“Great location ! Felt very welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Surfers Manor
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Eleuthera Island Shores, 25511, Eleuthera   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Eleuthera B&B and Inns
USA
“Great location ! Felt very welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were welcome by the owner /manager with the biggest smile and the deepest belly laugh ever. Floyd really loves to make you feel like family. The decor is like most on any island simple and clean. Each meal is cooked to order based on what's available each day at marina. Grouper with mushroom sauce is his specialty. It's yummy. Floyd had some nice boards to use and he had some guest there that had great advice on the local breaks. Good thing cause the reef could have been tricky. All and all so glad we settled here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Flagler Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My family stayed here in early march for a surf and relaxation get away and all was fabulous. Floyd the owner and guest were an absolute amenity in helping us unwind , relax and find ourselves. Its like a bed and breakfast with privacy of a hotel. Floyd cooks what you request for each meal with pleasure. The hotel is quaint and inviting. A breathe of fresh air from the states with attention to detail in a minimalist fashion. We will be back!

Room Tip: This trip for surfing was much better than other local venues. We researched a few and some were in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Delray Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I traveled to Eleuthera in March for a surf trip. The island is absolutely stunning and the people are some of the kindest I have ever had the pleasure to meet. That being said, I got pretty skunked as far as the surfing goes but I think that's just a risk you take on a surf trip. If you're looking for guaranteed surf in the Caribbean, then Eleuthera is probably not your best choice, and from what I've heard, even when it's going off, it doesn't offer the quality and variety of other locales. Also, if you do pick Eleuthera for waves, this is definitely the closest place to "Surfer's Beach," though the road down to the beach requires an suv as there are some solid potholes.

As far as the accommodations go, we aren't the type to complain, so they were good enough for us. The restaurant was closed from hurricane damage the previous summer, though this wasn't explained to us before we booked, so that could've been bothersome to some people. However, the owners did give us a free upgrade so we had a stove to cook, which was really kind of them. There was an issue with an unauthorized charge on my credit card ($550!) months after we had already paid. This supposedly turned out to be their bank's fault and not their own. I was obviously irked, but again, the owners were very fair and were meticulous about making sure I got my money back.

Overall, if you're looking for a desolate and beautiful place instead of consistent surf, then Eleuthera is your place. And if you want a decent and affordable option to rest your head, then Surfer's Manor is an option worth considering.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

When I first looked at Surfer's Manor online - I was a bit concerned because it looks like a motel. We have stayed at motels in the Bahamas before and the little concrete cubicles can be a bit damp and calmy. I was wrong. Yes it is basically a motel and you have a little concrete cubicle, but there is enough attention to detail to make it more than just that - and a great bang for your buck. Crown molding, detailed ceilings, nice comfy furniture gives it more of a 'homey' feel. The sliding patio door out back allowed in a lot of light, the screen door on the front allowed for good fresh air circulation without having to worry about bugs. Lots of closet space as well as a good sized, nice dresser . More importantly the room was clean, smelled fresh and was very comfortable. The bed was excellent, TV had 57 channels, nice little fridge and microwave, coffemaker ( just no fresh water in the fridge ). The ancient a/c in the window was just for decoration - the zone a/c mounted high quickly cooled the room and sitting on the bed with the remote for the TV in one hand and the remote for the A/C in the other - was pure guy heaven. The bathroom was clean, good sized and the shower had great pressure. Heads up on the shower though, maybe it was just our unit, but the head had been replaced with one that you can take off and hold in your hand - trouble is it didn't quite fit right and if you put it back so it sprays on you - it falls off and hits you in the head-in my case twice before I figured it out. My girlfriend had it happen once before she caught the play (.you fill in the blanks there)and yes she showered first and no she didn't tell me. I probably should have turned off the TV earlier the night before. Anyways ......
The grounds were good sized and nicely manicured and out back was a payapa tree that we were welcome to help ourselves too. Good parking as well.
Surfers Manor is of course also about Surfer's Beach. Skyline Drive out front is the best paved access to the beach. ( don't let the name Skyline Dr fool you ...there is no such thing as a busy road on Eleuthera ...no street lights .only the odd stop sign ) The last little bit of road after the pavement was a bit too much for our rental car but the walk was short and pleasant. Others with more suitable wheels were able to drive almost right up to the beach. As long as you have a clue about surfing, this is the ideal place for the beach as well as being close to Gregorytown and of course Elvina's.
One of the best parts of holidays is the people you meet and Surfers Manor is a hub. The covered patio out front is a perfect place to relax, watch sports on the tube and drink beer. We met people from around the world and people from down the road...The Manor serves well as a crossroads and it's natural vibe is relaxing. Inside, the dining room is huge and the little bar tucked in the corner is just perfect...again with the sports channel on. Bottomline is that the owners care and it shows and it was ...great. This is true Bahamain hospitality through and through ( we spend our first week at Surfers Haven up the road. Arriving on a Sunday evening we had no place to eat, so we stopped at the Manor for supper. It was Floyd's birthday party and we were invited to join in. It's what the Bahamas is all about. But its best to let them know if you are coming back for supper, the next 2 nights we showed up @ 6 and they were closed ). In the morning there is a continental breakfast in the diningroom and you can sit out front on the patio drinking your coffee while checking your email on their wifi ( small cost ) .
Surfers Manor is also part of a tourist program that pays for part of your airfare from Nassau if you stay for a minimum period - I'm not exactly sure of the details, there was no literature there and I'm still waiting for the owners to email me about it. But it's worth checking with them about. I did shoot some video of the place and posted it on YouTube. @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGZcuUwiakk., have a look ( It's probably the only tour you will get beforehand, Surfers Manor was the only place that doesn't let you see a room first and the owner took great exception to me insisting on it - actually charged me an extra $10 when it was all said and done.)
All in all, this place was...great. Not a romantic hideaway, not the lap of luxury, no great sunrises or sunsets, no ocean views, that's not what Surfers manor is about. Very comfortable, very relaxing, very clean, very friendly ..very good value for your money. You could spend a week here and be very happy. It's ...great.

Video @ YouTube. @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGZcuUwiakk

Room Tip: Spend time on the patio - meet the people
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Lanham, Md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I spent three very comfortable days and nights at Surfer's Manor, from 3/2411 through 3/26/11. The rooms are clean, comfortable and up to date. The owner, Floyd, took excellent care of our group, preparing a delicious home-cooked dinner for us, with fresh fish and spiny lobster. We had simple but good breakfasts, too.

Floyd made sure that I had everything that I required. I was quite happy with my experience at Surfer's Manor, and have no hesitation at all in recommending it.

• Stayed March 2011
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

My visit was in February/March 2011. The place was dead. The owners / staff were very rude, slow and just money grabbing. The reality of this place far from the picture that they try to paint on its website.

The bar/restraunt opens from 12noon until 8. They do not do breakfast. They have very limited facilities.I think there are new owners which explains why the place has so rapidly gone down hill. Certainly the comment on the island is that the Surfers Manor is a dive and not what it used to be......AVOID this place if you can.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Surfers Manor is a wonderful and good value Hotel located in the heart of Eleuthera. It is a great alternative to the expensive hotels at Harbour Island and a good starting point for discovering the island. My girlfriend and me stayed at Surfers Manor for 5 days and we had a great and unforgettable time.

Location:
10 minutes to walk to the beach (unsuitable for swimming, but great for sunbathe & hiking)
5 Minutes to walk to the cliff at the other side (here you can watch the wonderful sunset)
5 minutes by car from Gregory town (small gift and food shops and a nice music bar)

Facility:
The room is clean and big enough for two. It is equipped with TV, air condition, ventilator, fridge, Microwave and wardrobe. The bathroom is also clean and big enough.

The restaurant has a big dinning room and a canopied terrace. The food is great. You should try the conch fritters and the guave cheese cake!!!

The staff is friendly and helpful. Floydia, the head of Surfers Manor, is a great host: talkative, funny and always interested in the well-being of her guests.

The area around the hotel is clean and nice decorated.

Tip:
You should definitly rent a car if you stay at Surfers Manor!!! (Possible at the gas station in Lower Bogue nearby North Eluthera Airport)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Surfers Manor? Share your experiences!