“Unique little Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bahamas Ocean Safaris

Bahamas Ocean Safaris
12th Street & Samuel Guy Street, Spanish Wells | The Bahamas Spanish Wells, 000, Eleuthera
1-242-470-1930
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 13 Activities in Eleuthera
Type: Islands, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Known for its crawfish, this small, picturesque island is a popular daytrip destination.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
“Unique little Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

After driving to Jeans Town we parked roadside and reported to the jetty to catch the $8 return Ferry that runs all day to Spanish Wells. In no time at all we were looking at the immaculate pastel shade buildings line the dock making for a very picturesque approach.
Opposite the dock we were able to hire a golf buggy for $10 per hour and tour the island and Russell Island too, This was lots of fun as we giggled our way around the streets exploring. Some of the beaches took our breath away and we wished we'd come prepared for a swim. A lovely place well worth a visit.

Downside- No where picturesque to enjoy a drink or food! We eventually pulled up at 'The Gap" where the food we had was appalling and not to be recommended, we chose a roast dinner, presented as a pile of sloppy mash with meat disguised in some kind to BBQ gravy mix. Terrible. Maybe we should have gone for burger and fries! The belligerent attitude of the staff with their unsmiling ways would not ever induce us to ever eat there again!

Visited April 2012

Cool Canuck
6 attraction reviews
“Peaceful safe and relaxing hideaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

I love Eleuthera but my mother loves the small community of Spanish Wells.. I have stayed 3 times now and can say it is really growing on me. The people are gracious and humble with a proud history. I was happy this year to notice a larger number of black Bahamians living working and socializing with the often misjudged white population. I almost hate to recommend this quiet paradise as I do not wish to see it become overrun. For those who feel that a lack of booze 24-7 is a problem there is a bootlegger on island with a fair selection, saving a ferry ride. Excellent lobster and grouper at The Anchor.

South Louisiana
12 attraction reviews
“Nice day trip and try to include Ben Bay and or Preacher's cave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

You will have to take a ferry there. Ben Bay is a nice snorkel. Get groceries at the large store. You take a left on the first major road on the left after passing the road to the right that goes to the North Eleuthera Airport. Further north Queen's Hightway dead ends. Make a leth the an immediate right to get to Ben's Bay and Preacher's Cave. If you don't make a right to Ben's Bay and go to the end of the road you will get to Spanish Wells ferry.

Visited October 2011
GA
9 attraction reviews
“Pretty homes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Big difference between Eleu, Harbour Isl and Sp Wells. Cost alot less! Storybook looking homes.

Visited June 2011
Ulster, PA
“Re-connect with your family in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have stayed in Spanish Wells for 4-6 weeks at a time the past 4 years. We absolutely love the island and the people who live here. Our grown children and their families come to stay for a week or more each year. Our young grandsons talk about our trips to Spanish Wells all the time with excitement. The water is very shallow and the beach is never too busy. We find treasures on the beach every day like sea stars, conchs, sea urchins, sand dollars, and many shells. They love taking a walk at night to the GAP to get ice cream. I feel completely safe bringing my family to Spanish Wells unlike many other islands we have visited on many cruises. We watch the cruise ships float by in the evenings. We have a very nice grocery store nearby that is pretty well stocked and getting better every year! We kayak, walk the beach, float on rafts, snorkel, ride bikes, read books and actually re-connect with our kids by having conversations. Something that most families don't take the time to do anymore. We have all the amenities of home, Wifi, cable TV, washer & dryer.We use Skype to keep in touch with our family, friends and business. After reading some of the nasty, negative reviews , I come to the realization that it's sad that so many people just can't entertain themselves.Hello...cook dinner together, play cards or board games, put on some music and slow dance with your lover or teach your grandkids how to dance.Don't blame the island because you lead a BORING LIFE! Every year I meet new friends on the beach, and yes, I have met some people on the island who would prefer the island to stay as it has been for decades, but not everyone shares their opinion and go out of their way to ensure you have a great time in Spanish Wells. We rent a golf cart from Johnny Underwood on 24th St. His family is amazing...what great friends they have become to my family! Jody & Tara Pinder rent a beautiful beach house called Ocean Dreams (go to vrbo.com to find rental homes). They also have been wonderful to my family and go out of their way to ensure their guests have a marvelous time in Spanish Wells. I could go on and on. We have traveled extensively...Spanish Wells is our favorite place in the world to get away from everyday life!

Visited February 2012