“Sea Glass Cottage. Escape From It All!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seaglass Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eleuthera
Seaglass Cottage
Save Saved
You added Seaglass Cottage to your Saves list
Eleuthera   |
Jupiter, Florida
“Sea Glass Cottage. Escape From It All!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I have been traveling to Eleuthera for many years. As a former employee of Pan Am, I flew to Eleuthera many times and made many friends on the island. My husband and I flew our own plane all throughout the Bahamas and visited many islands. However, Eleuthera is special and I like to return as often as I can. I call it the magic island because Eleuthera is always where I see the most beautiful birds, water, butterflies, seashells, stars, waves, etc. etc.

I recently stayed at Seaglass Cottage, Rainbow Bay, for a week in September. The weather was delightful. Aside from a brief tropical storm that brought a lot of rain (always welcome), the Atlantic was beautiful and I was able to swim several times. The water temperature was perfect and I saw a lot of tropicals while snorkeling at Hidden Beach. The one thing I did not see on the beach was other people. It was perfect!

I like Seaglass Cottage and have stayed there three times. I like it because it's close to the beach, the view is gorgeous, and the house is decorated with seashells and things from the sea. OK - it looks like a beach house and I love that about it.

If you like to cook, I highly recommend THIS HOUSE. The kitchen is really well stocked. You can even find obscure things in the drawers like lemon squeezers, garlic presses and egg separaters! The power went off and there were the lanterns! The owners put a lot of thought into providing all of the essentials AND more (like their amazing collection of music!). I found several seashell guide books on the bookshelf which I enjoyed perusing.

A trip to the beach is a quick walk down the road. Hidden Beach is lovely and the swimming was spectacular. I walked up to the next beach (the Come and Go Beach) and found wonderful treasures. I am passionate about shelling and found some nice specimens! Shelling was also excellent in James Cistern on the seaside.

The amenities at Seaglss Cottage include: terrific view, excellent kitchen, comfortable king size bed, and lots and lots of art. This house does not have the fancy stuff - internet, satellite TV, central AC. The window unit AC in my bedroom was very adequate and I liked feeling the breeze (wind!) blowing through the living room. The coffee table is very cool. It's a glass top table made by the owner and it's filled with seaglass and shells. I felt like I had my own personal beach right in front of me every morning when I had my coffee! You can see a picture of it at the owners' website - www.seaglasscottagebahamas.com.

If you really love the beach, you'll love this house. It accommodates two adults and you'll find plenty of room and privacy, and because it's on the Atlantic, wonderful waves and a nice breeze. The moon was beautiful rising right over the water.

I can't wait to return!

Solo
Business
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

We recently stayed at Seaglass Cottage in the Rainbow Bay area which proved to be an excellent choice for several reasons. Seaglass is perfect for a couple trying to relax “and get away from it all”(we did not use a phone, watch TV, listen to the radio for the week we were there and only used the internet one night at a restaurant to check for any problems back home): no other homes close by; overlooks the Atlantic (the sound of waves will put you to sleep each night); comfortable and decorated with the owner’s art work so it is not ultramodern and sterile, but has the feel of a real coastal home; near several beaches and restaurants we enjoyed; had snorkel gear available for our use; and the price was extremely reasonable. We would really like to return to Eleuthera and would definitely stay at Seaglass again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

We recently returned from 10 days on Eleuthera staying at Seaglass Cottage. This was our first trip to the island. This review is taken from a much longer trip report that we wrote for family and friends. I’ll be happy to send the complete document to anyone who would like it. Just send me a PM.

Here’s a link to photos that document our trip. The sequence is coordinated with the trip report. It includes photos of the cottage and surrounding area. http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/lasermansxm/Eleuthera%20March%202010/

It is frequently mentioned by those who love Eleuthera that this island is not for everyone, and that would be the same for Seaglass. But, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay on the island and at Seaglass. We will certainly be back.

Seaglass is located on Ocean Dr. overlooking the Atlantic on Hidden Beach Cove in the Rainbow Bay community. It’s about a 30 minute drive south of North Eleuthera Intl. Airport ((ELH) and 20 minutes north of the village of Governor’s Harbor. It is exactly as described in the VRBO listing, a quaint, rustic beach cottage in a remote area with incredible views.

Seaglass is a true “beach house”, nothing fancy, but everything we needed to be comfortable. It is surrounded on three sides with a large wraparound deck. It faces north with the sun rising off the kitchen deck and setting off the bedroom. The deck along the front is in the shade all day, at least this time of year (March). The deck is furnished with a table and 4 chairs, 4 Adirondack chairs, a hammock and 3 sunning platforms. You can find the perfect place to read, take in the sun or just relax any time of day, or night.

There are no street lights, so no light pollution. Most evenings we see an incredible array of stars. The Milky Way is a broad swath across the sky. Clouds on some evenings block the scene, but it is something to remember.

You can see the ocean from every room except the bath. It is rented as a 1-BD, 1-BA, there is a second BR, but it is locked. The owners are concerned that the cistern would not support more than 2 people especially during the dry season.

The owners are artists and the cottage is decorated with fun water colors and collages made from “beach junk”.

There is a small apartment (converted garage) attached to the rear. It is occupied by Lucles (Luke-lis), their Haitian gardener. He also takes care of other properties in the area. He was hardly ever around, we would see him ride off on his bicycle most mornings. He is very friendly, but unobtrusive.

The kitchen is well stocked with enough dishware, utensils and appliances for two houses. The bed is a king, firm but very comfortable. Tap water is from the 7000 gal. cistern under the deck. There is a 5 gal. bottle of drinking water when you arrive and you are asked to replace it for the next guests. You are asked to conserve, reminded with a plaque in the bathroom that reads “On these isles of sun and fun, we never flush for number one.” This is not a problem for us. Having lived through several droughts in Santa Barbara I know the routine.

We would highly recommend Seaglass to those who prefer to take the road less traveled. It provided us with a good location to explore the island and a peaceful spot to relax. We remember fondly the sound of the waves at night crashing against the cliffs at Hidden Beach Cove. We absolutely enjoyed our first adventure to Lutra!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We just returned from Eleuthera and we spent 9 days at the Seaglass Cottage. It exceeded our expectations. We felt like we were at home, very cozy. The owners did a great job renovating the place and we very nice and helpful. Ocean view of the Atlantic from our porch. Hidden Beach within walking distance. We would stay at Seaglass Cottage again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

you have to check out this amazing site!! to get a great feel for seaglass cottage ~ the house is awesome - private right next to the sea! with a wonderful view from every window in the house!
the owners have decorated with lots of their own personal art and the light and colors of the islands are everywhere!

eleuthera is a great island and it is easy to get around - really laid back with wonderful beaches around every corner!!!!!

hope to go back soon! [--]

Been to Seaglass Cottage? Share your experiences!