“Relaxation at its best!” 5 of 5 stars

FLY FREE!!!
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Cat Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Relaxation at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I love beach vacations. I have been known to say that I have never visited a beach as beautiful as Destin in Florida. I now have to retract those words. Cat Island has not only the most beautiful beaches I have seen in a long time, it also lacks the crowds, noise, over extravagance of inclusive resorts and commercial beach developments.
I was fortunate enough to happen upon "The Ocean Dream Beach Resort" as I surfed the net trying to find the perfect get-away where I would not have to deal with crowds, rude people, tip- hungry staff, and crime.
The Ocean Dream is the only establishment on the Atlantic side of Cat Island. You literally have to take a dirt road to get to the beach cottages. There is no Wi-Fi, no pool, no concierge. Instead there is Desiree and Nick--the most hospitable, friendly, and helpful hosts I have ever dealt with (including myself). In addition they do all the cooking, and it is wonderful; especially considering Nick's Greek influence on the cuisine.
Our two bedroom (kitchen, living room, bathroom) cottage overlooked the beautiful surf of the Atlantic Ocean. Sand more powdery and white than Destin, and surf a deeper turquoise and clearer than Destin. For 3 days we enjoyed the 5 miles of deserted beach down from our back patio, without seeing another person--only Minute, the famous guard dog. However, that is another concept unfamiliar to most--no guard dog is needed. Crime on the island does not exist--we never locked our doors. The windows were always open and the fans slowly ushering in the wonderful ocean breezes.
Which brings me to the people of Cat Island. They are friendly, unpretentious , helpful, and loving. The only rude person I encountered was at the car rental agency (I think Gilberts is the store it functions out of). She wanted to argue with everything I said. She was the only person that had that 20+ entitlement attitude so prevalent here in the States.
I did spend a day on the Caribbean side of the island taking an eco and snorkeling tour with Mark. We went from viewing hundreds of turtles, mating sharks, rays, and tropical fish in the secluded Mangrove regions to snorkeling on two coral reefs. It was a wonderful day. One can appreciate how careful the island people are about protecting their wildlife. Mark operates out of
Fernandaz Bay Resort, which his wife manages. This resort is nice--but still a resort, you encounter tourist everyday and the restaurant food is expensive (and quite frankly not as good). But for those that need other people and like quiet waters (no surf), this may be your choice.
Give me the deserted beaches, the wonderful Atlantic surf, and the hospitality of Desiree and NIck---I will take that anytime. If I want people or day trips I will visit the accommodations on the Caribbean side--but I will stay on the Atlantic side. i can't believe I have found a wonderful hide-away as close as the Bahamas. I am almost apprehensive to post this review because it will mean that all of you guys out there may flock to "my deserted island" and Desiree's and Nick's "OCEAN DREAM RESORT"!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
serviceac, Manager at The Ocean Dream Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort is the best kept secret this side of the Bahamas and we are so glad that you have discovered us. Yes, more persons will find us too, but that will not take away from the serene, magnificent, breathtaking experience that is available for all to enjoy.

We welcome you back in the not too distance future for another dose of The Ocean Dream!

Marketing Manager
The Ocean Dream Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We were on the Island a few days, so we decided to stop by to check out the new resort. The Ocean Dream is nestled at the top of a hill in Smith's Bay, which is close to the center of the Island. The Villas and Restaurant are draped in beautiful tropical colors. What a breath taking sight! As I stood on top of the hill and looked north, there lied a lovely array of greens in the valley. The property must be at least 80 feet above ground/ sea level. I looked towards the south and saw miles of picturesque beach with turquoise water and pink sand. Yes, I said pink sand. We could not leave after being captivated with such splendor.

My group and I decided to have lunch there and just soak in everything. "If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up, I thought." When lunch came we were well pleased with our selections. I had Grouper Fingers with Salad and Lemonade. I ate every single bite. The cool ocean breeze was a natural air condition for us and we sat there a few minutes longer just enjoying the atmosphere. We paid an average of $23 per person for our meal, which is not bad for the Island. Thank you Desiree and Nick for a delightful meal and friendly conversation.

We will definitely be staying at Ocean Dream Beach Resort during our next visit to Cat Island.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
desiree c, Manager at The Ocean Dream Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2015
It wasn't a dream. The Ocean Dream Beach Resort is as real as it gets! However, we know that the incredible ocean views and the laid back peaceful environment that our property offers are the things that dreams are made of. Happy you enjoyed your holiday!
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I cannot say enough about The Ocean Dream Beach Resort. We lived in Shell Shack cottage. The cottage was very clean and spaced far apart from the other cottages to offer lots of privacy. My partner and I brought our surf boards and had a blast surfing on the Atlantic ocean.
At lunch we would grab a bite at their restaurant. Just thinking about the fresh conch salad , grouper fingers and fried sweet plantains makes me hungry. Overall we had an incredible stay. We can't wait to go back and we have only been home for two days! Great resort, food and beach.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thrilled to know that your best vacation ever!!!! was at The Ocean Dream Beach Resort. Thank you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Come on down to The Ocean Dream Beach Resort is truly a relaxing and enjoyable place. A home away from home, it's like everything you would want a dream vacation to be. What a wonderful feeling, feels like you're in paradise. If you are looking for a place to just relax, eat tasty food, enjoy the fresh breeze, feel the nice cool sand between your toes and watching the ocean view. This is the place to be for a nice relaxing vacation!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind endorsement. You, like scores of other world travelers think the property is pretty amazing to! Please come again soon.
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We were lucky to find out about The Ocean Dream Beach Resort from a recommendation a local gave us while staying on Cat Island. We have been to the island before but this place is brand new (It has only been opened for a month I believe) and we were eager to give it a try. We went there for lunch one afternoon (without calling ahead) and they were easily able to accommodate us. The whole menu was available to order (without calling ahead the menus are usually limited – not here!) The food was absolutely delicious! Mainly the only food type you will find on Cat Island is traditional Bahamian cuisine, which is great! But here there is a different feel and a few different options (Greek). They give you a complimentary appetizer to start, it is freshly made pita bread with tzatziki to dip – it was phenomenal. I have never had better (which says a lot!) We practically inhaled it, which is why I failed to get a picture. The rest of our meals were great too, local cracked conch, with peas and rice, plantains and potato salad, their signature salad, and wings! (The wings were great) The views here are amazing, and I’ve not found a better lookout on the island (another reason why we were lucky to find it) We were also able to meet the owner who is a very friendly Greek man, he was very hospitable and even showed us inside some of the sea cottages you can rent. They are all brand new, and very spacious (love the smell of new houses). They all have panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and a lovely cross breeze that cools them down. We would definitely stay here now that we know it exists! Great location, great accommodations, great food and an awesome host/staff! I have a feeling this will soon be one of Cat Islands Gems.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for coming. Happy that you had an awesome time at The Ocean Dream Beach Resort!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

At the ocean dream resort it is exceptional y beautiful In so much that my friend said "they have hit the mark" the welcome drink quenched are thrust after a long journey - it was so refreshing.
As we walked to rooms we were festinated with the view, so much that it took us a while to settle in. We just stood and looked and looked. The Atlantic Ocean was just breadth taking. the many shades of blue and the milky white waves, added to the tranquility of the resort. Did I see a stretch of pick sand? yes it was miles and miles long. In my excitement _I said: this place is just magical". The food was excellent. The staff were very attentive and our - accommodation got value for our monies. You have to go to know.

Room Tip: Rooms are beautifully decorated.. The food is just of chain
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Phenomenal! Thank you so much for your kind words. Our goal is to continue to work to make The Ocean Dream Beach Resort even better every day!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had the great opportunity to be one of the first at The Ocean Dream Beach Resort, and let me say it is SPECTACULAR! As you drive up it just transforms your mind because you are in PARADISE! The cottages are new and spectacular, each cottage is like a house they are huge and spacious, you really get good value for your money. The view is unlike any other, this is where everyone going to Cat Island needs to stay! The beach is AMAZING! You could sit there for hours and the fresh breeze calms your mind, the sand is like powder, it is just unexplainable this place is a MUST SEE! I have had the opportunity to stay at other hotels on Cat Island but the edge that The Ocean Dream Beach Resort has on them is: You get a bigger cottage, the food at the restaurant is good at a great price, and it’s quieter. The staff was friendly and very helpful, I also went into the little gift shop at the resort to get some souvenirs and they have some great stuff. Everything you need is at this resort. I was on business but to be honest this was a mini vacation. This will be our annual vacation spot going forward, Ocean Dream Resort KEEP MY ROOM READY!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
We aim to make your vacation dreams come true. We are so pleased that you loved the property. Thank you for your kind endorsement.

Been to The Ocean Dream Beach Resort? Share your experiences!