with butlers and we liked it…..thank you Dion, Deepak and Shekira for making our trip something we will never forget.

Golf: I will review the golf course on a separate review, unfortunately, they made some improvements during the week but unfortunately they have a long way to go, the course looks nice but it needs a lot of TLC….Yes the back nine is nice with the 6 ocean holes and front nine is pretty tight with no signature holes but it needs to be cleaned, tee box and fairways manicured.

Tours: We took the half day safari TOUR with 007, it was great and fun, the oceans, the cays, the beach, iguanas, pigs were AMAZING…I am recommanding it, you need to see the cays around Exuma this is a must.

We had a great week to remember the rest of our life, Rooms, beach, water, pools, restaurants and the butlers….definitely The Bahamas, Exumas, is beautiful island and an hidden jewel of the Caribbean… I want to go back!

Room Tip: try the butler service it is great
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place is pretty expensive but it was really an amazing vacation. The all inclusive luxury was what we were willing to pay for.

But they could improve on the food. Not sure what to say except you feel the salads, fruit and desserts resonate similarity despite the different restaurants. They didn't have any lobster or crab the entire week, so I was a disappointed. The Italian and French Restaurants were awesome. Barefoot on the Bay was also a great atmosphere with decent food, just wish they had more of the seafood that I wanted....and they have cats that hang around that restaurant outside....while Im sure they are great for pest control they were a little annoying at times (running around and waiting around for food) to see them while we were eating.

I wish that the quiet pool was as clean and pristine as the main pool, but I loved the layout and the privacy it offered.

Thats all I can complain about.

Otherwise, the service was excellent. The rooms are serviced twice a day, and the beds are pure comfort. The sailing, snorkeling and scuba diving on the white beach kept me happy. We went in hurricane season and they were at low capacity, so we loved that it was quiet. The bartenders and piano bar keep you entertained, and there are tons of places to hide out and relax. I loved the spa too. And we got a three hour photo session on the golf course (part of the all-inclusive perks) and took home 10 incredible photos.

Thought it was great overall.

Room Tip: We had a garden view behind the quiet pool, and if you are up on second or third floor of these room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Emerald Bay! We are pleased that you did enjoy your stay.
We, as hoteliers, are always aware that to provide excellence we must constantly look for areas of improvement. We do appreciate your feedback and will forward your remarks to our key hotel personnel for consideration. We look forward to having you back and providing an even more amazing vacation experience!

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!