“Reminiscent of D Aykroyd and E Murphy in the last scene of Trading Places” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fowl Cay Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Exuma
Fowl Cay Resort
You added Fowl Cay Resort to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Villa   |   Fowl Cay, Great Exuma   |
Hong Kong, China
“Reminiscent of D Aykroyd and E Murphy in the last scene of Trading Places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We were looking for peace, quiet, seclusion, and tranquility and got them all. Add to that the excellent service from Wayland and Lisa-Ann, our butlers and it made for a memorable experience. We had a semi-private beach available to our house and the white sand was like powdery sugar . They give you your own golf cart to roam the island as well as your own boat to go exploring the dozens of surrounding cays and will even pack a picnic lunch upon request. You can also hire a fishing guide for a 1/2 or full day or just a regular guide to take you around the islands. I would rate the food very good overall and excellent for the Bahamas considering my visit to Atlantis in Nassau last yr. left me severely disappointed in the cuisine category. They also provide you with a fully stocked fridge and pantry including alcohol.

The water is pristine and warm, and there are enough activities for those not wanting to lay on the beach or comfortable hammock all day to keep occupied (fishing, snorkeling, tennis, etc.) The only drawbacks were the lack of a spa and the mosquitoes but it's so relaxing a massage isn't necessary and mosquitoes are generally expected down there. Lastly, bring lots of cash (boat hires, tipping, shopping, etc.). Oh and the 2 dogs others have complained about, I think, added a touch of charm to our experience.

The best part was spending quality time with my lovely Telma. Hi babe!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

Now our #1 spot for a "serious escape ". The water, the beaches, the views of nearby cays... magnificent ! Stayed in the "Birdcage" villa ... very tasteful ,high end fit and finish .... and best of all it's surrounded by fantastic views from literally every room on every side.

If you are looking to be alone, this is the place. The entire island/cay is private...hardly saw another guest... awesome secluded beaches.....truely like having our own private slice of paradise.

The staff could not have been better. Steve, Julie, Lisa (our butler) , Carol (the restaurent server), Pappy (the bar tender ) and the chef were so warm and friendly. Top notch service that you'd expect from a Four Seasons. They were there in a heart beat and willingly went the extra mile if we needed anything ; they excelled in special requests. As attentive as they were to our needs , they at the same time gave us all the freedom , privacy and space we wanted. Everyday was done on our time and in our way.

Someone previously posted a comment about the dogs. we read it before we left and truthfully had a concern since neither my wife nor I are dog lovers... I have to admit , even these dogs were friendly... never heard a bark .... and they are too funny ... they actually added to the charm of the place.

My only complaint .... they tempt you with too much good food and drink.

We've traveled alot.... doubt we'd find a better spot for a get away .

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

My family and I just got home from Fowl Cay and we loved it. The island is beautiful and the surrounding islands are nice as well. They give you a boat to travel around on and explore the exumas. In my opinion, being on the boat is both fun and you get to some pretty cool places. The chef, Anthony, was outstanding. Not only was his food amazing, but he is a great person to be around. Our butler, Shaniqwa was also great.

...p.s - the dogs there are awesome! 4 labs. they are friendly and safe.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Our vacation was the trip of a lifetime! The resort is exquisite and unique, and the service could not have been better. The personal attention was just right...not too much, not too little... with plenty of privacy whenever we wanted it. The staff paid great attention the details of our preferences, and made every effort possible to make our stay perfect. Chef Anthony is simply a master of his art and a dynamic and joyful personality. Our hosts Julie and Steve were warm and entertaining, with many a story of their days of working on board private yachts all over the world. They even joined us for a beach BBQ dinner one evening, and it was fascinating to learn about their adventures and travels. Our Butler, Lisa, was sweet and accommodating, even on the days that we couldn't make up our minds on what we wanted to do! Carol and Pappi only added to the sweet impression these native Bahamians have left on us for a lifetime. I will always remember their warm and welcoming smiles and hearty laughter!

We snorkeled (me for the very first time) and found the most beautiful sea shells and sand dollars I have ever seen. We took full advantage of the boat that came along with the villa, and have incredible memories of our day on Twin Cay, including a gourmet picnic lunch packed lovingly by Chef Anthony and Lisa. My husband fly fished for bone fish and was quite successful, with the help of one of the local guides "Bonefish Cliff". The pristine and untouched landscape of the uninhabited surrounding Islands made me feel like I was in a dream! The raw beauty of this destination is something that a very fortunate few get to experience. I consider myself truly blessed to have been able to experience such a place.

• Liked — The remoteness and natural surroundings.
  • Disliked — The report owner's dogs in the pool area.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

....If you want romance, relaxation, truly exceptional and extraordinary service and a chef whose food was heaven -- then there is no question that you will find it at fowl cay. But unfortunately I felt truly compeled to write this note due to "one" incredibly disappointing aspect of my 10 day stay in paradise. I was very disappointed that in this paradise that I waited all year to enjoy that I had to enjoy the week with 4 big energetic dogs owned by the Sandals Resort. Don't get me wrong If you are dog lover then this is your paradise but if you are allergic to dogs or just don't care for them then your paradise will be limited and restricted to certain areas due to the mandate that the dogs cannot be restrained and are allowed to use the island at will. So after a year of saving money for a dream week, my anticipation of nice private walks, private time by the beach, and enjoying the big cozy chair near the pool was met by jumping, active dogs up my butt, who didn't listen and dog hair on the best chair by the pool. I suddenly felt limited to my villa most of the time or purposefully plan to be on remote parts of the island or elsewhere to avoid them. I did not spend thousands of dollars to vacation along with 4 dogs or certainly not to be able to walk or enjoy the island freely. I was not only disappointed but felt sorry for the proprietors who when I asked several times to keep the dogs away from me, they were told by Sandals ownership never to lock up the dogs. Wow! the dogs were somehow more important then a paying high-end guest! I loved - I mean loved that island but I did feel disappointed that I couldn't fully enjoy all its beauty. How could the owners of Sandals in a high end resort not be sensitive to people with pet allergies or just people who don't care for animals for personal reasons. I do not want to take away from the incredible service and hospitality that was bestowed, as I think everyone did the best they could to figure out where I was to keep the dogs away, but I still felt sad that with running a business so looking forward to quiet and rest, that again I couldn't walk around freely and that for thousands of dollars I saved for this trip - I did not come first when it came to the dogs.

• Liked — The "chef"
  • Disliked — the 4 dogs jumping at me!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

This is a fantastic place if you want to have your peace in an relaxed and top quality environment. We found this 5-Star place by accident and didn't want to leave because it is so great. We got our own Villa, Golf Cart and motor-boat. You get butler service all day. The Villa is a fully equipped house with a full size kitchen. The fridge is full with almost everything you can possibly think of.

The staff on this little island is warm hearted, qualified and they really took care of us. The food is perfect. Lots of fish, great steaks and a nice bar with pool table.

We could not really find many negative points. My wife missed a bath tub (even though other Villas got them). A Spa would be great but we really did not miss it much. The atmosphere on this island is so relaxing. You don't need any more massage.

Overall we had a phenomenal time and would always come back.

Stayed January 2009
waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

Went for the weekend...
they kept it open just for us...
had the whole island to ourselves.
Julie and Steve were on vacation so Mr.Bain from the Sandals in Nassau was recruited to host us.
Chef Anthony and our butler Yolette were outstanding hosts.
We can't wait to return.
pristine in every way....and what they say about that water is completely and utterly true.
our house, the Lindon was gorgeous and comfortable.stocked with all of our needs with the best view of the ocean from our back porch.
you get your own personal golf cart to get around and a boat to master the seas.
It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
We flew to Nassau and then took Flamingo air to Staniel Cay....and then you get picked up by a beautiful boat....and you're there in about 10minutes.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — a bit of challenge to get to the island
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fowl Cay Resort? Share your experiences!